LS motor build, what HP to shoot for?

So I just finished my motor build and wanted opinions on what I should shoot for hp wise. Anyways, the build goes like this:
Wiseco 81.5 pistons
Wiseco rings
Eagle H Rods
ACL bearing
Ported and polished and resurfaced 94 ls Head
Stock valvetrain
ARP headstuds
OEM headgasket

Now my car is tuned at 7.5lbs of boost on hondata for the bone stock motor which no longer exists. That made 217 hp and 204 tq on the dyno. t3t4 turbo, dsm 450cc injectors (upgrade?).

I am starting a similar build but will be using a Vtec head, and shooting for 400whp or close to it. If I had your set up I would want to see around 340-370 depending on how comfortable you are when it comes to pushing the motor. I’d say you’re set for an easy 300-320…I mean there are guys runnin 15 psi on stock LS motors and seeing them run for quite some time with good tuning…

Does anyone know if you can get 500+ hp with a ls motor fully built, or do you need ls/vtec to see those numbers.

granted, many vtec setups will yield similar numbers with less boost, but if you’re building it properly boost all you want.

basically, it takes more work to get the LS head to flow enough to see numbers like that, but if it’s your bag go for it. :up:

(and that comes from lots of folks who port for a living and their experiences with ls heads and flow vs. vtec heads and flow–a vtec head with a good valve job will flow just as well as an LS head with lots of material removed.)

I would say that you’re looking at 300-325hp max, also depending on the turbo you have.

I see some weak points in the build and one of them is the Stock valvetrain. Upgraded valvetrain is important so you can take advantage of the high RPM boost. With an old valvetrain, you are risking valve float at the high RPM.
While stock sleeves can withstand a good amount of boost pressure, its best to sleeve the block if planning to make 400HP+
I’d look into building your motor with HONDA OEM bearings. We’ve had many customers come to us with “built” motors from other Builders that have used ACL Universal bearings. And many come with bad bearings, to damaged cranks. We suggest measuring the main and rod bearings to SPEC that matches the Honda sizes.
From our experience, the ACL Universal kits dont perfectly match the sizes of Honda cranks to Eagle Rods. You’ll get some off sizes here and there and when you are building something of this value, is skimping out on the bearings the right thing to do? The best bet is to do precise measurements and get the proper sizes that you need. It’ll turn like butter after you’ve done it right. :slight_smile:

Funny many people recomended me to acl bearings on honda-tech. That is the only reason I went with them. Well I hope they last.
Also, bigger injectors and a 3 bar map sensor are also things I should get soon. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

ACL bearings work, but how many motors do those guys build? We do several a month and none ever have bearing problems. Its just one of those things that give you a better piece of mind.
Even on our race cars… Honda Bearings only. They even last 2-4 races without rebuilding, and can possibly go more passes on them.
I’ve seen some guys rebuild motors every race and just keep sticking in ACLs in there every time. I guess they like to tear down motors every 5-6 passes.

Good luck with your build!

i would say that you are pretty well equipped to go for 300-320 whp, but you might want to upgrade to larger injectors. also, do you still have stock fuel pump?

I have a 255lph fuel pump right now with a fpr and fpgauge

what about the head gasket. shouldnt he go with the cometics or something that can hold boost better???

Stock OEM head gaskets are good enough for high boost.

We use OEM only for all our engines. from the 800hp 35 psi to the street driven 10psi setups.

Wil

^^^what type of oil pump do you recommend for 350whp LS?thanks

any turbo engine that you’re building firsthand should be upgraded to a type r oil pump. :up:

ITR oil pump is good enough for 350hp

I know Earl from HT uses ACL in his builds…just sayin thats someone that does build alot of motors and uses/reccomends ACL bearings.

what do you reccomend for someone wanting to run a thinner than stock HG ?

… i’ve seen stock LS b18b @ 17lbs w 740cc’s/255walboro on a t3/to4e tuned w uberdata --open downpipe … 304whp and 272lb/ft–daily driven 11mnths beaten like a snake … …it then gave up-- oil pump gave up… then second block – ringlands quit after a mistaken 20psi mishap…

– if u are gonna be that built and tuff— certainly would make more power w upgraded injectors…20psi on that t3/t4— 350-375whp… i would forecast… tuned correctly of course… broken in patiently…

t3/t4 is a pretty damn vague term. there’s turbos that fall in that family capable of flowing anywhere from 35CFM all the way up to around 72CFM.

obviously that will give different results–spool, power, etc. :slight_smile:

I am not sure what cfm my t3t4 flows either. Something I need to talk to the manufacturer about. Anyways. New injectors are going to be bought very soon. Probably 740’s actually. The problem is I am still running a 2in dp. I want to get a new front xmember to allow room for a 3in. Anyways, thanks for all the info guys.