smog ref

i want to drop a gsr motor in my DA and i live in san diego california… will it be hard to smog it??? i heard you have to to go to the smog ref… howmuch will it cost to do the complete swap inlcuding how much the somg ref charges?? where is the somg ref located?? and what is better and cheaper b16a1 or b18c1??

This is probably covered before, but a few points to consider.

1. I think the engine has to be from your year car or newer to be legal. So you couldn’t switch to a OBD-0 B16a.
  2. A B18c is torquier than a B16a, also more expensive. dunno how much htat will matter to you.
  3. Costs will vary widely

i don’t think the smog ref charges more than a usual smog? just look in the phone book, there is usually a number to call to schedule a ref appointment and they will tell you where they are. visit the ref first and pick his mind for answers, they will tell you exactly how to set everything up.

the easiest way you are going to get a b16 to ref is if you set it up as a del sol motor, OBD1 but thats gonna be an adventure to find the ecu from the SI model.

i say go b18c1(emission parts are easier to find) and get a short geared cable tranny.