b17a W/LS tranny I hate it WTD

OK guys I have a 92 gsr which i got from an auction a while back now.The cars transmission was fucked but i got it for a cheap price.I wasnt Informed with all the tranny knowledge Ive been seeing lately then and I just had the tranny on the g2 gsr rebuilt.There was no tag on the tranny housing so I was taking a chance hoping it was the stock short-geared b17 tranny.Now down the road everyone tells me its an LS tranny.1st and secong gear rev through rather quickly but when i shift into third (even power shifting), My rev falls to about 5k and i fall out of vtec.Im sick and tired of my friends 00Si b18/c swapped w/b16 tranny pulling on me once i shift into third gear.My question is this.I plan on boosting my car very very soon.Should I sell my rebuilt tranny w/reciepts and 6k on it in favor of a b16 tranny.(hopefully spend no more then a few hundred bucks), or should i try out a vtec controller and keep my tranny for boost.I was thinking the LS tranny might be better on boost due to the longer gearing(less wheel spin),(better gas mileage)…Anybody have any thoughts,suggestions,experience,etc.Let me know what ya think I should do…

post the speed you’re at in 2nd and 3rd gears at redline… that should help us determine what tranny you have.

ls tranny is great for boost but a 99-00 si tranny is the shortest geared b-series tranny to my knowledge. im looking for one to slap the internals in a 92-93 case.

where are you getting this info? I’ve NEVER heard that the 99-00 si has the shortest gears… Post up some links of gear ratios (please post more than one, because many out there are incorrect/conflicting).

vtec controller

wow, thats a stupid answer…

well, this might be a first but i guess im wrong. short ys1 uses the same gearing. the final is wrong on 99 si, im pretty sure its 4.40 too. it even says its debatable.
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm

What he said.

dude i had to correct you 4 times already. when you sound like you know what you are talking about you fall off and give some weird info. are you sure youre not trying to do this on purpose? if not. again im not trying to flame you. remember. youre a thinker and thats good.

sup milanogisser
since you are going turbo might as well stay with your tranny if its the low geared ys1. whats your rpm @ 80mph?

on my 92gsr the ys1 was at 4400 rpm crusing at 80mph (close gear tranny)
on my old setup, my 91rs i swapped in a long geared ys1, it was at 3500 rpm at 80mph.

basically my 92 gsr has a final drive of 4.400 (4400rpm @ 80mph)
and my other g2 with the long geared ys1 had a final drive of 4.266
(3500rpm @ 80 mph)

if you look at the chart the long geared ys1 is almost identical to the 94 LS s80 tranny.

i hope that helps you out

i using a y1 now :manual:

i’m not an english major, so sue me…
actually i wasn’t even really wrong. technically it is still the shortest gearing but short ys1 is also. :smiley:

dude im using a 99si tranny in my gsr powered eg. i wish what you are saying is true but the final drive doesnt think so. basically i would need a 4.785 final drive in order for your statement to be true.

with my jdm b16 tranny (i think its a S1) going 80 i’m at 5K…i know stock tachs are off a bit so i dont think thats very accurate. going 65 im at 4K

i highy doubt that 99-00 Si transmission has the shortest gearing.

Shorter gears are always better, boost or no boost, until your top speed is limited by them.

Ideally, get a cable b16/gsr tranny and swap in an LS 5th.

i thought 99 si tranny are same as gsr tranny. :think:

G2sleeper- correct you do have to keep in mind that stock tachs and mph guages are aff a bit. its seems right cause with s1 trannies you hit about 4700rpm doing 80mph.

sup arw321- short gears are always better for allmotor and nitrous.
with boost you need more gearing in order for the boost to make its power to the ground. thats why you see some guys bounce off the rev limiter with shorter gears because they havent reached peak boost.

rjgerolaga- as for 99 si tranny and gsr. um just check out at the chart again :read:

99 Si gearing and ITR gearing is the same. ITR has LSD, the Si tranny does not.

Theoretically shorter gears are ALWAYS better for acceleration. The longer gearing is better for boost is a common misconception that a lot of people seem to have. As long as you can get the power to the ground, you’re always going to accelerate faster with shorter gearing. I hear what you are saying, but maybe that would be a problem caused moreso by lack of traction?

WIth my built all motor LS and j1 tranny, punching it at any rpm in 1st just induces tire spin, and before I know it, I need to shift to 2nd and attempt to get traction.

HP is a function of torque and RPM… shorter gearing effectively changes hp and tq curves and ultimately power to the ground, in all applications, whether it be all motor, nitrous, turbo, etc…

dude then why doesnt the 99 si have a 4.785 final drive? exactly… they are not the same. im not getting this info out my ass buddy. this is out of experience. not traction problems.

im really here to help milanogisser, telling him to get a b16 tranny and thowing in a ls 5th is not ideal. arw if you wanna do it for your own personal setup go ahead.

im just pertaining to street turbo set ups. some racers use b16 gearing in their race cars. most have switched to custom gears.
but its a different ball game when tuning high hp. peak boost and gearing is involved.

ehhh what ever im done with this.

I’m not trying to start something man, take it easy.

I’m just trying to pass on what I’ve learnt.

Do a search on honda-tech regarding gearing and boost.

And, the USDM ITR and the 99 Si trannys have identical ratios, both 4.4 FD.