need experienced Hondata tuner in South Florida.

hey guyz… and girls… hope everyone is doing iight… happy holidays to youz. Very Happy

Well… I just got my car [engine] back together which took about 3 months.
She runs kinda nice now… short of some tuning. I had the motor tore down because of a ticking noise which no one could diagnose. I ended up replacing the LMA’s [200+$$ type r’s] not including the labor cost. I had the valves adjusted several times. Then I was told it could be a broken valve spring, so I had the head removed and sent to the machine shop… who checked the springs to find nothing wrong @ all [$$ labor again]. I was told that it could be a bad injector [ticking noise], so I replaced the injectors [200 bucks] to find that the ticking noise is still present. Depressed, I took a break for 2 weeks then started on the quest to find what might be responsible for this mystery ticking noise. After researching… and asking every Honda head I can get in touch with… I was told that it was a spun bearing. I then turned my attention to the bottom end. I was hoping that this was NOT the case… I couldn’t stand the though of my B17 crank being damage. Anyway… I enlisted a local speed shop… [jdm speed junkies] to take the motor out and apart to examine the block. The mechanic [sham] took the oil pan off only to find a little retainer that was suppose to be holding the wrist pin of the piston, in the oil pan. The # 3 cylinder wall was scored. Apparently it was stuck between the piston and the cylinder wall. SO… I had to bore the block to 82mm… buy new pistons and all the other ish that was needed to re-assemble the engine, bearings, rings , head gasket and so on. I had the head [combustion chamber] match to the new bore size… and some material removed from around the valves as well. This was told to be a very discreet modd… shrug… . Rods were shot peened previously… and the new wiseco pistons are of the 11.4:1 nature. The block was then sent to Race Craft Engineering in West Palm to be balanced to 15000 rpms. A new 7lbs fly wheel with a new clutch disc was sent as well. A new AEBS manifold mated to a rebored stock TB and was port matched along with the DC sports exhaust extractor. A hondata IM gasket was also installed. With everything back together… and engine in the car… all that was needed was a engine management system. I opt for the Hondata s100. I’m currently running on a crappy program, vtec engagement is set @ 5000 rpms… which is way too low for the Skunk2 Stage 2 cams. Cam gears are set to 0,0. Fuel pressure is set to 40 psi on vacuum. Timing is set to factory specs. The car bogs @ the vtec engagement point for a few hundred rpms… then pulls strong to around 8000 rpms… and it seems that the rev limit on this program is higher than 8k. I need a good tuner that is experienced with the hondata system here in south florida. I’m hoping after all this time, money, frustration, that I’m rewarded with a golden 200 [reliable] whp, which seems to be quite an accomplishment for these b series motors. I would like to rev the motor to 9-9.5k and was told that this should not be prob with my current setup. The cams make power up to the 9k mark as per Skunk2. Well… there you have it folks… any suggestions? comments? Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

93 GS-R [DB2]

additional info.

Head:
Original B17A1.
Ported and Polished, exhaust and intake [flow tested 8% better than a type r’s].
Ferrea valves, valve guides and other trimmings.
Skunk2 valve springs [sk2’s recommendation for the sk2 s2 cams].
Skunk2 retainers.
Skunk2 cam gears.
Skunk2 s2 cams.
ARP head bolts.
AEBS Intake manifold [ported, port matched and flow tested, 100% x 4 runners]note: manifold had flow issues with one of the runner and was corrected to obtain the 100% flow.
Original TB bored 84mm.
Vortec Fuel rail , FPR and FPG.
290cc Injectors.
MSD 8mm wires.
MSD 6AL
DC Sport DAC short stack.
DC Sport 4-2-1 SS header wraped.
DC Sport SS Cat back.
CAT removed and replaced with presilencer.
Block:
Original B17A1.
Bored to 82mm.
Wiseco 11.4:1 + rings.
Shotpeened original b17 rods.
ARP rod bolts.
New water pump. OEM.
New oil pump. OEM.
7lbs flywheel.
Street/Strip clutch/pressure plate.
Entire assembly balanced by RACECRAFT ENGINEERING.
Original YS1 gearbox. [3rd gear grinds above 5000 rpms].
Hondata S100 [untuned]
The motor was assembled by JDM Speed Junkies, located in Margate, Florida.
tidbit: the motor is the original motor. All #'s matching.
The head,block and the gear box are the originals.

bump…
anyone knows a good hondata tuner in south florida?

I too have a similar setup, kinda. (92 gsr, motor stolen, replaced with built ls vtec) My setup is actually pretty close to as built as yours, but I am only running a rechipped stock ecu with a vafc2, only tuned with a stock o2 sensor and air fuel gauge, so I am hurting for tuning as well (even though it already hauls ass pretty good) My cams are also at 0,0 (toda spec b’s) . Anyways, before i get into a ranting spree like you, I am planning an upgrade to hondata, but I am completely uneducated on it. I will be following this thread to see…

and I upped your thread for ya!!!

Thankz for the upz… I was told that South Florida Performance and Titan Motorsports are the guys to see regarding the hondata tuning. SFP charges $150.00 per hour. I’m not sure about Titan Motorsports. By no means am I an expert in any of this but from what I’ve researched and read about the Hondata systems… it seems that short of a complete aftermarket engine management system… this is the way to go $$ wise. You can search this forum and honda-tech’s, which should result in plenty of reading to get you started.
And yes… I tend to ramble a lot… old people tend to do that.
Happy Holliday to you and yourz.

thanks for the info, and happy holidays right back at ya!

whats up dred?.. thats where u’ve been … well glad to see the problem is cured and it looks like u should be on target for the 200, if not very close … i have a buddy who is great on uberdata tuning and has tinkered with the Hondata …seeing thats its an N/A application, tuning cannot be as catastophic as a Boosted application … i’ll contact him to find out if he’ll work with u … if u want … let me know …
Hayden

Hayden…

whats up dred?.. thats where u’ve been

Wha yua sey star! Yes bro… I’ve been down for a while. I still need tuning, but I’m currently running of a CTR ECU.[factory] and the car drives a little better now. I’ve been driving her back and forth to work for the past 2 weeks. How are you doing man? How is the car? I read somewhere… that you go it repainted. Anything elses done? Where do you guys hang out @ nowadays? I haven’t went to tower shops in months. Hit me up when you get a chance , let me know whatz good.

Go too hondatech of south florida. Its off of broward and 441. Great shop, the owner worked for Rick Case and was there top technician.

I tune Hondata in the Tampa area as well build harnesses, chip ecus, etc. I am not sure if you are willing to make your trek to Tampa or not, but let me know if you are interested. My contact information is on my website.

www.JKobdconversionharness.com

Jason