anyone ever rebuilt a B17a?

ok, i was just wonderin if anyone had a B17a that they rebuilt, and what type of pistons they had used, also wat kind of gains. I’m trying to figure out what kindof setup to go with, either the PR3 or P73 pistons. Just can’t decide which one would give me better gains, so i was wonderin who had used these pistons in their B17a’s and what gains they saw, also what kind of setup, rods, fuel, etc. Thanks for the help> LAters Would the stock rods be able to withstand the all-motor setup with these “stock” pistons?

“stock” pistons meaning- stock pistons inside B16a or the B18C5 motors. (Not aftermarket)

Also, has anyone who done this type of rebuild kept the stock cams, or did u switch those out to? did u have any problems with our setup? thanks>

There are many of us who have rebuilt our B17a’s using OEM Honda pistons.

I’d recommend PR3 pistons. I went with the CTR pistons which is a little too extreme for CA pump gas.

Stock cams are no comparison to the CTR cams I’m using.

No dyno numbers, sorry.

I’m currently rebuilding my b17a motor…going with p30 pistons. I’m using ctr cams and toda cam gears. Type-r intake manifold…and the list goes on…

your stock rods should be fine, but just to be safe and shot-peen them.

i plan on going with all ITR internals and going with ctr cams …i am considering ctr pistons but im not positive yet …alot of people like oem rebuilds because you are still using oem honda parts …and you can still make nice power …but im not going to be rebuilding for a while my b17 still has alot of life left in her :up:

ok then-

ok well, just to double check. This would be a good setup then-

Pr3 Pistons
Stock B17a Rods “shot peened”
CTR camshafts

All these components will work with the B17a? As for the camshafts, what else should be replaced when changing the camshafts? and do the connectin rods fit with the Pr3’s or will the machine shop come in to play on that?
Anyway, anyone got any suggestions for this setup? or any problems they encountered when using any of these parts? Thanks guys, i’m just tryin to get as much info as i can before ordering parts for the rebuild. I’ve been doin the searches, just havent found many people posting this info about their setup or ths similar setup. Thanks again. CYA

These are oem honda corp parts… there is now issue with them. Either the rods or pistons need a very small amount of machining to fit, very basic. You might look into a dual spring set up that will yield a higher lift capability, perhaps type r LMA’s and oil pump. this is a great set up.
Peace
Schu

Since when do PR3 pistons need to be machined to fit B17A rods?

oops your right I was thinking 30’s

schu, the p30’s fit the rods as well. You only need to machine the rods if you’re using p72, p73, or pct pistons.

Don’t let Dave see this :doh:

Doh!!!

HEY DAVE!!! :flame:

[size=7]dave![/size]

it’s for you, dave!

oki doki

allright- so= sound good ?

Pr3 Pistons
CTR Camshafts
Stock B17a shot peened rods
Type R Oil Pump
Type R LMA

Any other suggestions? All these parts, the rest stock B17a Gsr? No other parts needed? j/w. Not any different retainers needed for the cams? or cam gears? well, of course different gears: any suggestions? thanks guys.

P.S. should the valves be changedout with the cams? and what car do the Pr3’s come from? civic? integra? forgot, my B-series says the B16a is in the Del Sol and Civic Si. Thanks again, lates

buy the pistons new. its worth the extra couple bucks. pr3 are 99-00 civic si’s in the us or 1st gen b16’s in japan. i suggest the p30 which are jdm b16 pistons. they are sweet. =) not really that much higher compression.
valvetrain…i’d just go get aftermarket valvetrain. 500 will buy u valves, springs and retainers…most aftermarket valvetrain companies will sell just springs and retainers too if you are going broke already. i definately wouldnt use stock tho. itr/ctr is fine but you dont leave much room for upgrade(lumpy cams…).

price range

allright so the aftermarket valve train would be best. How much do u think the PR3 pistons go for as opposed to the P30’s? Wont the P30’s be a little hard to get since they are JDM? I’m pretty sure this is what i’m lookin at for parts so far, anyone think otherwise?

Valve Train 500$ (springs/retainers/valves)
Camshafts 500$ (CTR new from Honda)
Pistons Pr3?$ - P30?$
Machine shop work ? depending on condition of block ¿ (shot peening rods/balancing block/installing valve train/ boring block for pistons/cleaning block) ¿any thing else¿

hmm… ¿?

jhp sells p30’s. http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_31_42&osCsid=aeb728b76e337d36bd209c773640f2b3
the funny thing is ctr(pct) pistons are $30 less.
p30’s- 179
pct’s- 149
plus rings- 110
also os means .25mm oversized incase you didnt know yet. i forget what i was quoted but i think for my block work i was quoted 400. :shrug:
btw pistons are expensive direct from honda, unless you know someone who works there.

like scott or vernon. :stuck_out_tongue:

i also think the p30’s jhp sells are new aftermarket replacements, whereas the ctr’s are not. could be wrong tho. :shrug:

Keep in mind that though the PCT pistons are $30 less than the P30, it will take almost $30 in machine work to fit them to the B17 connecting rods. It will also take much more than that to tune the car to run right with 91 octane.