vtec vs non vtec spark plug wires

will my b18a spark plug wires work on a b16a? i checked oem part numbers and they dont match up but whats the difference?resistance?length?

ok since i apparently fail at reading . . . my apologies . . . let’s try again . . .

yes you can. i have red ls wires on my b17. in fact, on the computers at acura they are listed as interchangable. i went to get some oem wires once, and they were out. when we loooked at the computer for the part number to order them, low and behold at the bottom it said LS wires were acceptable. they were red and in stock and i was all over it. $25 bucks at the time. works like a charm.

Iceman, he’s talking about wires, not the plugs.

The wires are functionally the same but different in regard to fitment. You should buy the correct wires.

However, I do know that you can use vtec plug wires on a non-vtec engine. The ends are a bit long and they do not seal properly on the valve cover. So they will make a solid connection with the plugs but will stick up a bit high out of the valve cover. Not ideal, but a handy thing to know if you are doing troubleshooting or need something to get you back on the road.

I haven’t tried putting non-vtec wires on a vtec engine. So I’m not sure if they fit but again don’t seal properly or if they are too short and don’t even make the correct connection with the plugs.

[QUOTE=Colin;2024761]Iceman, he’s talking about wires, not the plugs.

The wires are functionally the same but different in regard to fitment. You should buy the correct wires.

However, I do know that you can use vtec plug wires on a non-vtec engine. The ends are a bit long and they do not seal properly on the valve cover. So they will make a solid connection with the plugs but will stick up a bit high out of the valve cover. Not ideal, but a handy thing to know if you are doing troubleshooting or need something to get you back on the road.

I haven’t tried putting non-vtec wires on a vtec engine. So I’m not sure if they fit but again don’t seal properly or if they are too short and don’t even make the correct connection with the plugs.[/QUOTE]

i suck at life. post edited.

So the LS wires do fit the vtec? Do they seal properly? I put my vtec wires on my non-vtec motor when I had to swap that back in and they stuck up out of the VC a bit so they were loose. But they worked fine, just wouldn’t want to wash the engine bay w/o making sure to cover those gaps to keep water out.

yea mine seem to fit. though now that i’m thinking about what you’ve said, i wonder how far down the plug they actually go, b/c in theory they shoudl be a little short. hmm. they do go down and seal properly. i wonder.

when i put them in they felt a little short. it didnt feel like they fully connected to the spark plug. pisses me off cause this wire set doenst even have 2000km’s on it. tonight at work ill order a vtec set and ill compare it to my ls ones. ill let you guys know the difference in length. if its the same ill just return it.

id like to know i was plannin on runnin my ls ones until i hoked up my msd and shit

I know it works for a fact bc I’ve been using ls wires for 4 years. No issues.

Why are you using msd out of curiousity? Stock system is more than enough for a racecar setup. Msd is a waste. Everyone ice known who’s used it has had nothing but problems with them. And none of them got any power from it.

im getting it pretty much for free

Great. Sell it and make some cash haha

Yeah, I had vtec wires on my LS for years, it works just fine. My wires were pretty new then my b17a blew up and I replaced it w/ the old LS. I had thrown out the old wires so I just used the newer vtec ones. You shouldn’t run into any issues, except just be careful about water getting down there if you wash the bay.

And I 2nd Ice’s comment… why the MSD? Stock is cheaper, looks better, probably lasts longer and is probably more reliable. And you’re not going to get more hp from aftermarket ignition.

well dude thats going to wire my shit is going to wire it in for free ill just run it and sell it if i end up needing money.

All I can say is good luck.

well its all gettin done for free since we already have it all apart and wiring in vtec/4 wire o2 and other shit. if i dont like it ill take it off

just curious, what type of problems? i’ve had mine (msd sci pn-6300, msd blaster coil 8252, pro cap and 8mm wire) since 2000. to this date i’ve had no issues. i installed mine for the extra spark it produces was not looking for power. i’m just curious that’s all. maybe i’ll go back to stock if the problems people are having is something i’ll have to be ready for.

It’s not really that there are “problems” normally associated w/ it. It’s just that it’s a waste of money. Why upgrade a stock system which works perfectly fine.

“More Spark” What does that even mean? If it’s not giving you any extra power (from YOUR statement) then why bother with “more spark”??

i have heard of intermittent ignition failure, fouled plugs, and premature ignitor failure.

im not doing it for more power im getting it for free pretty much, and wired in for free, so it wont hurt wcs i pull it and run stock. i might run it w/ it at first and not like it idk. i just know my cusins civic with a gsr swap has it

im running 400whp and using stock ignition. ill be getting the wires tomorrow to compare. they were back ordered.