90 B18a1 0bd0 into 92 car 0bd1

Hey whats up everyone im new to this forum but not new to hondas. I have a 90 DA RS which runs very well i have no problems what so ever with it but the body in not in the greatest shape. So yesterday i bought a 92 LS clean shell in which i want to drop my engine, I did some research and i know i will have to convert the engine to obd1. my question is what would be easier to convert the engine to obd1 or the car to obd0? and also how would it run better? would there be any problems since my engine is from an RS and the body is LS?

Thanks in advance:up:

converting the engine would be the best to do. although you have to do just as much work and spend about the same amount of money if you end up buying all the parts you need at high prices. i think you’ll need the following:

stock header or aftermarket header for a 92-93
obd1 injectors
obd1 engine harness
obd1 distributor
obd1 thermostat water neck (sensor location)
maybe an obd1 alternator ( unless you get creative with your obd0 engine harness)

… i can’t think off anything else. you cn avoid the obd1 injectors and alternator by reusing your obd0 harness, using a resistor box, and repinning obd1 connectors sourced off of an obd0 car or you can run an obd1 engine harness and repin connectors sourced from an obd 0 engine harness. good luck!

is there a difference from tht 90 91 and 92 93 headers? or is it just for the o2 sensor? can i just modify my obd0 harness or i have to get an obd1? and what about the ECU can i still use my old ECU?

thanks for the reply

the difference is in the 02 sensor location you can modify your obd0 engine harness to work with the obd1 car. you cannot run an obd0 ec1 in an obd1 car. you will be alot of de and repinning of wires along with the parts that you will be putting in. i’m sure a trip to the junkyard would help out alot.

convert the motor you can tune obd1 easier if you going to build the motor in the future

ok so i’ll be needing

92-93 ECU
92-93 §§§§§
obd1 thermostat water neck ← any pics of what im looking for here?
92 - 93 alternator

the engine harness and the injectors came with the car so im good there

and for the headers i got some 4-2-1 DC headers that the o2 sensor is located on the back of it almost when it conects with the catalytic converter are those 92 93? they came with my car when i bought it. anything else?

Gil, are you sure about the alternators? I haven’t compared side to side in many years but with all my swapping between 91 and 92 I never noticed a difference I can remember.

209DA9, definitely keep the car obd0. It would be difficult to convert to OBD0 and you’ll have nothing but disadvantages by doing so.

Just search through the MANY MANY threads on this topic, it’s been covered to death.

The header you mentioned is the one you want. Without comparing part numbers it’s hard to say if it’s the correct length though. Your O2 sensor will be placed correctly and it will fit the engine just fine but you may need to make some adjustments to length of your cat or exhaust depending on what car it was originally designed for.

In regard to the thermostat housing. You don’t need this, you can just extend the wires and use the ECT switch already on your block. But using the newer thermostat housing will be a nicer option for a clean install. The part you need is the part which you remove in order to change the thermostat. If you don’t know which part that is, then search or even easier, look in your Helms manual.

i remember someone showing me a 92 93 alternator and the difference between the 90-91. i am honestly not sure, though. i had written a longer winded response to his question with the disclaimer on the alt but it disappeared when i hit submit :frowning:

The only difference I remember having was one with the mounting brackets. And even then I forget if it was an actual difference in the alternator that required the use of a specific bracket or if it was a hardware issue. And even then it may have been a b18a vs b17a difference, not a year issue.

Either way, he’s got the engine and the obd1 engine harness already, if the new harness plugs into the old alternator he’s good to go. I wouldn’t go purchase an alternator until that is checked.

Oh, and he’s going to need a 92-93 rs/ls/gs driver side engine mount unless that came w/ the shell.

he does have the obd1 engine harness? oops! i must have not read things correctly. that’s a lot of little things to buy!

yeah, he mentioned that the engine harness and injectors came w/ the car. Engine harness is probably the hardest part to find so he lucked out on that. Injectors, distributor… all the rest of the stuff should be easy to find.

thanks for the replys (= i know this topic has been coverd many times before i’ve found lots of threads. i just wanted to make sure about what i would need before i start buying stuff. I’ve had my DA for a while and my brother has one too mine is a 90 and his a 91 Rs both thats why i didnt know the differences between 90 91 and 92 93 besides the exterior and that one is obd0 and the other 0bd1. about the alternator the plugs on the 92 harness look the same as the 90. and yeah i got the full engine harness with injectors but i will need the drivers side mount it only came with the rear mount ( the one by the firewall). Again thanks alot for the help