B16 Pistons in LS, Completely fine?

I’m rebuilding my b18a1 and i’m thinking of putting PR3 Pistons in to bump the compression… it would be completely fine in just a bolt on LS, Correct? I need absolute comfirm before I buy them. anyone chime in?

u can just buy it… but to guarantee that it’ll work is a totally different story. curious have u built a motor b4 tho? i highly suggest getting urself a manual, preferably a helms. but ur old block might not be able to run b16 pistons efficiently. u have to take into considering the piston-to-cylinder clearance. if the clearance is too much for ur old block then you’ll be getting blow-by and most likely u’ll be getting oil past the oil rings.

and to have b16 pistons in a mildly built LS is fine, but just know that u’re gonna be running much higher compression. you’ll need to run 91, and you’ll have to bump a few things up. i highly suggest getting it tuned RIGHT AFTER u get it running. but make sure that compression is good across the board and that u have good oil pressure. if not… don’t bother getting it tuned cuz it’ll prolly go soon. but if it is good, then take it to a tuner so that u greatly reduce the risk of u blowing it.

you can do it. but if i were you i’d use the itr pistons instead. itr pistons will bump your compression. also itr pistons are more combustion friendly than the ctr.

and the risk of piston to valve sex are vastly incremented with the ctr pistons.

at least that’s my experience.

I suggest you do a compression test on ur engine to see the health of it.
Then determine what needs to be done. Then take it to the machine shop to have the bottom end inspected & mesaured. To see if it needs to be overbored or if ur str8 to run stock size B16 pistons which are the same bore as the B18. You will be fine as long as ur motor is within specs.
I have 82MM B16 spec pistons in my LS/ VTEC & its fine.
But yea get it tuned that’s a must for it to run effeciently.

[QUOTE=eddcartes;2031011]you can do it. but if i were you i’d use the itr pistons instead. itr pistons will bump your compression. also itr pistons are more combustion friendly than the ctr.

and the risk of piston to valve sex are vastly incremented with the ctr pistons.

at least that’s my experience.[/QUOTE]

he said PR3 B16 pistons… not the PCT (CTR / B16B) pistons

oh you’re right… just noticed.

p30 pistons would be even better wih no-modification needed

interesting stuff

would u care to elaborate?

if your not building a crazy motor, use nippon racing pistons on ebay, $160 for all 4 pistons and all rings, wristpins etc, and you can specify which cylinder bore size and what compression ratio you’d like, from 9.2 - 12.1…i’m using stock ls ones in my turbo b18b at 10psi and running great!! just my opinion

thats an option. lots out there. but used or sometimes new oem pistons for an n/a build can be found out there for cheaper than $160.

PR3 pistons have a 6.01cc dome, where the P30 pistons have a 6.93cc dome, so basically he is saying they will bump up your compression a bit more than the PR3’s will

u totally misunderstood… i personally know that it offers higher compression than the pr3… he said…

yea u can put a pr3 or p30 piston on ls connecting rods without having to machine the piston or rod… but its not even better if the OP detonates the motor. running such high cp on 91 or whatever the premium gas is in PA… is still a risky thing to do without tuning. and lets be real… how many of the ppl on this forum or any ACTUALLY tune a home built motor? there are some but the percentage is weak.

i’ll be self tuning my own home built motor soon. and yes the nippon pistons being “good” is an opinion, but having them hold 12 psi on a t3 in my stock ls is “good” to me. and every situation is different, i could have gotten lucky and got a really good set of these pistons.

i just figured id fill him in on where i got mine, the price and availabilty of bore sizes and compression ratio’s, and how my personal experience with them is. and why buy a used set when you can go brand new, and be better than stock…

i spoke to nippon before buying my pistons and they told me the pistons are about 30% stronger cause of different metal used to make the pistons and the process casting them is different causeing less weak spots or pockets in the pistons and they are also “xrayed” to check for weaknesses or flaws, area around the wristpins were strengthened, ringland spacing was changed to strengthen them (stock piston’s ringlands are weak-blew mine apart on every cylinder), and they are heat treated to withstand turbo/nos/high heat applications. this is not opinion this is straight from nippon.

I am also in the middle of a rebuild and thinking of putting either pr3 or p30 pistons in my ls. Along with mild port and polish work. I am get it tuned with chrome tuning system. So i am intested in what else you would need for the set up. With puting those pistons in the LS i would have to run 93 because of the 11.XX to 1 ratio. With the pistons, mild head work and tune will my engine run safely for a daily driver???

[QUOTE=turboB18Ls;2039595]i’ll be self tuning my own home built motor soon. and yes the nippon pistons being “good” is an opinion, but having them hold 12 psi on a t3 in my stock ls is “good” to me. and every situation is different, i could have gotten lucky and got a really good set of these pistons.

i just figured id fill him in on where i got mine, the price and availabilty of bore sizes and compression ratio’s, and how my personal experience with them is. and why buy a used set when you can go brand new, and be better than stock…

i spoke to nippon before buying my pistons and they told me the pistons are about 30% stronger cause of different metal used to make the pistons and the process casting them is different causeing less weak spots or pockets in the pistons and they are also “xrayed” to check for weaknesses or flaws, area around the wristpins were strengthened, ringland spacing was changed to strengthen them (stock piston’s ringlands are weak-blew mine apart on every cylinder), and they are heat treated to withstand turbo/nos/high heat applications. this is not opinion this is straight from nippon.[/QUOTE]

yea great info or whatever… but maybe u missed the point of this thread. the OP is building an LS and is MORE THAN LIKELY going NA. those NIPPON pistons are cool and all… but it isn’t needed for a NA build. for turbo… or nitrous i wouldn’t go with ANYTHING other than a forged piston.

yea u should be fine. u should be able to get away with running 91 octane. just make sure u get all the necessary things for tuning and management in ur application.