boost requires load?

I just cant get a grasp on this. Some people say that you need load on the engine to get boost. Others say you don’t. It seems like more knowledgable people say you do need load.

why is that. Doesnt the turbo make boost relative to the amount of flow going through the turbine? How is the flow or anything change whether it is connected to the transmission or not. I mean I can understand transmitted power, but shouldn’t the boost gauge and every other boost dependant device function while out of gear revving it.

is it just cause you can hold the higher rpm for the flow to increase through the engine while driving allowing pressure to build and not just blip to full throttle at rest in idle

someone clear this up for me. thx

Yes you need load to spool a turbo. You’re exhaust gases are alot different from free reving and when in egar WOT. more flow, more heat etc etc :read:

laf. silly bear.

everyone knows there’s no such thing as flow. it’s the exhaust gnomes that see you’re moving forward so they blow harder to make the turbo spool.

duh. :stuck_out_tongue:

My bad he’s right. it’s all cause of the gnomes :smiley: :open_mouth:

go argue that with engineers… :frowning:

:rofl: you guys and your knomes! But seriously, you need load to actually build boost. I don’t think you build boost in neutral. I’m no expert at this, but I believe this is correct and if not someone page the knomes :lol:

You can build boost in neutral. Just get either A: a smaller trubo, or b: a larger engine.

Most stock turboed cars can build boost sitting at alight.

Underpants Gnomes!

:rofl:

LOL WTF :dance:

Time to go to work, work all night.
Search for underpants kaayy.
We won’t stop untill we have underpants,
Yum-tum-yummy-tum-tay

:lol: