problem with tranny or shifter problem after swap. need help

91 ls with b16 with 91 ls tranny. i just swap my tranny today. old ls for a 93 ls case with 98 ls internal. problem i came across today is the shifter is no longer at the center but lower and 2nd, 4th, and reverse now hits the lower plastic ring (what ever you call that.) i used a 93 shift linkage but had problem shifting the car into gear and also adjusting the cable so i put the old 91 linkage back. it shift couple of time with no problem and it did not want to shift couple times not even grinding into gear. need some helpfull information on someone that have done this to assist me with the situation. really lost here. :bang:
thanks.

the 93 might be a different length than the 91, not too sure. I know the exhaust is a different length and a couple of the motor mounts are different - that might change the placement of the motor.

regardless - are you saying you still have trouble with the 91 linkage? if so, are you sure it’s not bent???

a couple of things could cause it… i ran into something similar… a 91 teg with a lsvtec swap and b16 tranny… no issues… then we pulled the b16 tranny out. and put a low milage LS tranny in… had a ton of problems just as ur describing it… the kid who had bought the car had an extra shift linkage (brand new) and bolted it in… no problems after that… it ended up being the tranny is VERY low milage and the internal shifting rod and all that was very stiff… the old shift linkage bushings and the bushing on the shift linkage brace (not sure what to call it) where it bolts to the tranny were pretty warn…
with the new linkage and brace, everything was where it was supposed to be and actually shift that tight tranny.
that brace is important cuz it holds the tranny the proper distance from the shifter… when that bushing is loose even 1/4" closer can throw off your shifter and place it where its not supposed to be.

also, 90-93 Teg linkage is all the same.

problem solve…took me another 6 or so hours and finnaly found out what the problem was. i put back the 91 linkage and still had problem with shifting into gears running or not (the motor). i took the tranny out and one of the problem was also the shift fork was bad (spring came out) and the throw out bearing broke off. i replace both of them and put everything back. everything works great. the car accelerate alot slower with 99 ls internal gearing. but i love it. now time to work on boost…

thought so