b16 tranny?

why does everybody say the b16 tranny is the best, just wondering

Gears are shorter then non-vtec trannies.

Also a bit shorter than the YS1 from the GSR. Trust me, i’ve experienced both and i know.

are all the b16 trannys the same tho?

no, thats why its stupid when people go around saying that the “b16” tranny is the best… There are at least 4 different gear sets that come mated to “b16” engines.

I suggest you do some research on your own… do some searches with google, or on honda-tech. There are some charts out there that list the gear ratios in different b series trannies. Make sure you look at at least 2 or 3 of the charts, because sometimes some of the info will be incorrect. So just make sure you get other websites to confirm the data.

Also, to help you make your gearing decisions…here is a neat little calculator. You put in the correct info about the tranny, your redline, and your tire diameter, then it will show you your speeds at the top of each gear. This makes it easier to compare one tranny to another. Here’s the link: autocrossing.com is coming soon Also, to calculate your tire diameter you can use this: Tire size calculator

Hope that helps.

aren’t all CABLE b16’s the same?

no.

wow try searching for b16 gearing ratios…you might learn something

correct me if im wrong but y1 is the shortest?

Well, i just did some looking around… and unfortunately most of the gear ratio charts are no longer available, the websites just don’t exist. I was able to find one of 'em (http://www.allmotorhonda.com/techpages/B-series_Tranny_specs.htm) and I know there is at least one more that is still up and running, but I can’t seem to find it right now.

As for the y1 vs s1/j1… the y1’s gears are shorter, however the final drive is only a 4.2, whereas the s1 and j1 have a bit taller gears but the 4.4 final drive. So which one is shorter will sorta depend. I haven’t driven either of 'em so I can’t say from first hand experience. You can however use the calculator I already posted to find out which is shorter.

Note Remember not to trust any one site completely, there are errors on a lot of these gear ratio sites. I already noticed conflicting info between the ratio’s given in the calculator and the ones given in the above chart.

at this link all those trannys will fit the b18 block right, just makin sure

I have tried the s1 and y1 to see which one i liked on my SirII B16. Y1 was my choice. It just depends how you drive and what you want.

Are there some companies that built trannsmissions with custom gear ratios, if so, what are some links?

Any b series tranny will bolt to any b series block.

There is a company based out of riverside county here in so cal that does transmission work. From what I understand they do pretty good work, and it sounds like they can do custom stuff too (although there are limits on what they are willing to do). Here’s their website: www.gear-speed.com

As far as I know there are no aftermarket gearsets available for the 1st generation of b series trannies (89-91). However you should be able to swap in other 89-91 gears to get something a bit more “custom”.

I believe there are some companies that make custom gearsets for the 2nd generation of b series trannies (92+). However they are quite expensive. You can however swap most all of the parts in 92+ trannies. There are many different 92+ transmissions so there are many different gearsets that you could mix/match to you tastes. If you want to go this route you’ll need to start off w/ a ys1 tranny case, then build from there. You cannot use the s1, a1, j1, or y1 cases if you want to run 92+ internals.

There are lots of options out there, but chances are there will be an oem tranny that fits your needs (unless you’re super super picky or have some very particular or odd needs). Just remember that tranny parts and labor are not cheap. Its surprising how much you could spend if you get carried away.

cool, thanks for all your input

i just found out i can get a set of carbon fiber synchros for around 200, i think i just might get a lil crazy and go for it lol

They’re not carbon fiber, they’re carbon coated. And it would most likely be wise to replace the whole gearset, not just the synchros. Its not just the synchro that wears out. Usually its best to replace the whole gearset, but if for some reason only the synchro is worn…then replacing only it I assume would be just fine.

oh buddy im on my 4th gearset and 3rd case counting my stock ls, i even got a broken mugen cable lsd under my belt. my heep is actually cursed but i think i found the source of the curse…it was my itr shift knob…long story but i traded someone for a skunk2 and im gonna try one more gearset and i hope it all works good after that or i quit

should make the edit post time 10 mins cause i r illiterate

ive got a JDM Y1 B16 w/ LSD in my heep. its nice cause i think i get better mileage on the street than the highway. since on the street at 45 in 5th, im running 2500 rpms. and on the freeway at 65 im 3500