Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ls/vtec ECU question, really confused...

Collapse
X

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I want to get a 2000 itr head on my 91 integra block. The head would be brand new with factory warrranty. I thought my ECU was obd-1, is this wrong, I heard it might be obd-o??? Next question, will an ecu from a 97 itr work with the 2000 itr head? Then, this is where I'm really stuck, I read that the ECU for the itr is p37 or p30? I found someone who says they have obd-1 p37s and p30s, will these work at all? I don't want to change the entire wiring harness, what should I do??? Thanx for the help.

All I know is that you have an obd-0

Comment

your cars wiring is obd0

i would find a p28 and chip it

Comment

I found a couple obd0 to obd1 conversions online, has anyone had experience with these?

Comment

before somebody tells you to hit the search button. this is just off the top of my head and will add more if i forgot any thing. for starters
          with the harness you would need to wire the 4 wire o2 and get a obd1 distributor for a 92-93 gsr ,94-95 gsr, if you find obd2 96-01gsr or 99-01 civic si distributors. they have to get re-pinned.
          i think evasive motors sports has the obd0 to obd1 harness for $60
          the p28 and p30 is best to use since they dont require a knock sensor
          let me know if you cant find somebody to chip the ecu for you.
          i re-chip ecu's if youre willing to ship.
          i have a few programs for your set up. lmk if you have any more questions

www.EFI101.com
          ems & dyno tuning service available

Comment

Awsome, thank you. I will check into it and let you know if I need more help and the ecu thing in the future. Also, will the p28/p30 work well if I get a '94 or '97 head too?
            Last edited by ColdMNTeg; 24 Dec 2004, 01:10:52.

Comment

you could always, just run obd-0 b16 components if you want, get a pr3. or PW0 ecu, obd-0 PR3 distributor, use your obd-0 ls injectors, extend the map sensor plug to reach the itr map sensor. and use your stock wire harness.

Comment

Wait, so running a b16 ecu will work if you have an itr head? Or did I read that wrong? If so, what's the best combo of ecu year and head year, or doesn't it matter?

Comment

ya, you can run a b16 ecu with the itr head, I"m running one for right now. but I might consider running obd-1 because it'd be easier for tuning, unless you just run a vafc or something.

Comment

Sorry, I'm a little dumb when it comes to technical, engine stuff. Vafc?

Comment

Why are you getting one new from the factory. It will not be factory ported and polished (which is why everyone likes the ITR head). If I were you, you can use that 1200-1500 for the bare head (not including valves, guides, spring retainers, cams, valve cover, gaskets, seals, or anything else) to buy a complete B16A3 USDM for $600. port and polish the head w/ a three angle for $750. Sell bottom end minus pistons for about $150. Buy OE gaskets, and t-belt and GS_R head bolts for $600. ARP rod bolts and OE berrings for $300, OE ITR oil pump for $150. Micro pilish the crank, and hone/bore .25 over for $200. .25 overbore honda Rings for the B16 pistonsfor $140. You can turn around and get a ITR IM w/ TB and EM for $500, and some fidella valves for $250. If you still have a few bucks left get some CTR cams (or CTR i, and ITR e)w/ valve springs for about $800. So you will have a much more potient motor for about the same it would cost for your route. Use a OBD-1 vtec ECU and a Conversion harness from www.locashracing.com . Then use a Fields a/f Vtec controler and tune it on the wideband. All this should grab you about 180whp.

As for the tranny. A facoty J1 with a LSD (grinds) $300 and some carbon cone syncs for $125. A shaved flywheel to 13lbs for $100 and a Exedy organic clutch for $325. Now, I have to get the money. This is my plan if I LS vtec my ride

Comment

Apex-i VAFC, Vtec Air flow converter. it's something that hooks up to your ecu that you can use to tune air/fuel maps and vtec. for around $250

What I paid for my setup

700 for somewhat bare itr head,
                        250 for itr cams and gears
                        100 for itr flywheel
                        250 for brand new exedy clutch kit
                        400 for tranny, J1
                        700 for gsr block with itr pistons
                        800 to rebuild block, with new .25 overbore itr pistons and rings, bored, hot tanked, balanced. all that good stuff.
                        200 PR3 ecu with cheap mugen chip (my advice is get a stock PR3 or PW0)
                        100 for b16 obd-0 distributor
                        200 for skunk 2 manifold
                        200 for 70 mm bbk throttle body.

