going turbo

i have a 1990 ls stock internals with almost 200,000 on it want to turbo it before winter hits so i can work out the problems before spring for the rebuild i have a love fab manifold, intercooler of ebay 30" by 8.5" by 3 dont give me ish bought the ebay stuff dodge daytona 2.2 turbo (TE04H), have a 1g dsm bov, vortech 10:1 fmu, walbro 255lph fuel pump, and manual boost controller, i need to know how to keep the psi around 10 or under with the stock wastegate it has washers keeping it closed because when i got it the wastegate was open a little if i take some of the washers out to give it some play will it be fine i plan on switching turbos in the spring along with new rings bearings timing belt water pump and rod bolts and a few misc things like gaskets any tips would be helpful about my setup without spending an ass load of money all my piping will be made after i have the turbo, intercooler, and manifold on the car

Umm…Sentences would have made that ALOT easier to read, I’m really confused as to what’s going on in that blob, but I’ll try to decifer.

I wouldn’t use an FMU for fuel management, there are much better and more efficient ways available. And are you asking or telling on how to keep the boost under 10 psi? It sounds like you have the right idea with taking the washers out. And that’s about all I could decifer out as a response.

doesnt the dsm BOV let go around 5-7psi? I might be wrong. if it does, you should think about getting an aftermarket one.

a buddy of mine has the 1g bov also on his 94 civic ex he hasnt had a prob yet and he has hit over 14 psi at the track and yes im talking about spacing out the wastegate i have it spaced so the bar going to the valve has good tension on it now if i take 1 or 2 washers out it will have a little bit of play so it wont seat all the way would that cause problems

You can crush the bov slightly in a vice to make it handle more boost

dsm bov’s can handle around 16psi, crushed around 22psi.

im surprised no one is given me ish bout boostin after 200,000 miles :burnout: also why shouldnt i run an fmu i already bought it and put it on my car another buddy of mine bought a revhard kit for his 97 coupe and thats what it comes with he never had a problem :shrug:

is it tuned(your buddies car)? the reason that kits come with fmu’s is because it’s cheaper for the companies to offer. just b/c he hasn’t had a problem doesn’t mean it’s running right. an fmu will make your car run rich, most of the time it’s extremely rich. an fmu isn’t proper fuel management, it’s more of a bandaid. how do you know what your a/f ratio is? since your car is a 90 you have obd-0. you can use an ecu tuned with turbo edit or you can use chrome. look up xenocron on the boards, he’s a turbo edit guru, and he offers tuning himself. do some reading/searching regarding fmu’s.

hth.

shawn

an fmu is fine to get your car running. it is not the best option of them all, but you can boost you’re car and run quite safe with an fmu. i am running on an fmu right now and am in the process of saving money to get my car tuned with hondata. turbo guide recommends that you should not increase the boost past 7 psi with only an fmu for fuel management. you might want to invest in a high-flow fuel pump as well. timing is another thing you might want to address. if you are really afraid that your motor is gonna pop, you can retard the timing 1 degree for each pound of boost. you can do this either manually by adjusting the distributor(i.e. 7 pounds = 7 degrees total timing retard) or by purchasing a BTM which retards timing a determined amount of degrees per pound of boost.

as in my first post i have a walbro 255lph and i am also saving for hondata im jobless and going boost so i really dont have any income but just spent 800 on everything and still have 200 for the intercooler piping and downpipe more than likely i will retard the timing i also have an msd 6a box but it doesnt have timing retard or anything is there something i could use with the box and my msd coil to adjust timing

Won’t turobedit take care of all of that for you?

dont have any extra money

I think MSD actually makes a Boost Timing Master. Jackson Racing also makes a BTM.

Unless I am completely mistaken, I thought TurboEdit was free?

is there any info on it i went on there website and couldnt find anything on it

Yes turboedit is free. All you ahve to apy for is some bigger inejctor, a fuel pump for it. then a chip burner and a eprom flash erasable chip and reburn the chip all dya long…