The seller keeps telling me not to retard timing using n2o

I’m in the way of buying a zex wet kit (75hp shot). I’m gonna use it on a b20z and I know its a good idea to retard the timing (with a jacobs nitrous master mind or MSD) but he keeps telling me I don’t need that for a 75hp shot. The zex kit he sells already manage that to be safe…

I see everywhere tips like ‘‘dont forget to retard your timing!!!’’ and stuff, and it seems like he doesn’t want to screw me since he could easely make more money by selling me a jacobs unit. This is wierd…

he’s he stupid or what?

I ran a 75 shot for 6 months and never retarded the timing. Never had a problem with ignition. I have a B18A. Same motor I ran the nitrous on, is now turbo. Its a fail-safe is all it is. Plus you can get more power from it if you do it.

more power if I retard the timing?

You mean more power if I don’t retard the timing huh?

Less power, more safety.

The 75 shot will give you a nice boost. I would play it safe with NOS, retard it.

open up summit and read the caption under the Nitrous Mastermind. “For use on V8 engines”

Go one step colder plugs with a msd digital retard box. then you have everything to spray more when you want.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=msd-8975

Yes but you can use it on a 4 banger. But you are right about the msd, its cheaper anyway.

All try going with a b&m fpr, walbro fuel pump, and colder spark plugs, dyno tuned. If I hear detonation once, I’ll go get a msn digital immediatly.

The only thing in that list I would agree with are the colder spark plugs…

How are you going to dyno tune this? You have a chipped ECU? Hondata?

With NOS you really shouldnt need to fork over $$$ for dyno time anyways. A wet kit offers safe fueling already…you just need a way to retard the timing.

what are you talking about, have you ever even used NAWZ?
jk, seriously you shouldnt need to get a fuel pump yet. This is an integra not a civic. fpr’s are not for tuning. lol. xeno: i still havent gotten a ride in your nawz powered scooter.

Well looks like there is alot of different opinion on that. Some say retarding the timing isn’t as important as fuel management on a 75 shot, others like you say you NEED to retard timing. Thats what I wanted in the first place. I want to take every precaution but since its a wet kit I guess I’ll try it with a msd. If I get goose bumps everytime I use it or if I hear detonation I’ll retard my timing.

Fuel pump is a good thing since its a 75hp shot wet kit. FPR because I will have a b20z and we noticed this engine likes a little bit more fuel than the b18. And I’ll chip my ECU. I’ll bring the car to a tuning shop for peak efficiency. Not because I will have NAWSSS, but because I will have a b20z with my b18 ecu, + other mods…

Where I’m I wrong here?

fpr is not meant for tuning. if you need to add more fuel then remap your ecu.

I dont know what is your definition of ‘‘tuning’’ but what is it for then? I know it regulate the fuel pressure in the fuel rail so if you need more fuel pressure you’ll be able to get more by adjusting the aftermarket fpr.

I said I’m going to chip my ecu, peak efficiency. They should know what fuel map will be good to use?

Zex themselves recommend pulling 1-2 degress for the 75shot. Nitrous Express on the other hand does not recommend a timing retard due to the fact their nozzle has the best atomization qualities known to the nitrous market at this time. So in short, man up and by an NX kit.

Its at the push of a button like NOS, which involve some risks and knowing where you are going. As you can see in this thread, I’m not experienced with nitrous, I feel more confortable with zex for now.

You’re stock fuel pump is capable of pushing enough juice for your 75 shot. A fuel pump isnt necessary…just a precaution. A FPR is also not necessary…your rail pressure shouldnt drop even if you are feeding the Wet jets of the nitrous kit.

If you are getting your ECU chipped and professionaly tuned then forget the MSD. Pick an engine management that has Nitrous retard built in. I’m pretty sure Hondata does already…why double up?

I still never understood how anyone could think that the ECU running a B18 motor could run a B20 motor…this still ceases to amaze me. Fuel maps and design of the head/intake are competely different not to mention the B20 has .2 more liters of displacement and a different compression ratio.

Use the the correct stock ECU, use proper nitrous only timing retard and install the kit properly according to the manufacturers instructions. Thats all you need. Or go full standalone with nitrous control capabilities.

have you never seen ‘rules of attraction?’
“if a condom is 99% safe, and he wears two, than i’m like 198% safe.”
same rule applies here.

I’ve had NOS on pretty much all my cars. Never had a problem with fuel pressure, timming, or plugs. Ive always used NOS brand 75 dry shot. I had the nistrous mastermind on my car so I know it works with 4 bangers. I’ne been playing with NOS for years. The only problem I have ever had was hitting NOS in 5th gear and it caused a backfire through the intake and bent my throttle plant back 90 degrees. My suggestion, dont squeese it at too high of a gear. I only use it in 1st gear through 3rd and maybe 4th.

Yes the fuel pump isn’t necessary, I completely agree with you (I made some more researches) I don’t want to pick a msd either. Only if I get detonation but I doubt I will.

But I never said I want to run my b18 ecu on a b20…thats why I’ll get my ecu chipped to take all that stuff in consideration.

But yes a stock b18 ecu will run a b20, you just wont be at maximum efficiency.

i know someone who sprayed 100 shot on a built gsr motor with stock fuel pump with no problems.

make sure you retard your timing in some way, shape, or form. even if you use a chip that has nitrous control.

not safely, think about how much more air is going into the b20 rather than the b18, it will be running lean.

why in the hell would you ask our advise if you don’t take our response into consideration?

Sorry if I offended you. I don’t know why you said that but are you actually reading what I write? I wont be running lean, I already said I will have a fpr and I’ll go tune it to get the correct fuel map. I take your advices in consideration. Its just that there is so many different opinions. I just need to decide on what I will do considering the different experience people give me here. If I listen to everyone, I’ll never be able to decide if I get that part or not.
:hmm: :frowning:

Anyway thx for the help I appreciate it. I have my answer to my first question.