gsr head/ non vtec

ok i want to be non vtec, you guys know the problem though, even if i sent my head to port flow for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, i still wouldn’t have the greatest flow, so i was thinking of using a gsr head, vtec disabled, has anyone on here done this, what does i require, i wiould assume vtec killer cams, but do i even need the soliniods or just new dowels and oil feed? information is good thanksguys/gals

Waste of money and time and is a stupid ideal on my part…Just port and polish the ls head and you can get the flow of a gsr head.Vtec cams cost more than ls cams also.

Do you plan on turbo? Dont see way you want a vtec head and not use vtec :shrug:

the gsr head has larger valves also, i am going na, besides i wotrk at a auto machine shop where i can do everything for free, i would like to run the gsr head tho, we are not equipped with a flow bench, i think that all the drag serious drag guys do not use the vtec at all, in the end it just about cam profile anyways

get oversized valves, port and polish, and bigger cams. thats the difference is the LS head and the VTEC heads. but ours will have more torque :up:

If you get the work done free cant you install bigger valves…Not sure if you can unlike old motors(v8).Get bigger valves and resit them to fit.

" i think that all the drag serious drag guys do not use the vtec at all"
You got me on that one… But i think they do…

I dont think it will work right. ls block , gsr head, High comp. pistons, Wild cams. I think the problem my be the cams since they are made to work with vtec. Get what i’m saying. Unless you regrind your cams to the specs you want… I dont know i’m just writing what i think.

Like i tell everybody else just get a h22…problem solved…

You’re right the VTEC heads flow better than the LS heads. And serious cars do “disable VTEC” in a sense but they are race cars. The Toda vtec killer camshafts are $1800 and make power around at 5k-9K+. They are used in low 11 second all motor cars and require a bunch of other parts and changes in the head…basically not anything you would want in a daily. So swapping in a VTEC head but disabling VTEC just so you can say you’re “non VTEC”…is not very smart.

toda makes vtec killer cams which dasables the vtec, on the oversdized valves part, stock ls has 31 mm valves and gsr has 33 , with new seats your looking at 32 vs 34mm ill take the 34mm, ill go over the rest of my setup to claer up some future questions, my block has dartons at 84.5mm, piston will be 11.2:1 customs block is decked head will be milled, final cr will be about 11.5:1, crower bushed rods slightly longer, stock crank, type r pump, gsr girdle line honed, redline(ls head 7200), gsr head(8200) crower springs, retainers, bronze guides.

I still don’t get why you want to disable VTEC. If you’re sticking to 11.5:1 that’s a streetable CR. So…if this is a street car why lose VTEC. I really don’t think you can run VTEC killers on the street. The only set ups I’ve read about with VTEC killers are 13:1 or even 14:1 CR.

what is your goal for this car? as trindol said, i have only seen the killer cams used in full race setups. if this is going to be a street car i don’t see why you would want to go without VTEC?

my guesss would be that if you go wth a gsr head without the solenoids or anything you may not have problems. that is if you are using the head for the sole reason of flow.

it just seems odd to me that you would want to disable VTEC? unless you don’t want to be labeled as another VTEC fiend…? kinda the same reason i am going NA, dont want to be a FI ‘fiend’. even though FI is the cheapest way to power.

ok enough from me

joe

I was thinking that you would want to disable vtec so you don’t have the low end cam lobes engaged at the low end. What would happen if you had the selenoid engaged at all times as to keep your high end lobes engaged at all times? I am sure you could do that electricaly, and still be able to swap out the toda cams for stock and just re-engage the vtec selenoid at it’s stock rpm posistion. Is this making sense or am I completely off on it?