Just look around for what you want, you may find some killer deals. somethings you'll just want new. you could find a bare b16 head for 100 bucks if you looked around. and then get it port and polished, with new valve train and cams and you'll be set. good luck

Comment

Is $580 a good price for a bare, new itr head?

Comment

Originally posted by ColdMNTeg
                            Awsome, thank you. I will check into it and let you know if I need more help and the ecu thing in the future. Also, will the p28/p30 work well if I get a '94 or '97 head too?
                            yes it will work. 580 is alot from what im used to getting bare heads for. but if you dont have a choice. well.....

www.EFI101.com

Comment

Another option would to just get your pr4 rechipped and run a vafc or fields controller for vtec so you have to rewire any thing.
                              the obd0 pyr program works really well

www.EFI101.com

Comment

Wait, so I can use my ecu now and just get it re-chipped? How exactly would the vafc thing hookup and work? How much would I have to rewire, or get rewired? And, will everything else just work fine then, would I still need a different distributor? This is sounding more do-able for me everytime you respond, thanks. What exactly is the pyr program? Sorry for all the questions, I just like to have most of the bases covered.

Comment

yeah i basically ran that set up before there was an option to go obd1.
                                  the pyr program will have the higher rev limit, fuel and ignition maps for your setup.
                                  the vafc or fields controller will control the the vtec and fuel settings for performance. its quite a bit to re wire but its alot better than converting.
                                  check out ebay or something and have a shop that is familiar with them install it for you. you can cut off the front leg of your current distributor to fit on the vtec head.

i have the pyr program if you need a re-chip
                                  and i have the diagram for vafc to work with obd0
                                  if you ever need it.

www.EFI101.com

Comment

I read that if you cut the leg off, only one hole lines up, is that true? Is that bad? Thanx for the quick response, nice to see other night owls out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdMNTeg
                                      I read that if you cut the leg off, only one hole lines up, is that true? Is that bad? Thanx for the quick response, nice to see other night owls out there.
                                      I am not sure, I have only done 1 headswap and that was on a OBD-1 car. I have heard that one bolt with hold that mutha Fucker on for over 100k and counting.

Comment

If I get a 94 gsr head, I can use my ecu (rechipped), vafc, and b16 dist. The head I might get, a full head+intake man, doesn't have sensors though. Can I use my existing sensors and other existing parts? If not what sensors and everything would I have to buy?

Comment

I say convert to OBD1 and find a p28/p30/p72 ECU to chip and run.

OBD0 Vtec (with an external VTEC controller) works...but it is certainly not optimal, especially with a N/A motor.

There is no 'stock' program for an LS-Vtec so this would definitely have to be tuned in once all is said an done. Whether you go Uberdata or Hondata is really how DIY you want to be and what kind of budget you have.

Much of what you are proposing could be made much simpler by buying a complete GSR swap (if you have the funds). Understand that its either learning or paying someone else to do it for you...what you are attempting isnt even simple for many of the members that have been at this a long time.

As for sensors, you can use all of your main sensors & components (TPS, MAP, IAT, Water Temp, VSS, injectors) for any OBD version.

if you go OBD1, you will need to source a 4-wire O2 sensor, a distributor and ECU. And of course, tuning.

if you go OBD0 Vtec, you will need (2) O2 sensors, a PR3 or PW0 ECU and a vtec distributor, and still need tuning

not to mention, the cable tranny that is on your LS block had long gears (yuck)...good for highway, not good for laying down the rubber at the strip

Comment

Working...
                                          X