Anyone here running AEM EMS?

Hey guys,

I have recently sold my Hondata 2b with an OBD1 P72 Gs-r ecu, and going with an AEM EMS 30-1000 for my '92 teg. I was hoping someone may have done this similar change, upgrade etc. Reason is im curious to know if there will be any wire tweaking that would have to be done so I could have my AEM just simply plug and play so I could have it tuned.

Thanks.

pretty much plug and play, only thing would to get an extra bung put in for the AEM wide band. good luck with the tuning.

Awesome!

I already have the extra bung for wideband tuning.
Thanks for your help.

the AEM is way to friggin complicated…too many maps and settings to set and double check and play with.

nothing runs a honda like a stock honda ECU…i think you made a bad choice with that upgrade

I am not tuning the AEM unit, my tuner is. He knows the software very well, as quite a few of the big HP guys run this system in town.

Explain why I made a bad choice? I am curious to hear your reason(s) for saying that? I have heard nothing but great things about the AEM unit. I have done research, heard different peoples opinions, and have yet to find anything bad.

I liked my Hondata, and ECU setup but at this time with the power im making, and look forward to making in the future the AEM was a smart choice in my opinion.

Well, since you arent even doing the tuning that makes me think its an even worse decision. Unless you need to run more than 29.5 PSI (3 Bar map limit of Hondata) than I dont know why you would spend the money to switch and retune.

There are some other nice features of AEM, yes…but there’s just too much to control. Is your tuner going to come to every event you compete at? That could get expensive…

My friend got the AEM for his turbo H22 hatch and we had nothing but issues. None of the mods on the AEM forums could help him with the issues either. He almost sent it in to be looked at but then JDogg (one of the best AEM tuners on the east coast) came to look at his car for a very fair price. He got some of the issues worked out but not all, while they were tuning (and this is no fault of the EMS or Tuner) a piece of the rotor broke off and flooded an entire cylinder and essentially washed the cylinder, rings and piston to 0 psi of compression.

A honda ECU would have caught that.

Hell, one of the other best tuners on the East Coast (Jeff Evans aka Boosted-Hybrid) used AEM on his Full Race GSR Hatch and after a few months sold it and said he would never tune AEM again.

Now explain to me WHY you decided to switch and what the determining factors were?

So your basing your opinion on a couple bad experiences? I have heard many different horror stories with people using different EMS’.

The reason why im getting it is because I got a very good deal, and like what I hear and see with the AEM unit. My motor is fully built, and sometime down the road may want to go with a bigger turbo etc.

I have actually had my tuner run into problems with Hondata many times. I have actually had to send my Hondata unit to them 3 different times for 3 different problems, which they fixed, but down time sucked. There have also been a few instances where I have heard of the AEM units being sent out for this and that.

Regardless, I can’t wait for my AEM EMS!

man, there IS NO body in San Diego county that tunes AEM. I don’t know why, to me it would be another way for shops to make money off of you but nobody out here messes with those units.

i can care less for the AEM or Hondata. the best software is free software!!! Uberdata, turboedit, chrome and a couple others. but like chris said about his boys car. the ECU monitors alot more stuff then what your about to get.

I know A guy out here uses SDS EMS on his G2 running 36PSi and a 100 shot of nitrous but he always wishes he can go back to the Hondata that he had. I guess it’s all in trial and error. tell me how it goes. good luck :cross:

I am basing my opinion on personal experiences combined with that of highly respected and talented tuners I know personally. You are basing yours on what you “like, hear and see” it sounds to me.

So you are hopping on a bandwagon? I see no actual reasons you NEED to make the jump to anything more than Hondata because you havent given any. Hondata has been more than capable of reaching 600+ HP numbers recently. And if you already have a more than capable EMS, how is paying out more money for another one a “very good deal?”

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I’m not trying to rain on your parade…I just think you made a poor decision.

I didn’t want to get into the list of reasons why im switching, and I know I said “because im getting a good deal” which makes it sound like im switching because im “hopping on a bandwagon” so here goes…

• eliminate annoying 4-5k bogging prob that Hondata has.
  • 2 step rev limit (i currently don’t have it with hondata)
  • ability for more boost down the road

Those are basically a few reasons as to why im making the switch.

For the record, I actually appreciate you giving your personal feedback. I t sounds like you have tuned a few cars yourself, I respect that. I don’t tune, don’t know how to, and leave that up to my tuner. He hasn’t told me to switch but has said that with the problems we have been having with the Hondata unit itself it may be a wise choice to go AEM, especially if I plan to go more boost, and would like the additional options, 2 step rev limit etc.

We’ll see, I still haven’t bought it, but plan to. I just want to be done with the sending away of the box, and the bogging problem that everyone seems to have, and haven’t been able to figure out.

I didnt realize Hondata was still having bogging issues…i thought they took care of all of that over a year ago.

3 Step - Full throttle launch, full throttle shift and rev limiter are features of Hondata, i guess you have to pay a little more for them. Shit, you could go Uberdata and get those for free :wink:

Hey if your tuner is confident in AEM and you have the $$$, great…I’m all about spending that kind of money in places where it can be better used as I am more of a DIY guy.

I would recommend spending the money you would on AEM and going to one of the EFI101 classes and learning how to tune yourself. It will provide a much greater return :slight_smile:

Ya, it seems that they still are having those problems. Many tuners have spent hours on trying to eliminate it and no luck.

Unfortunately they don’t offer those EFI101 classes here where I am.

I will have to see what happens. Hopefully it all works out for me in the end.

Thanks again for your input.