Would an Engine Oil Cooler help my cars general performance?

I have recently decided to seriously start looking at putting an engine oil cooler in my car. When the Oil temp is under 190 the car is supper fast and probably gets better gas millage. When the Oil temp gets around 210 or 220 then the car noticeably drops off in performance. I guess my question is would an Engine Oil Cooler really keep my car running at 200 or below all the time? If so what Oil Cooler is a good one to get?

mfactory or mishimoto both make good oil coolers.

i was looking into an oil cooler also, still havent decided which one ,i heard not to go bigger than a 6 row if i am not mistaking

oil temp doesnt really effect your engines overall performance, its your engines water temp that effects your engines overall performance.
before you look into a oil cooler you might want to consider getting a aftermarket Mishimoto radiatore to help keep your engines temp down and frosty.

the cons of a auxilary oil cooler is that it will effectively do its job and over cool your oil under its recommended operating temp of 160 not sure but you can look it up. I think full syn oil can take high temps.
point is unless your turbo and your motor runs at a constant 220 temp its not a good idea.

if you get a new aluminum rad and its still doesnt work for you then get a lower temp thermostat under 180…

sorry for bringing this back but i just found this while browsing and it didnt seem like his question was answered.

[QUOTE=half twisted;2054095]oil temp doesnt really effect your engines overall performance, its your engines water temp that effects your engines overall performance.
before you look into a oil cooler you might want to consider getting a aftermarket Mishimoto radiatore to help keep your engines temp down and frosty.

the cons of a auxilary oil cooler is that it will effectively do its job and over cool your oil under its recommended operating temp of 160 not sure but you can look it up. I think full syn oil can take high temps.
point is unless your turbo and your motor runs at a constant 220 temp its not a good idea.

if you get a new aluminum rad and its still doesnt work for you then get a lower temp thermostat under 180…

sorry for bringing this back but i just found this while browsing and it didnt seem like his question was answered.[/QUOTE]

There is quite a bit of questionable or partial misinformation in this post be wary of what you read. Remote Oil cooler thermostats are designed specifically to deal with low oil temperatures.

point im trying to stress is that he he isnt happy with his oil temp then he should try the lower thermostat before he does the extreme of a remote oil cooler. besides he should stay away from the remote oil cooler unless he is pushing some serious power like 250hp

[QUOTE=half twisted;2054095]oil temp doesnt really effect your engines overall performance, its your engines water temp that effects your engines overall performance.

sorry for bringing this back but i just found this while browsing and it didnt seem like his question was answered.[/QUOTE]

low temp thermostats are a waste of money and time. and oil cooler is not. oil temps that are too high can rob horsepower much faster than a rising water temps.

have you searched lot temp thermostats? read the posts of people who talk about how their car never reaches the normal operating temperature, vtec doesn’t crossover b/c of it, hvac doesn’t work properly blah blah blah.

in endurance racing oil press and temp are the two main things drivers watch. when oil temps start to rise past a certain point, the car starts to loose power, and the have to drive accordingly.

why would honda put oil coolers on some cars if it wasn’t helpful? all our thermostats have the same temp rating however. curious.

[QUOTE=icemanGSR;2054365]low temp thermostats are a waste of money and time. and oil cooler is not. oil temps that are too high can rob horsepower much faster than a rising water temps.

have you searched lot temp thermostats? read the posts of people who talk about how their car never reaches the normal operating temperature, vtec doesn’t crossover b/c of it, hvac doesn’t work properly blah blah blah.

in endurance racing oil press and temp are the two main things drivers watch. when oil temps start to rise past a certain point, the car starts to loose power, and the have to drive accordingly.

why would honda put oil coolers on some cars if it wasn’t helpful? all our thermostats have the same temp rating however. curious.[/QUOTE]

I really can’t comment on what you wrote, I can’t understand your points of argument because your language structure and grammar are so broken.

^then answer the guy’s question!!

:werd: I think im following you a bit, but i think a low temp thermostat is the cheapest and quick fix to his high oil temp. It would make sense to add a aux oil cooler if he was autox or any other type of racing but he never mentioned that. I still think you dont need a aux oil cooler unless your running a turbo, high compression or high hp numbers, they all build heat and should adress all coolants and fluids with a aux cooler…