Built Turbo LS...to rev high, questions

I havent seen or heard of a Built turbo LS that can rev as high as a GSR. I plan on going all out on a motor build and was trying to decide GSR/LS/ or LSvtec. I came to the conclusion that I could just Build an LS to rev higher…all motor LS’s do it, so why not the turbo ones?. This would give more time for the turbo to spool, and take away that advantage the GSR’s have, which was to rev high. So this post was basically to call out the guys who have actually built an LS turbo that can handle the higher revvs so I can get an Idea of what I’m going to have to do to get this to work right. Besides just building the motor up a bunch.

You’re going to need massive (professional) head porting/rebuild work for a turbo setup, an aftermarket IM, cams and cam gears and of course lots of tuning.

If you want to rev high, you are really better off picking up a B16 head…stock they breathe better than a highly ported LS head.

Basically there ports are designed diff… U ever notice that turboed LSs have higher tq then gsr’s the head is one of the main reasons…

Yes the head will need to be extremly ported/reworked and maybe aftermarket valves for oversizeing… Its deff. doable and i like the idea and have thought bout it myself… But just never really cared to much to put the money into it and try…

Soo as the other guy said you are better off with a B16 or GSR head and i would use ITR cams and vavletrain in that situation…

Haber- Any other advise??

GL
DG

Haber is partial to straight LS motors…he’s not a big fan of VtACK!

When you have turbo you dont need to rev high like a N/A setup.

Why not?

from what i have been told, the ls head tends to have the valve lash come out of adjustment after a few trips to 7500rpms. the ls would need a good deal of port work and some nice turbo cams to get revving 8000k +, not to mention it has a r/s ratio of like 1.54.

Lets way out your options. Using a LS head to rev high will take the following:

-bigger valves $250
-good valve train $350
-cam-$450-600 depending on the ones you choose
-extensive porting $1200
And still will not out flow a bone stock B16A,GSR or TypeR head and idle like a big block chevy with a serious lope with more then likely a serging idle. The port configuration is designed completely different because it was not built to rev high thats why the rev limit stock was inbetween 6500-6800rpm

Now with a vtec head you don’t need any of the above because there are countless amounts of stock vtec heads untouched making over 600whp. The only thing I would do is get a set of TypeR or GSR camshafts and call it a day and it will sound and idle like a bone stock vtec motor with no lope or serging. But the best of all that is better gas economy when out of vtec. I tried both already. I started out with a non vtec motor with a JG ported head , JG 1001 cams, skunk2 intake manifold & bigger throttlebody on a built LS bottomend. I liked the setup don’t get me wrong, but I hated the idle, the serging and the shitty gas mileage I got. After I sold all of that I got a stock B16a head with GSR cams in it with a JG Victor X intake and the difference was night and day in all aspects from idleing to performing and still managed to put some money back in my pockets when it was all said and done. just my 2 cents, Good luck.