HP Figures for LS/VTEC??

Ok, now I know that this is gonna be variable from setup to setup, and also differ considering which head is chosen to use…but I was looking into getting a B18C R (JDM) motor for my car which is 210 HP. It is also $4200. So I started thinking about LS/VTEC setups, and was wondering the potential HP. that I could achieve using stock components (stock cams,pistons ect.).
Also I have read in these forums quite often that these setups are not vary reliable.

Some insight on this engine hybrid, and realistic HP. numbers (prob. B16 head) would be greatly appreciated so I can make my choice between B18C R or LS/VTEC. Thanx

http://g2ic.com/tegtips/engine/6.html

just a lil something for ya :slight_smile:

So it seems that your 140 hp 121 lbs will become a 190hp around same torque by putting around 1.5K$ in it. Thats a pretty nice idea, i think ill be in it next summer!!
Maybe bumpin CR to 10.5:1 with a little bore will be even better :read:

Hey by the way i know that the head is what is restricting the REV limit.
But what about piston, rods and crank, can a bottom of a normal b18a (LS) rev to 8500 with no modification ?
and no, im not that newb! i made research.

revving a bone-stock LS block and internals to 8500 regularly is what gives LS/VTEC a poor reputation for reliability.

what about some ARP rod bolts to hold it tight, would it be a step in the right direction ?
i know LS stock crank R/S ration is bad to rev high but it can hold it if these is no abuse of the 8000 zone…

The Problem With THe Ls/vtec is the vtec heads usually go on shorter stroking engines. The b18 has a longer stroke putting more pressure on the coneccting rods when firing. I have heard putting performance conn rods in is a must when doing a ls/vtec conversion

You can get away with shot peening the rods. LS rods can handle a ton of power - its not that. It’s the angle the rods are pushing against the sleeves that’s bad.

It’s also the stock bearings. They aren’t meant to rev that high.

So solve the problem w/ Type R bearings, shot peened rods, and balance the rotating assembly.

it seems that it will be cheaper to get a gsr bottom end ! :roll:

No need to shotpeen LS rods. It won’t hurt, but it’s not necessary.

ARP rod bolts, balance the entire rotating assembly.

i was wondering…
if you build a solid ls#vtec bottom
crank with appropriate R\S, rod, piston

it will be able to handle an incredible amount of boost right ?