P30 Pistons Crower Rods?

Ok, so i’ve decided that I’m going to buy the crower rods, but now i’ve been told that the crower B17 rods come with Bushings and will not fit onto the P30 pistons. Is this true? I kinda wanna buy the crower rods with the extra 500$ i have since the machine work is not gonna be as much as i thought. I’m goin NA but i figured id buy the crowers to have the extra piece of mind, but not if it is gonna be too much trouble to have em fit. i have the stock B17 rods, but one had a spun bearing, and i figured it would be a better idea to just buy the crowers for stabillity purposes. Guess i was just wondering if this was true, or if anyone thought it would be ok to just use the stock B17 rods with 160k miles on em and have em shot peened and larger bearings? Tahnks again. Bye

stock OEM 17 rods are fine for all motor… can’t fault anyone for wanting quality rods like the crowers though, if cash is no object they are nice. any machine shop can make the crowers fit the pistons or make the pistons fit the rods

are you getting new pistons? .25mm over, new pins (machine shop will press fit the pins to the rod bushing onto the piston, they can size the bushing up to the pin within the rec specs.

edit: have the oem rods magnafluxed, if no cracks stick with oem b17 rods plenty strong enough, and i am pretty sure the rods are already shot peened at honda.

well i allready bought the P30 OS pistons. I just knew that the rods i have have 160k miles on em, and i figured they would be pretty bad. I know im not gonna boost the engine, or run nitrous, but with every mod possible, ex: CTR cams, TB, IM, etc, i wanted to make sure that these (used rods) would be ok, not to mention on had a spun bearing, and will require a larger bearing to fit. Has anyone used the B17 crowers with the P30’s what did u do to make em fit? I dont wanna spend more, and use the money to something else, but i really want this motor to last a long time. Im sick of seeing my friends crackin jokes whenever my car breaks down. Not to mention i wanna cry when i see her sittin in the driveway. So oem rods would be fine? how bout that old of rods? would it be better to buy a completely new set of rods from honda? and the machine shop even said that their shot peening does not have the same effect as the shops in houston, that measure how far the balls penetrate, and force etc. Would that be the shot peening process you are talking about? Cause the shop said it will not do that much, but will help a bit. Any suggestions?

for me i am building a turbo setup i will be using oliver rods($$$) in my exp. they are the best, measurments and weights, 4340 chromoly, sleeved(approx 325 whp), DD. if i was going NA i would use oem, like i say get them mag’d, shot peen if you like ( i think its hype), rebuild them, bushing, rebuild the big ends, use honda bearings(they have diff sizes, also have the crank looked at mag’d, runout, groun if needed, runout, balance everything, you should be fine, take your time spend your money now, like you said you want it to last.also check the bolts, i mag’d some ford 460 rods the other day 1 was cracked but there was also 3 cracked bolts (just as important ). and i know what you mean by staring at it int the driveway, that where mine is now.

Yeah, thats cool. I guess im gonna see how bad the rods are, if they are too bad, i might just get the new rods from honda for the ones that are bad? or would it be more worthwhile to just buy the complete set from honda and have em shot peened? That way al the rods will have no mmiles on em, and not 1 rod has 160k , and the others ave no miles. (know what i mean?) Anyway. I’m ust tryin to figure out whether it would be smart to use rods that allready have so many miles on em, and use the money towards the CTR cam upgrade portion of the build (later on) ANyway. thanks for the input everyone. Lates

I dont see the need for Aftermarket rods, for a basic all motor setup. Keep in mind that aftermarket rods may be even heavier than stock rods.
Unless you are making loads of NA power, the stock rods are good enough.

The only time we recommend Aftermarket rods, are:

1. going turbo setup
  2. Building a high hp NA setup with aftermarket pistons.

exospeedracing’s right…

and the other reason to go after market rods in high hp NA is to reduce rod weight… but then you’re going to spend like $650+ or so for some CRower Maxlite rods… or other light weight rod brand

this is all you need to do with your stock rods…
have a good machine shop check them.(Since you said one had spun bearing) make sure they can be resized properly… you’ll probably have to go oversize(undersize?) bearings and have your crank rod journals checked as well.
also if your having this done, you might as well have some ARP rod bolts installed and have the rods balanced… make sure they resize the rods after they install the arp rod bolts.