My b17 dyno....help

Alright guys here is my dyno graph from this past summer. Sorry for the poor pics…

Closer of the HP/Ft*Lb

Closer of the A/F

Here is my set-up…
DC Sports 4-2-1 Stainless header
Ebay test pipe
Thermal Classis Stainless cat back
AEM CAI
magnecore plug wires
NGK-R plugs
custome ground wires
90k on the clock

Now to me this is cool, but other have said its low for the motor. I know my a/f is all out of wack and im not sure why. I figured i shouldnt stop making hp at 7500, i would think it would continue right up to redline. Any advise?

I could be wrong, but it looks like your AF ratio seems to be running lean towards the higher RPM’s. Also, stop revving past 7500, because your power is falling off. What HP goals are you aiming for?

Looks to me like you are running it too rich. The lwoer the number, the richer. not the otehr way around :slight_smile: For boost applications we generally use 11-12.5 cause they generally need more fuel sicne more air, you on the other hand are NA and most of the tiems they are tuned in the 12-13’s.

yea but its shitty if i shift at 7500 i fall out of the rpms to make power because i fall below the vtec engagement…But yea i dunno why my motor is dumpin so much fuel :sad:

What is your base ignition timing set at?

Are you still using the stock p61 ecu? just wondering cause your fuel curve was alot richer than mine…also what are your plans for adjusting it a/f ratio, vafc, fpr, hondata…etc

I’m sure by flattening it out and leaning it out, you should be able to gain some hp.

all timing is stock, and ecu is bone stock. I was thinking about picking up a vafc2 or emanage, not sure just yet. Im just conused really whats makin it run so rich.

Also i never got a chance to do a leak down test before putting her away, but she runs fine, just not making the numbers i was hopin’ for which makes me nervouse

replace your O2 Sensor and see what happens w/ your A/F.

yea that wouldnt be a bad idea

u are running real rich. its low for that motor my ls is makeing that power with more tq. but u need a vafc an tune it and get more power out of it. u are loseing a lot of power beng that rich. whats your cp ratio on the motor

I dunno yet on the compression. Im gonna do a leak down and compression test, but this dyno is the only reason that im worried about doin those now. The car runs fine and gets decent mileage considering what it is. I figure if my compression is all screwed, the car would act it. :frowning:

Have same engine, same issues

We have a 92 GSR with B17. We haven’t dyno’d it yet, but it also runs rich (judging by tailpipe). 1/4 mile times were not that great either. We’ve replaced O2 sensor with no improvement. Considering new injectors and adjustable fuel pressure regulator to try and resolve.

Yea my trap speed at the strip was kinda good, but times were not. So im assuming I just cant launch the car

holey crap. youre hitting like 11.0:1. Thats soooooooooooo rich. My car was slow at 12.0:1. Usually the optimum for NA is 13.2-13.7.

Getting a new o2 will do nothing. There is no fuel correction using the o2 sensor above 80% throttle.

Tune your ecu and it will be waaay faster.

Ben

Yea thats what im hopin. Im gonna send it out to a local honda tuner, and have him chip the ecu with a basemap from a b18c. Then in the spring go for a dyno tune and tweak the basemap. Im hopin for good numbers once she is leaned out. Im really excited now to see how it all turns out :giggle:

what’s your idle fuel pressure at with vacuum line off?

dunno till i get a gauge on there, hopefully in a week or so I can read the fuel pressure. Only thing is I need to put the new tank in before any diagnostics can occur,

ive got less done to my 92, and with a pretty torched distributor rotor it made 147hp and 106tq on this new motor(at time of dyno had bout 5-6k on it.
cai, hayame muffler, jdm 4-1 header and at the time i had 9mm plug wires.

first off, i’m gonna say Bens right so i wont repeat what he said…

but i’m gonna say this… every motor is different… those numbers are decent…
i’ve seen several b16’s… one even with ITR cams only put down 135whp… forgot the tq.

next DONT use the b18c fuel maps… it’ll just run richer…

best advice i can give is use a JDM P30 rom for your baseline and start tuning from there… if you need one, contact me, and i can send you the rom.

you could actually get away with using a VAFC as you’re running rich… its easy to take fuel out with the vafc… if u were running lean, you’d have to up the fuel pressure. and then use vafc to lean it out to proper a/f ratio… vafc doesnt add fuel well on top end.

interesting. I didnt know that. Yea as for the chipping, im not sure what im doin. The guy seemed pretty confident that he could tune my ecu to make the car run a lot better. :think: