Pulled my engine today...hairline cracked sleeve :(

Yep…pulled my first engine today, all by myself. Went to the garage on a mission to pull the head, hoping to find a busted head gasket that I could easily replace. Few problems through out the day as there always are…

When taking out the cams gears…I tried the 5mm dowel thing and this happened.

Yep, the fucken cam cap just broke…i dunno. I figured it wouldnt hurt much if I had to put it back together like that.

So I continued and got the head off. (first time pulling the head too)

Once I took it off, I found this lovely thing…

A hair line crack in the cylinder. This is the culprit of my massive blow-by, low compression and radiator overflow tank continually exploding. At least it made 251 HP on the dyno, even with the crack! Shit… >:(

So, I decided that I am going to have to put in my other engine that I got recently for free basically. So I pulled the tranny.

Then I dropped the block.

Lowering the block all by yourself with 3 jacks isn’t all that hard really. :slight_smile:

Well that was my day. Spent about 10 hours at the garage and did it all by myself in my tiny space. I was pretty happy by the end and learned a lot once again.

reading is one thing and doing it is another. not what you think when it’s all done. Nice find on that block. are you going to get your block that you took out sleeved? AEBS, GOLDEN EAGLE, BENSON’S, EXOSPEED, DARTON, DART,

Shoulda jsut taken out the whoel engien full and dissasembled from tehre, I find that much easier hehe. But good job.

Heh, its never that easy…I have a cam cap for that head if you need one…

Nope, never is…

If I do get it sleeved it will either be sent to Earl for Benson sleeves or I might have to talk to Josh about getting it ERL sleeved. We’ll see what happens.

Ah man I hate running into problems like that.

I can relate Chris i went through the same exact thing last year, but when i pulled my head not only was one of my sleeves cracked my head was fucked up. Thats when i built the LS/VTEC motor i have now. Good luck and good job doing that by yourself…

Bleh…I wouldnt even know what a fucked head looks like :slight_smile:

Hey you said you could find me a good deal on a VTEC head Allan…hook that shit up bro!

Built LS-VTEC-T :slight_smile: heheheheh

is that an ls or b20 block?
I was consider boosting my stock sleeved b20 but its pics like these that scare me… : :sad:

good luck.

LS…b18a

B18b long block goes in as soon as I can get to it.

This will get sleeved and built on the side as time/money permits.

Chris, I will work you the best deal possible on the ERL sleeving if you decide to go that route. When you are in the market def. shoot me a call at the shop or an email. Also, i come across vtec heads quite a bit, so if you need one i can usually do them for between 400-500 complete(Vc, Im, Tb, All valvetrain…)

Chris, you could of had 300 whp if you compression was right :bang:

That sounds very workable! Thanks…

Maurice, I figure it would have been closer to 270-280. I am definitely going to shoot for 300 on this B18b that is going in though :slight_smile:

Sounds just like me. I’ll be swaping my motor soon as well.

you did damn good for 10 hours and one person. it took me and 2 other friends like 5 hours just to get a motor in my car (our first time also). sorry to see your cracked sleeve, but im sure better things await. good luck on your b18b