Whats better? NOS or TURBO?

Ok guys. I have a 91 ls with a JDM gsr with 30k miles on it. Im at about 10-6 compression and dont want to blow the motor. Im lookin in to running a 6 psi turbo or a 50 shot Nos kit. Im going to run a dry spry if i go with NOS but is it good for the motor. I was talking to my shop and they said the JDM loves NOS but i hear lots of people blowing the motors. Same with turbos. What do you all think? P.S the motor is stock Running at 160whp

Wow your motor is not pushing 160whp stock. Sorry

And you should go with NAAAAAWWWWSSS!

p.s. really its all in the tune as to whether you are going to blow your motor boosted or all naaaaawwwwwsed up.

160whp. I know but it is true. Dont ask me how but i was 1 of the lucky guys. :angel: But yea, i think im going to do the nos kit. idk? Might just keep it stock. Im not looking to be all that fast but faster sounds fun:bowdown:

Well like he said its all in the tune and how you drive. If you beat the shit outta your car daily then you motor isnt going to last long. Also i think it will be better if you boost because if you get pulled over with a NOS bottle hooked up youll get a ticket or impounded. At least thats the law over here. I say boost it tho your gonna spend watever amount of money on 50hp and you could spend same amount or more on 50+ hp. Nos i think will blow your motor quicker tho.

And how would it be any different if he got pulled over with a turbo?

You’ll get a ticket and sent to state ref either way.

Im moving to carson city NV so i dont need to smog. :rockon: If i do the nos im not going to have it hooked up every day. Only at the tracks.

There not that strict over here. I kno plenty of people in boosted hondas and Acuras over here and no one has gotten any tickets for their set ups or sent to state ref here. I can only recall one time when my friend turbo seals were bad and was smoking up the road. That was the only time all they did was send him to get the car inspected and he was sent on his way.

Sounds like you need to do some more research. First of all your “jap” gsr motor is basically the same as a us version, but with crazy high milage and no paperwork. Cali is the only state that cares if you turbo a naturally aspired car to my knowledge, but in just about any state cops will try to bust your balls if they see your nitrous bottle.

Dry nitrous is garbage, you can get a nice wet setup that will support good hp for around $500. I spent around $2500 on mine not including the stand alone, injectors, or $5 / lb for the actual nitrous. I like nitrous express and Harris speed works better than nos or zex. Nitrous might be cheaper to install but at $50+ per fill it adds up quickly. Not practical for the street, but it works awesome for race applications.

To turbo a car and boost 6psi you are not going to be very efficient. You will be adding a ton of heat and hardly getting any added power. You need to look at the efficiency map for the turbo you are considering see where it starts to add significant heat and boost as much as you can before the turbo is outside its efficiency range. If you aren’t looking for huge gains you could mod a jr supercharger to fit the G2 chassis or purchase a smaller turbo and boost a little more pressure when you are racing and need the extra power.