b16 swap almost done, help me!

i’m almost done swapping my first gen b16 into my 91 integra. i have just a few issues at this point before i can finish it up. only one is a HUGE problem…
the car starts, idles (high at 1700-2000), and what not. pretty well at this point, especially w/out the 2nd o2 wired. however if i run it for a while…it starts to overheat, and i turn it off. this is sitting at idle only as well, so i imagine it’d get hot real fast if i drove it. i was curious about the t-stat, and when i went to feel the hoses, they were all cold, as though no fluid had passed through? the car blew a head gasket on the previous motor prior to doing this swap, so a bad radiator is a possibility…

also, the high idle. i don’t know that i have the vacuum lines all right, as there were actually more on the original b18a than there are fittings on the new motor. anyone have a good resourse for the vacuum info in this situation?

last problem is the worst. i’m trying to reassemble the drivers side suspension after installing the axle, and the thing WILL NOT sit back far enough to connect the control arm, sway bar, etc. when i remove the axle, it goes where it needs to. however, i’ve removed and reinstalled the axle repeatedly, and it’s as far as it will go. it SEEMS to me the axle is seated properly. there is a VERY small gap at the intermediate shaft, but it doesn’t look unusual. am i missing something? for reference, i used the stock axles and intermediate shaft from my b18a.

thanks for any help guys. i need to bring the car home tomorrow no matter what, and i’m hoping it’s not on a tow truck

:cool: did you replace your water pump? that can cause the over heating problem. Radiator bad?, don’t think so. If you run the water through the radiator it shoud drop from the bottom. I just did a 2nd Gen B16A swap in my car and didn’t have that many problems. I also ran my stock axels and half shaft with out a problem. All i can say is to check that nothing is in the way when you install your axel. Try to put everything together and leave the axel last. It should have enough play to allow you to fit it in.

updates…

t-stat appears to be bad. i’ll replace it and see if that fixes the problem…i suspect it will. if not, it’s the water pump. the radiator checks out…so let’s hope it’s just a t-stat!! haha

as for the axle…i actually did put everything together w/out it…and when i took a second look…the axle was broken at the end that connects to the half shaft. and it made it that much longer. so i’m going to have to get a new axle…not as bad as it could of been.

as for the idle, i think i’m just going to have to double check all the vacuum. i’ve actually got it down quite a bit. as soon as i get the cooling issue down, i’ll take the time to get this right.

alawys replace thermostats in a engien thathas sat for a while. swapped a b16 into a guy’s in teg here and the thermostat was dried and rusted shut. try adjsuting the idle set screw to lwoer your high idle. How are all your vacuum lines on the manifold/TB hooked up now?

Was the axle actually broken, or did the cv joint just come apart? Some shops use a generic type cv boot that work (ie hold the grease in) but pretty much push the cv joint apart when they they get the chance because they are too big. If it was just the cv joint you can remove the boot, put the joint back together with a new cv boot.

well…it’s inside the boot at the end that connects to the intermediate shaft. i’m pretty sure there’s a cv there. and yes, whatevers messed up IS inside that boot. i haven’t taken the boot off…but it’s worth a look. too bad the car is two hours away at the moment…but thanks for the heads up. hopefully that works out for me. thanks again