LS All Motor Build

I am seriously thinking of not buying a B18C and just building my LS motor. Like most Honda tuners, I would love a VTEC engine, but I don’t have much money to do a swap. I have heard and done research on LS all motor builds, and have heard good things about them. I think if I build it right, I can be able to run against VTEC engines. I don’t know much about what to get. My LS right now just have bolt-ons. Megan header, Password JDM Carbon Fiber Intake, Blox test pipe, and a Tanabe Super Medallion Touring Catback exhaust. This is what I know I should get to build a powerful and reliable LS.

• Aftermarket cams and cam gears
  • Aftermarket valve, springs, and retainers
  • Performance Intake Manifold
  • B16 pistons or ITR pistons
  • A few good dyno tunes.

Basically, I’m a noob, but I am anxious to learn and can’t wait to get started on this build. I hope I can accomplish this and at the end, be able to run against VTEC cars. Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.:rockon:

nice. high compressions pistons ftw! are you thinking of going ls/vtec or just ls?

go high compresion like crower or eyndyn. your best option would be one of there stroker kits. if you have deep pocket i recommend eyndyn. but if you want to run a ls against a vtec then you need deep pockets. good luck with the build.

P30 pistons
EXOspeed cams
JGE valvetrain

ported intake manifold I have one for sale:)

A better header for sure ITR

Sounds similar to what I’m working on.

Port polished head
3 angle valve job
crower stage 2’s
crower springs, valves, retainers
edelbrock manifold
itr header
68mm TB
ITR pistons

all on an automatic DB7

Thanks for all the advice. I’m just building a LS. Yep high compression for reals. My build is going to take some time though as colllege students are always so broke. HAHAHA. Will update when I get my parts in.

you should go with the p30’s higher comp and a gsr or b16 auto trans with a level 10 converter

[QUOTE=team123luder;2050699]Sounds similar to what I’m working on.

Port polished head
3 angle valve job
crower stage 2’s
crower springs, valves, retainers
edelbrock manifold
itr header
68mm TB
ITR pistons

all on an automatic DB7[/QUOTE]

It’s a friends wife’s car. So she isn’t looking to raunch on peeps. We’re just trying to make use of left over items we have just floating around.

Leftovers? lol. I wish I had leftovers like that. Wanna sell 'em? LOL…nah seriously.

I have a crap load of items just rotting in my back yard, even a minty 92-93 OEM front lip

what color is your car^^?

My car is blak the lip is white

would it not be cheaper to just build a ls vtec with a cam and a good tune :S

I’m currently building a little LS beast myself…

Stage 3 race port w/ 6-angle valve job
Crower 403’s (MAYBE)
P30 pistons
Polished crank
Shotpeened LS rods
96 integra oil pump
Crower valve springs
Skunk2 intake manifold
Full msd ignition
Adjustable cam gears
DC 4-2-1 header
2 1/2" exhaust
And a DAMN good tune!

I just built my buddy an all-motor LS/VTEC in a DA with the same headwork and similar bolt-ons…I’m TRYING to build an LS that’ll at least HANG with that TEC

Get a better header and larger TB…

oh and you don’t need to use MSD ignition. It’ll be just useless. The stock system is great up to around 300whp.

How much are you looking at, in terms of money, for all those parts?

yea, what’s your budget? I’m just finishing an LS all motor build (see my thread) and it gets pricey. I went with the P30 pistons.

You’d said you don’t have the money to do a swap, but want a powerful and reliable LS…those statements don’t jive IMO. swapping in a used B16 would probably be considerably cheaper. To build your LS right for power and reliability you’re talking about reboring/honing to get the clearances you want, polishing your crank, refinishing your rods, ARP bolts/studs, all new bearings/seals/gaskets/etc. That’s damn near $1000 right there. Then another $700 or so for cams/gears/springs. Then you get into larger injectors for the compression bump, tuning, engine management, etc.

I don’t mean to talk you out of it…this is what I chose to do. But I don’t think building an LS for performance and reliability is the less expensive option compared to a a quick swap for a used VTEC. You’d probably get better power out of a well built NA LS vs a stock B16…but it’s not the cheap route.

Well I lucked out on a LOT of parts…I got a DEAL on the headwork ($250) since I have a good buddy that’s been doing headwork for 30something years…pistons for $150, everything else I bought at wholesale due to where I work.

I’ll say by the time I get it together and get it tuned, i’ll probably have $1500 in the build. I suppose I could have just bought a vtec motor and gotten more power with the same stuff, but I like being different lol!

Not too many people spend their money on the LS because of “flaws” in the motor that keep it from making big power (ex. Head flow, weak head bolts, BAD r/s ratio…), but I feel that if u fix all the issues and keep it under 8k rpms, making “vtec” power should be more than possible. It’ll be a pain in the a$$ to drive on the street, but I think the looks on peoples faces when they don’t see a vtec badge on the valve cover or a turbo will be WELL worth it!

[QUOTE=team123luder;2053681]Get a better header and larger TB…

oh and you don’t need to use MSD ignition. It’ll be just useless. The stock system is great up to around 300whp.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on the ignition! I’ve read somewhere that you don’t really need msd unless you’re turboed or sprayin, but if it doesn’t do what I want at the track, I’ll probably plant a bottle in the back lol…just planning ahead!

What header do you recommend? I have an ebay special 4-1 (huge runners and a puny 2" collector). I thought about buying a 2.5" collector and welding it up, but I can’t find a collector that staggers the 4 pipes into 1…plus I’d rather have a good quality header.