vtec head code?

I have a dohc vtec head with the code PR3-4…so Im basically wondering what head it is. Ive been told the JDM B16A and or an ITR head. I was also told if there was green paint behind the distributor on the head marked from factory that it was for sure an ITR head…but I dont really see any green paint marking?? Help please!!!

I have a head with the same stamp that is actually a b17 head. Not positive that yours would be the same, but it is possible. Did you get the valve cover with it?

yes

My best guess would be a b16 head. The ITR head, as far as I know, would say Honda Motor Co. On it rather than the Honda symbol. Same with the B17 head. It could be JDM, but could also be USDM B16. My $0.02

It actually does say Honda motor co underneath the H emblem u just cant see it well in the picture. So…??

my SI b16 head has a pr3-4 stamp, i think.

my 89 jdm b16a head says pr3-3. so you could cross that off your list.

b16 and type r heads are basically the samethang so either way thats a bad ass head

the b16a and hype-r are the same cast… but not even close to the same head…

everybody i know claims they have the same flow characteristics and such

The Type R heads have bigger cams and better valve springs. In fact, I believe that the Type R has dual valve springs on both the intake and exhaust side, whereas the B16 and B17 are only dual valve springs on the intake side. The Type R also has some port work done on it by hand at the factory, so it breathes a little differently. So… It may be the same cast, but it’s not the same head.

my B17 says PR3-2 so thats off your list too, that also looks like a JDM Valve cover, USDM/CDM ones have vtec in smaller lettering, and DOHC is bigger lettering.

the size of the lettering depends on the year. obd0/obd1 has the smaller vtec and bigger dohc. obd2 is the opposite.

Judging from the style of fuel rail on the head, it looks like you have an OBDII B16A head.

The ITR heads were only ported by hand in the early 96 spec ITR models. All others were ported by machine.

It could be a JDM valve cover, but it also could be a 99-00 Civic Si valve cover.

OP:

Check the year stamp on the head.

[QUOTE=ninezeroteg;2025077]I believe that the Type R has dual valve springs on both the intake and exhaust side[/QUOTE]correct

[QUOTE=kNOwLedGe420;2025821]The ITR heads were only ported by hand in the early 96 spec ITR models. All others were ported by machine.[/QUOTE]also correct, but the b16a head was still not the same as the hype-r.

[QUOTE=kNOwLedGe420;2025821]Check the year stamp on the head.[/QUOTE]should have been one of the first things done.

unless it doesnt have one due to previous owners trying to trick the smog techs… as in, just like the b16a head i just sold…

Is that a turbo manifold buddy?:angel:

yea its a turbo mani but I wont be using it…this is actually my buddies head Im just tryin to make sure exactly what head it is and I believe its a B16 head. We’re doing a B20 block B16 head turbo!

mine is OBD1 and it has the bigger DOHC … hmm … lol

my b16 says pr3-2

yeah i fixed that