bought new S1 b16 tranny for my stock ls. what parts can i reuse?

i hope to god that this damn tranny has no grinds or popouts :sad::sad:

i have a stock 93. cuzin needs a tranny. so im selling him mine. and bought myself a b16 trans for my b18. ill buy my b16 motor soon.

will i be able to use my axles? i have ABS, does it matter?
what about the flywheel or the clutch? am i missing anything else?

what transmission oil is the best for that tranny?

thanks for the help. im swapping it tomorrow :rockon:

use Honda MTF, replace both axel sides(right and left side). What year cable b16 trans? your 93 so I hope you did your homework.

If you are going from a ys1 transmission to an older s1 you will need to replace your clutch. The splines are different between the two.

update: from what i have been reading, this is what i have understood:

i can use my old axles. all b series axles fit. you just have to buy em specific for your car. so i need new integra 90-93 axles.

all b series flywheels fit all b series motors. i shud just resurface or buy new lightened fly wheel.

my ys1 92-93 trany used a 92-93 clutch. s1 trannys use 90-91 clutch. i shud buy a 90-91 clutch.

can anyone confirm this info? please. when they say clutch kit, they mean just the clutch, right?

[QUOTE=dlg0187;2045410]update: from what i have been reading, this is what i have understood:

i can use my old axles. all b series axles fit. you just have to buy em specific for your car. so i need new integra 90-93 axles.

all b series flywheels fit all b series motors. i shud just resurface or buy new lightened fly wheel.

my ys1 92-93 trany used a 92-93 clutch. s1 trannys use 90-91 clutch. i shud buy a 90-91 clutch.

can anyone confirm this info? please. when they say clutch kit, they mean just the clutch, right?[/QUOTE]
All your info is correct. Don’t bother getting new axles unless yours are bad. Clutch “kit” typically includes: clutch disk, pressure plate, alignment tool, rlease bearing, and pilot bearing.

I personally would have kept your YS1 and stayed away from the S1. Depends on what your goals are and when you want to accomplish them, but the YS1 is the more longterm solution to all your trans needs. If your S1 isn’t in good condition there isn’t a lot you can do. YS1’s can be rebuilt with OEM parts or even have newer gearsets swapped in.

[QUOTE=Colin;2045460]All your info is correct. Don’t bother getting new axles unless yours are bad. Clutch “kit” typically includes: clutch disk, pressure plate, alignment tool, rlease bearing, and pilot bearing.

I personally would have kept your YS1 and stayed away from the S1. Depends on what your goals are and when you want to accomplish them, but the YS1 is the more longterm solution to all your trans needs. If your S1 isn’t in good condition there isn’t a lot you can do. YS1’s can be rebuilt with OEM parts or even have newer gearsets swapped in.[/QUOTE]

Same reason I am waiting on a ys1. I want to use 94+ gsr 2-4, 4.7 fd, and oem lsd.

yes, ive heard you can swap in gsr internals on a ys1, even make it lsd. you see, my goal is to have a basic b16 swap. and since the opportunity arose, and i have a buyer for my ys1, i thought i should swap tranny now, swap motors later.

what you guys said, really made me think twice, tho. but in the end, since i want a b16, i dont think pairing it with my ys1 would be a good idea. i dont even know where to start if i wanted to swap in gsr internals. id have to find a trans, find someone to do it, and i definately cannot spend more than i already have on parts, labor, etc. :sad:

colin, do you know any shops where i can buy a performance clutch? all the places i know of are online. i cant wait that long. im looking for an exedy stage 1.

I used an ebay seller for my exedy OEM clutch. Look hard enough and you’ll find a seller in Brea, CA who usually lets you pick it up. I got the clutch kit and 8 lb fizanza flywheel for $280, which was a great deal.

You should also replace the clutch return spring and Rear crankshaft seal while you are in the clutch area. Spring is like 4 bucks and seal is maybe 20 bucks.

*maybe i should start a new thread instead of asking the following:

yes, i should replace the seals and spring. thanks

is this the ebay item you are talking about? they are in brea. can someone confirm?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-FIDANZA-FLYWHEEL-90-91-INTEGRA-B18_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c293Q3a3Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem5d255b5477QQitemZ400058700919QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2496wt_1191

at the moment, i can only afford to make one of these choices:
should i buy the exedy OEM clutch and 7.5 lb flywheel for my b18?
should i buy the stage 1 exedy clutch and KEEP my stock flywheel?

i want reliability, this is my daily driver, i do not mind the risk of my car being harder to drive in stop and go traffic, but i also like comfort, yet ill sacrifice for a little more hp/acceleration. confused. im reading all these stories of peoples car stalling with such light flywheel. and others say its almost close to stock. others say the rpms drop so fast when shifting. dam. everyones story is diff.

Yup, gripforce is who I bought from a couple months ago.
Get the stage 1 if you have more than just basic bolt ons, such as cams, tuned, headwork. Get the lighter flywheel if you want a more involved driving experience. I have a b17 with bolt ons and the OEM exedy with the fidanza is just fine. If you watch your tachometer when you drive and pay attention when you get the shift wrong, you can figure out what you need to change with your footwork to get it right.