is the b16A a good motor?

i found a b16a on ebay for 1600 with a tranny. is this a good motor, im sure a lot of u have this engine and i wanted to know if it was a good running hard pulling motor. it says it has 160 hp and 111 ft lbs of torque. just wondering if this type of motor is worth buying…

what year/OBD is it? If it is a first gen B16, they are cheaper at hmotorsonline.

your definition of a good pulling motor might not be the same as somebody else’s

but to vaguely answer your question, i would say it pulls harder than the b18a.
mainly due to the shorter gearing and the 20hp more.

First off, ebay…be careful…it prolly has 240,000 miles and im sure he told you 30, or somewhere around those lines, second, b16a…vs G3 LS, does not the LS have more torque?

i’d personally take an ls motor over a b16a any day of the week.

hey for $100 more you could have a b18c1 http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=category&keyword=JDM%20USDM%20Engines&hit=20

I assumed he was talking about a whole change-over, since the first-gen B16a longblocck is $599, compared to the $1799 for the C1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ok buddy.
Integra91:Look for an OBD1 B16A. Let’s see ljoe, his 130hp B18A1 or an OBD1 B16A’s 170…hmmmm tough choice…40hp…VTEC…maybe even LSD. You take your LS motor.

Since when was it ok to talk shit cause someone prefers one thing to another?
If ljoe wants an LS motor he might have a reason for it, don’t talk shit because you don’t share the same choice. Last time I checked these forums were created to help people with options and decisions, not talk shit. Another reason is so people who love their G2’s (regardless of what trim the car is) (or what motor is inside) can share the same feelings with other G2 members. but… that musst be my opinion, if no one else feels the same, I guess i’m on this site for the wrong reason. but i just don’t like when people quote someone and talk shit, especially when its not even a claim, or a theory. Its a fuckin opinion so chill the fuck out.
p.s. sorry if i sound firedup, I just think thats stupid, and ljoe has helped me out with suggestions, and i for one am thankfull that people like him are here on this forum. It’d be sad to lose the people who know the most because some guy who wants everyone to see things his way feels like shit talking. :down:
And might i add… hey knowledge doesn’t your profile say “LS” under what kind of trim you have? Why are you talking shit?

nice. it’s funny that someone will talk shit, but then in the same paragraph show how unknowledgable they actually are. at the motor an ls is rated (depending on the year) 130-140hp. with both of the ls motors i’ve owned, with basic boltons they’ve made 130hp/120tq and 127/119tq respectively. those are relatively high torque numbers, higher than a b16a with ctr cams and pistons, fuel system (rail, fpr) and i/h/e. sure, that motor made 161 whp, but it only did 116 lbs/ft torque. if you put a stock b16 into a g2 with some dumbass kid who thinks a b16 is the sweetest motor on earth vs a stock g2 with someone who can drive, the one with the ls motor will take him every time. there are many people who would take an ls motor over a b16, ask around on this board, i’m not the only one. the only car that a b16 belongs in imo is a hatch because they don’t have the torque to pull a heavy car like an ls or a gsr motor has. i currently have my motor built relatively light compared to my future plans, and it will walk a b16a hatch with i/h/e all day long. you know that motor i refferend to earlier with the ctr stuff? took that too, although not by much, but the only reason for that being he could rev 1800 rpms higher than me. and right now if you’re thinking my car has uber power to be able to do that, wrong. 148hp/121tq, of course at the wheels. so you can go ahead and choose your b16 because it has “40 more hp and maybe lsd” because guess what, i have an lsd too, but i actually have the torque to use it. now go back to ebay where you belong.

:giggle: :mad: :clap: :owned:

I second that motion.

My view is this. The B16 is a great engine. So is the B18A. There’s a reason Honda made both of them for many years. If your car has a working, decent condition LS motor I believe it’s a waste of money to swap in a B16 though. The difference is simply not worth the time and money. Now if you have a blown motor it’s a different story. Then you might want to look at the B16 if you don’t mind a low torque motor. You WILL have to beat on it to get it to pull, it doesn’t have the torque at 3k rpm like an LS motor. But it’s a good engine.

The only motor I would swap an LS out for is a B18C or C5. It’s the only one with clear superiority. Well only B-series anyway.

what is the deal with a little less torque of the b16, i mean geez its like 6 or 7 lbs compared to the 90-91 isn’t it? I dunno what the big deal is about the b16 being so “low torque”. All honda are low torque, if you want torque get a v8.

6-7 lbs can make a difference, that’s why. and we’re comparing numbers between b-series engines, not hondas to v8’s.

Who are we kidding, they are both slow motors when stock haha.

I like the high reving capabilites of a VTEC engine without having to properly build the engien to rev high “safely” all day long like you would an LS. I prefer the powerband of a VTEC engine myself, torque difference really means nothing to me as every motor I get I build it into a turbo motor now but tat is besides the point. when I had a stock b18A, thens wappd to a stock B16A, I was considerably faster with the b16A. the B18A was running top notch shape too. But again, It was not clearly any faster/stronger until I would hit 3rd gear in the b16, Then it would walk.

Do you want an engine or do you want power?
If you just want to say you have vtec then be my guess get the b16 but I’m not a big fan of them. If you want power then use that 1700 more wisely. Buy yourself a good turbo get a manifold and and an intercooler. Go to a mufler chop and get them to custom make the pipes for you. All together you will probably have spent roughtly 600 to 700 bucks. Use the rest to get you a fuel management system some forged pistons and rods. And get your car tuned properly. Then you will be proud to have spent that money. Just my to cents. By the way you would get better results doing this on a b18 since you have a bigger displacement. Vroom psssss.

hp doesn’t always make a difference, plus that and a b16a has to rev a bit higher in order to get all the power out, by the time you rev that high the torque on a ls will have probably kicked, and not ALL b16a’s come with a tranny, and not ALL have lsd. Yes b16a has 170 hp, but does all that power make it to the crank? no. I’ve seen a low mileage b16a make only 150 hp, and others go from 150-160 or so. Yes the b16a is a great high revving motor, great gearing but is lacking in the torque department, but is a great motor once it reaches the higher rpms.

I have a 91 integra with 90 B16A in it. I had the stock motor in it for while. i traded my motor tranny and ecu for the b16 motor tranny and ecu. Going from ls to b16 was so much better IMO. on 1/8 mile the b16 was .300 faster and both motors only had intake. Yea i do admit its not as much torque but it is nice having vtec and higher reving. But on other hand i would not buy a b16. I only did it because it was trade no money involved. In two weeks im putting my turbo kit on it and we will see how that does,

first of all…we don’t even know what this guy is going to being doing with his car…how he wants to set it up…whether it be dragging…x-crossing or daily driven…so before yall get fired up n debate on whether the b16 or b18 is better…integra91 has to let us know what does he want…the debate on both motors can go on for ever…so let’s not have a war on that…
both motor has their ups n downs…im not going to say…n if you want to learn more bout it…u can search n read up…
for your own sake integra91…“worth it” is really up to you…n to many other it may mean differently…so before this debate goes on any longer…
what are you goals?..you list what you like n im sure many members here have the knowledge to help you out on what motor would suit your needs…