jdm LSD??

i was wondering if anyone knows were i could find a parts # or a marking to confirm that i have a jdm b16 ys1 LSD??? i recently pickd one up from a local shop that tryd to install it in a s1 case and found it didnt fit …i have a db2 with the gsr ys1 cable trans and was planning to install it soon ,just want to be sure its going to work ?same ys1 case different gear ratio??any info would help thx

post a pic

i’ve had a jdm s1 (b16) tranny that had the oem lsd. IT WAS SICK!!! i loved that transmission in my old da.

but basically if u look thru the differential and can see all the way thru of where the axles are. then u got lsd.

if it was an actual s1, there shouldn’t of been an issue of it going on. maybe u just didn’t align the splines into the clutch.

will post pick later ,not sure what u mean^^ its a lsd differental not installd dont have to use xray vision to see it lol jk its out of a ys1 trans but dont know if there is any difference in the b16 to the b17 trans caseing??

was there even an b16 ys1 trans? i’m pretty sure they didn’t make a b16 ys1. they did j1, s1, and y1 and thats it. not 100% tho. ohhhh you’re trying to use an lsd from a ys1 and trying to put it into ur current ys1 gsr tranny?

s1, j1, y1 came in 89-91 b16a equipped civic/crx and integras (it should be noted that there are also longer gear versions of some of these transmissions, just like w/ the ys1 here)

ys1 came in ALL 92-93 Integras. Including the OBD1 XSi’s in Japan which came w/ a b16a. There was an optional LSD in these transmissions. 92 b16a equipped civics in japan came with hydraulic transmissions.

[QUOTE=Colin;2038050]s1, j1, y1 came in 89-91 b16a equipped civic/crx and integras (it should be noted that there are also longer gear versions of some of these transmissions, just like w/ the ys1 here)

ys1 came in ALL 92-93 Integras. Including the OBD1 XSi’s in Japan which came w/ a b16a. There was an optional LSD in these transmissions. 92 b16a equipped civics in japan came with hydraulic transmissions.[/QUOTE]

ahh old reliable colin with the knowledge. good to know. i gotta do my best to remember that for future reference.

[QUOTE=Colin;2038050]s1, j1, y1 came in 89-91 b16a equipped civic/crx and integras (it should be noted that there are also longer gear versions of some of these transmissions, just like w/ the ys1 here)

ys1 came in ALL 92-93 Integras. Including the OBD1 XSi’s in Japan which came w/ a b16a. There was an optional LSD in these transmissions. 92 b16a equipped civics in japan came with hydraulic transmissions.[/QUOTE]

so do you think the xsi hydro trans case is differnt from the cable case? i just dont want to be told it dont fit after i allready pulled the trany and bought new bearings…heres a pic–>

pic?

There is no XSi hydro case because there was never a hydro clutch equipped XSi.

Hydro transmissions started in civics in 1992 and in Integras in 1994 (although third gen Integra was actually introduced in Japan in 1993 and that also came w/ a hydro trans).

There are two basic forms the b series transmission takes on. The 1st gen (88-91) and 2nd gen (92+). 88-91 transmissions share the same basic construction. And the 92+ transmissions share the same basic construction.

Honda made this change starting in 1992 and wanted it to be in effect in all of their cars. There was a model change for the civic so it was easy to start using hydraulically actuated clutches in those vehicles. The Integra however was setup as a cable clutch. So they made a case for the new style of transmission which allowed for a cable actuated clutch. As soon as there was a model change (DA to DC in 1994) they updated the car and started using hydraulic transmissions in the Integra.

If the lsd you have came out of a YS1 it will fit into any other YS1 just fine (you may need bearings or accompanying final drive or ring gear, I’m not too versed on the exact details here, sorry). If it came out of one of the hydro transmission then you’ll need to modify your cable case. This is fairly common practice in order to put LSD’s into YS1 cases (I have full 4.7fd ITR gearset and LSD in my YS1 and it had this mod done). Unfortunately again I cannot give you the exact details as I did not do the work myself. Transmission internals and engine internals I prefer to leave to the pros.

What Colin said is 100% correct, but like him I’m not very versed when it comes to the actual inner workings of the transmission. Only thing that you could hope for is the .J. sees this thread and he gives his expertise. I know he’s a guru when it comes to transmissions.

He’s pretty much the only person I’d trust w/ my trans :up: OK, I take that back, Dan can have at it as well :slight_smile:

J doesn’t post that much about trans details anymore because it’s usually too much trouble, almost impossible to explain that little stuff with words in a forum.

I agree with you Colin him and Dan are the only two I would trust with my JDM S1. Too bad I don’t live in the west coast as I would have had either one of them build me a nicely geared transmission now that the DA is not a daily driver any more.

thx for the input from all or you guys.I tryed to post a pick but i guess it didnt work …i dont know much on transmisions but after this thread ill be alittle more educated…i plan on having a local shop doing the install soon ill let u all know how it goes i do plan on useing oem ys1 bearings,ill try again with the pic just so u guys can have an idea of what i have .any more info would be greatly apreciated thx

—>

the fins inside the differential part of the case have to be shaves down in order for it to fit. like the others have said before me it is quite common. normally you would use a dremal or an angle grinder to shave them down. just be sure to do alot of test fitting becuase those fins are designed for cooling. and dont forget to get all the shavings out.