B16 Swap (questions)

:: I did use the search option but it didnt help me much::

1. Can I use my stock LS tranny in B16 swap?

2. I heard that I need to remove some kind of bar because of the headers, do I need to remove anything else?

3. What headers do you think will be the best fit for this swap?

4. I know that I will need OBD0 vtec ecu.

5)Is there anything else that I will need to finish this swap?

Thank you very much for your help.

1: Yes, but it’ll be slower then your stock B18A. You need the proper tranny

2: That would be your cross member. stock ehader clears it fine.a few other headers hit it so you ahve to notch out a piece of it, you canot simply remove it. You need it.

3: DC JDM ITR 2.5" collector. This requires notching the memebr I’m pretty sure.

4: Yes

5: Most thigns are a direct swap over. what year is your teg and what year is the motor?

Do you think B20 with stock ls tranny and stuff will be faster than B16A with stock ls tranny? Cuz I am in a point of choosing between 2 swaps.

Yes go witht eh B20 in that case. The b16 will never be fast with an LS tranny unless you are fully built or FI’d

can any one please clerify that thing with the wires on the back of B18 that is different on B20 and about the thermostat hybrid?

How much slower will the B20B will be that B18A, cuz I am thinking of B18B swap too…

you said you searched, but i don’t think you searched very well if you actually did at all. if you had, you could have answered all of those questions.

both b20 and B18B is faster then your B18A

i currently have b16 with p28 and hondata s100. running with 91 ls tranny.
i made 148 @ the wheel/106 tourqe with no intake or what ever bolt on upgrade. i never complain and love having longer gear then short gear tranny. you will hardly notice the difference.
now im making about 161 @ the wheel with just recently replace the tranny with 93 tranny case with 99 internal ls tranny.

short gear allow you to accelerate a little quicker.

niskyspy…i think you should try to drive both car. civic si coupe and vtec motor with ls tranny…then you decide.

From my experience LS tranny on a B16 is a bad match. and the chances of him finding someone with a civic Si coupe with the b16 with an LS tranny is rare sicne they are also the shorter geared trannies stock.

its not just the longer gears, but once you shift into 3rd, you’ll probably fall out of vtec.

Bingo :slight_smile: You fall out when gonig into 2nd gear. Depending what your VTEC is at.

Well I will probably go with B20 but still, when I asked if B20B will be faster than B18A Tchleung said it will be faster. But B18A had 130HP and B20B has 126HP and a little bit more torque why would it be faster?
And one more question, how can I make B20B have the same amount of HP as B20Z isnt the only difference between them compression?

my bad I just answered my question. So if I put LS mani on B20B it will make pretty much the same amount of HP as B20Z. COOL

PPL with B20 in their G2 what fuel economy do you get with normal driving?

Thank you

falling out of vtec is not a problem. vtec kicks at 5500 rpm and feel full power start at 6000 rpm. i did the test before and after tranny swap… 2nd gear goes to a little over 70 mph and 3rg goes over 110 mph…im sticking with n/a for another 6 months then go full boast…and every set up or mods done is all depends on what the owner wants out of it…

I have a B16A with an LS tranny.

Its got a GSR head (bigger cams, slightly higher CR) and I take out other LS’s without much problem. I was door to door with a stock ITR the other day for the entire race (40mph to about 80mph) before my Hondata went in. I have I/H/E/no cat/clutch and fly combo (now its tuned)

The header is the base model chikara proven to lose horsepower, BTW (It was a gift, blow me)

Its not slower than a stock B18A unless its at low RPM. After 5k I walk B18A’s and B18C1’s. Below that…im lunch. The B16 will never “feel” as fast because of the complete lack of torque.

My 1/4 time is slower than what it used to be, but the trap speed is higher.

I have a 1990 ls with a b16a and a ls tranni, i smoke b18a tegs all the time even have taken out dohc zc crxs and ls hatches. i have a pwo ecu and my vtec kicks at about 4800rpm, i have header, intake, full 2.5" exhaust with no cat, short shifter. its alot faster than my old ls and i like the powerband, vtec is definatly kicking in 2nd when i shift at 8200 rpm lol, dam redline, hop to be puting some more goodies in the engine soon like, type r cams and springs, skunk2 intake mani, 8 pound flywheel and ctr cams, i like b16a all motor, when u see a friend that has a built all motor b16 98 hatch beat a 93 tt rx7 by 5 cars uve see everything, oh ya the rx7 is modded lol. 1 more thing ls trani is good for comuting also, im at like 3,100-3500 on the freeway in 5th.

some1 help me, i need parts for my engine and i need my ecu chipped its a pw0, im building a all motor, any used or new parts for cheap will help, i have turbo things to trade-- rebuilt t3, bov, piping ect… email me hondasarebadass@yahoo.com

wow…i guess im not alone with b16 running with ls tranny… :dance: