exedy stage 1 + flywheel combo

I plan on buying that clutch + flywheel combo and I was wondering if it would be THAT hard to drive. I shift very fast so I don’t think the rpm fast dropping will be a problem.

What I want to know is, I don’t know that brand of flywheel, they don’t say if its made out of steel or aluminium either :frowning:

Also I want to improve my ¼mile and I’m not sure if it would be better with a 12lb or just a resurfaced one.

Actually, my question would be more like what is the brand of the flywheel on the link I posted. Is it a good brand?

its their own brand and its aluminum http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/pro_street_racing_flywheel/. ProStreet seems to sell alot of stuff under their own name but is actually suppposed to be vendors that are well known in the industry, ie. their timing belt kits are supposed to be the same vendors that honda and acura uses.

This resurfacing process can cost anywhere from 80-100 dollars when properly done.

:rofl:

I paid $18 to have mine resurfaced…

I just got a Exedy Stage 1 and a Spoon Flywheel installed yesterday, and so for i love the Spoon flywheel. it seems very balanced for the B18A1, with no torgue lose on moving to a 9lb flywheel.

25 for me, i got a 5 dollar discount since i took the pins out myself though :up:

Since when does exedy make “stages” of clutches. They make 3 different clutches for our cars:
-OEM replacement
-Organic Racing (full face)
-Cerametallic Racing (3 puck)

I guess its stupid, but it irritates me… .especially when a website/seller uses those terms :mad:

But on a side note… Exedy makes very good parts. Their oem replacement is a very nice oem replacement choice. Their organic racing clutch is a great performance street clutch. And can be used for racing, although it wouldn’t be the best “drag” clutch.

I personally have the exedy organic, and I love it. Firmer than stock pedal pressure, grips/holds really well… and personally I don’t find it hard to drive. However some may think its harder to drive than the stock unit. Thats very subjective.

As for their flywheel. Its a nice piece. Not the best out there, but nice. And how streetable its going to be, again, is subjective. I’m using a 13lb flywheel and I hardly felt a difference from stock. I’ve driven cars w/ 8-9lb flywheels and imo they were not hard to drive. I could definitely daily drive a car w/ that flywheel. Although if I was doing primarily stop/go traffic type driving it would be a nuissance.

actually colin, exedy has joined the bandwagon as far as assigning stages to there clutches. stage 1-5. their newer ads in magazines and their brochures list them all as stages now.

and i’m with you exedy organic (stage 1 :giggle: ) is what i drive and love it, its mated to an itr flywheel (15lbs.) which is good enough for street and some spirited driving.

exedy all the way!!!

1-5? Wow, thats new, they must have expanded the line… I did a search really quick and it does seem that they have a handful more clutches. So they make an oem replacement and then 5 other clutches (performance ones). And the website I saw still doesn’t list them as “stages” :wink:

I guess things are a changin’…

No doubt about exedy organic clutch being good but I’m still afraid a bit about that 8lb flywheel. I hope it wont be too annoying to drive in the city. I guess I’ll just go and try it. Its a good price.

If I resurface my stock flywheel, how much lb can they remove safely?

Resurfacing isn’t really to lighten the flywheel, you just shave a minimal amount off the surface. How much is safe to lighten a flywheel is questionable, you certainly see people doing it, and I’m sure some machinists know exactly where to remove excess material, but overall I would still rather have a flywheel that weighs what it was designed to weigh.

Well, I don’t really look at it as it “being designed to weigh” a certain amount. I 've compared b16a/b17a flywheels to stock b18a flywheels (and I posted a thread about it). They are identical except for the b16a/b17a ones have material take off to make them a little lighter. Same goes for the itr flywheel… same flywheel, but less material on the back of it. Its definitely safe to lighten a stock flywheel (but only so far). I’ve seen some places that take stock b18a flywheels down to 11lbs. Which seems a bit much for me, although I’ve never heard of a specific story of one failing. I’ve been running a 13lb lightened stock b17a flywheel for over 2yrs now. Its holding up just fine, and I’ve driven the car very hard and even took it to the track (although I haven’t done any drag racing, and don’t plan to). G2Guru also previously ran a 13lb lightened stock flwheel for some time. He was running more hp/tq than I am and he also had no problems w/ the flywheel.

If I resurface my flywheel I plan on removing no more than 3-4 lb anyway. is it expensive to remove weight?

Resurfacing and lightening are completely different. When you resurface a flywheel you but a nice new surface on the front of the flywheel, the area that comes in contact w/ the clutch disk. When you lighten a flywheel you are removing material from the backside of the flywheel.

If you want to lighten your flywheel you need to lighten, resurface, and balance the flywheel. Different shops charge different amounts, I suggest you call around. Prices for this type of job seem to range wildly, so I wouldn’t count on anyone here to give you the correct cost. The only local shop that I found that could lighten mine wanted $160 to lighten/resurface/balance…but I’ve seen others on this site say that their local machine shop was a lot cheaper, and I’ve seen prices inbetween…so it really depends on your local machine shops.

Thx!