limited slip?

not sure i put this in the right category last time.

I have a 1990 acura integra ls, i race it on a circle track, and was wondering if there was a transmission out there with a limited slip differential that would bolt up to my engine with out much alteration? my engine is a stock b18a … like does a grs have a limtited slip or anything like that… thanks for any help… Chad

I think there were JDM transmissions from B16s that had an LSD, and were cable operated. dunno how the shorter gearing would affect your racing.

ive got a Y1 w/ lsd in mine (91) theoretically it drops my top speed from 135 to 120 because of the shorter gearing, but i dont care, since i rarely see over 75. down low it feels awesome with the LSD and short gearing

what model

what model can i get a ys1 out of?

do you mean the ls or gsr ys1? the ls has longer gears than the gsr.

I have gone 138mph in my teg with a b16 J1 tranny with kaaz LSD. My rpms were above 7k so i guess a non-vtec couldnt get that high with your tranny but you could for sure get past 120. I could put the needle straight down before i redline.

according to the gear ratio guide in Teg tips, the Y1 hits 120 at 6500 in 5th. I was referring to problems caused by needing to shift more possibly, i.e. at the last auto-x I was in (stock B18a and A1 trans) I reached redline in 2nd. With a VTEC trans and my stock redline I would have been shifting at several points on the course.

i have a y1 lsd on a b20b, the highest ive gotten it to is 122ish @7100 rpms

i too have a lsd y1. the gearing is wickedly quick, but the acceleration makes up for it :smiley:

ys1

i dont think the shorter gearing would affect my racing i think it would help i shift 4 times a lap anyway so i dont hink it would matter i shift into third on straightaway down it to second in turn 1 and 2 thne shift again on straighaway to third then down to 2nd again in turn 3 an 4 so if anything it would help me get alot more speed on the straights cause i only need third for a bout 3 seconds then i am back to 2nd… whats a fair price for one of these tranny’s?

the YS1 does not have a LSD - the Y1 can. some other JDM trannies can as well I believe (S1, J1).

i think

both of the tranny’s i have for my car have stickers on them and both start with s1 does this mean i have a limited slip tranny already? i dont think the tranny’s are cause when i go into the corners and all the wieght transfers to the right side the wheel on the left side spins like crazy but has no traction to move and the wheel on the right does not spin. now limited slip would force power to the wheel with the most traction right? sorry if i sound ignorant on this subject its just that i am when it comes to this. also what does jdm stand for?

A cheaper alternative to a LSD would be a bigger rear sway bar

rear sway bar

a bigger rear sway bar? would that keep the front wheels level around the turns? and would it compromise the handling of the car around the turns? i mean this car is almost impossible to loop around even going 60 in the turn. so i would not want to compromise the handling to much. thanks for the advice. Chad

Yes, a big rear sway bar will cause the car to oversteer a bit. What exactly is the circle track you’re talking about? Got a website?

good

oversteer would be great cause right now it understeers alittle so that may correct that. the website is www.fultonspeedway.com i only raced 4 races there all season but came in 7th in points with one dnf a 4th a 1st and a second if you look in the photo galery from september 11 you will see me and part of the car im in the blue fire suit the night i won. thanks for all the help everyone.

here is a link to see a good pic of the car in action passing other cars on the start www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104566

JDM is Japanese Domestic Market. Search on how to tell if a trans. has LSD, some have a bar through the middle of the diff, some don’t, don’t remember which is which.

mine has a bar

when i look in hte whole where the half shafts go there is a wide short bar going through the center of it. if that lsd?

:rofl:

i dunno if you’re mocking me or laughing with me…