My Tranny Situation-INPUT NEEDED

(Yes I posted this on ht too, 4 eyes are better then 2; plus its the home of my ride)

Ok so Ive been building this b16(Hoping for 400whp turbo, street tuned probably 300whp) FOREVER and the tranny is the… well one of the last things left to do.

Keep in mind budget doesnt matter. I want reliability and performance. I guess money is kinda important I dont just want to throw it away for no reason.

1- My orginal plan was to use my JDM y1 w/LSD and rebuild this tranny. Everyone says that they make gear kits and syncro kits for these tyranny’s but I have yet to find any (that I actually trust, not just because the shop found a USDM oem part that works). Upon rebuilding it I wanted to toss the oem LSD and throw in a Quaife unit and add my LS 5th gear since I had one laying around.

So option #1: use current JDM y1+rebuild(EVERYPEICE)+quaife

2- Now after getting a business license, and being concerned about reliability; I thought about just forking out the cash for a 92-93 ys1 BRAND new from Honda… ERR Acura :P(the GSR one boys not the LS) and then just adding the Quaife unit to that.

So option #2: Brand new from factory ys1 gsr tranny+Quaife

3- Since I have a YS1 tranny already(LS) I could just order all the guts for a YS1 (Gsr) and rebuild that tranny with GSR guts. No need to buy the whole tranny when I dont need the $400 stock differential. This would cost me the most labor/IOU’s for friends help or shops.

So option #3: Brand ys1(gsr) guts in YS1(LS)Casing+Quaife

I dont want to half ass this. It would be nice to know that EVERY peice is brand new and ready to be ran hard on. I feel option #2is best but I have NO IDEA what the price difference is.

Keep in mind I could probably EASYLY sell the jdm tranny for $500 still and Im sure if I took the stock BRAND new ys1 differential out of the NEW tranny, someone on here or g2ic.com would jump on that quick.

So many thoughts/words/ideas I could go on forever. What do you guys think?

I’m going to take a random guess that if you could buy the short-geared YS1 brand new still, it would probably be cheaper than just buying the guts, even without the diff.

your post was too long and i didnt read it…

Go number 2, for a few reasons, one i think it will be cheaper, and two that you know that everything is new, (including the tranny case which can crack…like mine), you know everything is put together correctly, and if it doesnt work at least you may have somone to blame, if you bought parts, no one will care if it doenst work when you get it all put together.

Plus it saves lots of time :smiley:

O yeah and one last thing, I want a ride when its done :dance:

how much for ur short geared y1? greyhound it baby.

Kraze:No idea how much I want to sell it for, remember its jDM and its a big bling factor :P. The only thing wrong is it needs 2nd-3rd syncros if you DONT use syncromesh w/FM. Im thinking like ~$400 shipped.

pirate:Im thinking this is the right idea since i can afford it. And i figured it would be cheaper if i bought it whole the first time.

[i]Junkie why waste a post?[/i]

thanks for the input all… after this gets bumped from this post feel free to still post input, Ill be making the final decision on Monday

cause i still think your sexy…even if you do have a gimpy arm

i forgot i actually knew junkie, hes still an ass because he had a point less post :stuck_out_tongue:

com on g2 crew, give me your opinions

maybe give the guys at gear-speed a call. they were very knowlegable when i called with some questions. they will do (or sell) pretty much anything you could want, wether you’re lookin for parts or a whole tranny. just an idea.

bryan

Forgive me if you’ve researched this already, or if I’m misinformed (I haven’t read up on turbo honda’s). But from what I usually see people doing… people who boost b series engines seem to prefer the LS gear ratios, the shorter geared trannies much just be too short.

Oh, and in regard to buying a brand new ys1. I suggest you actually call and find out if you can get one. I’m not sure if there are any left in the states. I think I remember hearing about them being all gone, or at least very close to all gone. I could be wrong, but I would definitely call and check on availability.

Ya there is definetly no reason to buy a new YS1. Beucase one, you will save a ton by sticking with a good/used LS YS1 and 2) as was already said, if its going to have more than about 220whp the LS tranny will def. suit you better (speaking from experience).

Just stick it out and either trust the fact that you are getting a good LS tranny, or rebuild one.

shit if i was nick i would go buy a brand new 99-00 si tranny, you got the ls ys1 case to put it in. then pickup an aftermarket lsd.
gut your ys1(yourself), grind lsd clearence in the case, have it bead blasted while its COMPLETELY bare, then have everything from the si tranny swapped into ur ys1 case with the ls 5th and aftermarket lsd…gearspeed is way overpriced, have a local tranny shop do it. whoever says ls is better you are nuts.

in the end you got an ls ys1 case, clutch assembly, and speedo sender. 00si internals(1-4 gears, final gear, synchros, shafts, bearings). 94-01 LS 5th gear, aftermarket lsd.

KRAZE: you lost me completely.

2nd of all, I dont see why honda/acura would STOP making a tranny. Maybe Im wrong :hmm:

We dont need to turn this thread into gear ratios vs boost cause Ive had that post and thread and had the arguements.

LS just sounds like bad news to me. A torqueless b16 needs the gears to get it movin’.

CABLE USDM GSR YS1 or CABLE jDM y1 both with quiafe is my ONLY option IMO…
Just how I want to do it is the big problem.

why would they stop making a tranny? because they won’t need anymore for warranty work, there isn’t much demand, and they can make use of the manufacturing capacity for something higher volume and higher profit.

strikeback is correct… honda will eventually stop making every part. They only make parts for a certain amount of time after the car is no longer being made (or maybe its not a time limit, but a set number of pieces… i’m not sure). But regardless, any car specific part that they make will only have a certain amount of pieces made, once they’re gone, they’re gone. For instance, charcoal gray floormats for the 2dr. There are zero sets left in the country. A year or two ago there were a couple sets left, in Arkansas or somewhere and a couple guys here bought them. So thats it, they’re gone for good, Honda isn’t making them anymore. Same goes for other parts as well.

honda sells pretty much every fi motor and tranny still to my knowledge.

There’s a difference between “selling” and “making”

Ah, finally found the thread I was looking for… pay attention to what 110 South says (he works at a honda parts dept here in SoCal).
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1039047&postid=12202690#12202690

Here is an update:

1. Acura does not sell COMPLETE YS1 gsr trannys.

2. the parts to rebuild a core YS1 gsr tranny is rediculous (even at my cost; parts+quiafe is more then the 2200 seen in #3).

3. type II from gear speed is 2200 shipped w/core 2700 shipped without a core.

My final thoughts:
Buy a Type II from them (the differential they use is Quiafe btw I asked) Pay the 2700 because of 1. downtime 2. i can easyly sell my jdm y1 w/lsd for the price of the core charge if not more.

How does that sound? Any other ideas of what I can fab up. Any heavyly custom setup ideas?

For the record i have a 88-91 jdm y1 and a 90-91 ys1 ls tranny laying around for parts ect. its 91 integra (short splines, cable tranny)

EDIT: I mean custom to where like what Kraze was saying, use hydro parts in our cable trannys to make a custom setup.
(i doubt itll be cheaper then what gearspeed told me; but all options are open)

:echo: BR GET IN HERE :echo:

i found a gsr ys1…gettin it with my interior. full 92-93 gsr cloth…no itch black…so sweet.