ls/vtec or b16

hi everyone,
well my original plans were to go ls/vtec so i bought a 94 gsr head but recently i have moved to riverside from la so i now do alot of driving. i heard that ls/vtec isn’t good for long driving and that it has alot of problems like leaking. is that true? so now im contemplating on either contiuing with the ls/vtec or just going with a first gen b16 short block and just using my tranny. which is more reliable? how big is the difference in power? what can i do to get atleast in low 14’s zone

p.s. my car is daily driven w/ full interior

An LS VTEC is only as good as you build it. Any motor will leak and be unreliable if it’s put together poorly. They aren’t unreliable as long as everything is done right and you keep the revs within the limit of your block.

If you want to run low 14s on in a full weight integra I wouldn’t bother with the B16A. That’s probably going to take a pretty strong LS/VTEC actually.

how high could i rev if i keep my bottom block stock? What shop can do a good job for me at a reasonable price?

If you want to keep the bottom end bone stock, you should either forget about reliability or low 14s. Just slapping a VTEC head on a LS block will not get you enough power to get a full-weight Integra to the low 14s, and is of questionable reliability if you rev over 7k much. Cheapest way to run low 14s is a junkyard turbo setup or NOS, you never know when it might blow though. If you want reliable power you have to pay for it.

well i noe if i want to get into da 14’s imma have to do major work, but for now i just want to know what route i should take. I know that im going to spend more money to get the results i want.
which would be better a b18a bottom block or b20? and is there a difference between the b18a and b18b? if i decide to go ls/vtec and and use da gsr head what ecu should i use? and what is da difference between obd0 and obd1?

thanks for the help

this topic has been covered many times - read around!!! :search: