Need advice for reputable engine builder in NW

I need to have a non VTEC B motor rebuilt soon, and I definitely want to go the high output NA way, well, 200+ HP (crank) on a B18. I pretty much know what it takes to get this done, but I don’t know of anybody in the NW (washington state) that has a good reputation for rebuilding B series motors. I basically need my 195K+ B18 totally rebuilt, overbored, balanced, ported, the works…and I want it done right. Does anybody know of a good shop that can handle the work in the NW?? I would prefer it be local so I can have someone to go to if there is any trouble. I will R&R the motor myself. Not too concerned about money either, getting it done right the first time is my biggest concern…TIA

Your location in WA would be most helpfull for determining a “local” shop thats suitable…:bow:

Seattle area is fine with me, as far north as Woodinville, as far south as Tacoma.

if you ever consider bringing it to portland let me know, we can do it for you… at import-ss we specialize in high comp all motor builds…especially lsvtec/b20vtec motors

www.importss.net

hey… wat do you plan on putting in your new motor? as to like pistons, rods, head and what done to it, cams ect… ect… if you dont mind me asking…
its because im planning on building a na ls motor as well and im still not sure on what im gonna do…

Well, I would really like to do a all OEM bottom end and use PR3 or P30 pistons, shot peen the connecting rods, and for the top end I want the head to be ported and polished, Crower 404 cams, springs, retainers, cam gears, Skunk2 IM, larger TB, AEM CAI, DC Sports header, VAFC2 and get the rev limit bumped up to wherever this kind of motor can rev safely (8500~9000 I think). All this backed up with upgraded clutch and flywheel, and some lightening of the car.

I need a experienced B series guy to help me out because I have a idea of what I want, but I am not totally sure it is the right way to get it. I really want a +200 HP (crank) motor that is nearly Honda reliable.

I would go with Johnny suggestion and take it to Import SS. They do good work.

just a couple things I noticed, not trying to be picky just trying to help.

if your building an N/A non vtec motor and you want 200 hp even to the crank you have a lot of work. so good luck :cross:

First off, for an all motor header, look around more than just the Dc sports header, that header won’t be that great for a lot of power.

A vafc is a vtec air flow converter, you need a SAFC, and this also will not be able to control your rev limiter that is controlled by your ecu. so look into uberdata, hondata, or AEM ems should be good, if you want serious tuning. they are quite spendy though and will only work with obd-1.

you need more than just upgraded valve train when you want to rev it up that high. so just be careful and good luck with the build.

Talk to BR on the boards, send him an e-mail he’s really good with b-series stuff helped me out many times. he can help you out a lot and point you in the direction of a good shop.

Thanks for he suggestions. For the header, it’s difficult to source a better header than DC. I know other headers make better peak HP, but the DC does well enough. It won’t make or break my project.

I know what a VAFC2 is, it has 2x as many maps as SAFC. I don’t need the VTEC function, but I can use the VTEC maps for finer tuning. I have a OBD-0 car, I really don’t want to swap it over to OBD-1, but if I have to, I will. Who will program my ECU for me?? I have no connections, and I don’t know where to go to have things tuned.

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said, I am not so sure I am on the right track…

ya true, the header shouldn’t be that bad. you can always see if you can get a manifold fabricated too.

I don’t know much about the vafc maps, but as far as uberdata hondata and all that, you’ll need obd-1, but I’m not totally sure about AEM ems. You can probably get away with 200hp with the vafc, again. I’m not totally sure, I’m still new to the whole tuning thing myself.

Br (jason) is in seattle and he can chip and ecu for you, he built a very nice gsr motor and did his own work and the motor came out very nice.

also Ben ogle can chip your ecu as well. he lives over in spokane so you’d probably ship your ecu to him but I’d reccomend both him and jason they’re good guys.

As for shops. Tommy H22g2intega has a good shop up a little past the border in BC. there’s another decent shop in kent, but I spaced the name at the moment.

e-mail ben or jason, just look for their e-mail under their profiles and hit them up. They can give you more info. if I think of anythign else I"ll let you know.

Thanks, good info!!

you should try intec racing in kent. heres a link to their website www.intecracing.com