Turbo edit Questions

Hey everyone this is my first post in this forum. I want to say first of all there is alot of knowledged tuners :bowdown: here with some awesome info.

Anyway my question is what all do I need to start using TurboEdit. I have done research on it and haven’t really found enough info to clarify. I have a 90 teg :rockon: that i am doing a turbo setup this winter, and it sounds like the best way is to get a pm6 ecu instead of my pr4 if im correct. And I will need a rom burner to setup my chip, and how do i setup the ecu to plug in my laptop which I already have. Anyway if you guys could let me know where to find the best info and correct way to do it that would be great. Want to know also if I can retard my timing and do away with the MSD 6 btm module also, then I can save some cash.

Feel free to let me have it for being lazy, but i figured I will ask people using it for the best start to my research.

Thanks

I will post some pics on my endeavor when i start next month, and then the finished project.

Well…why dont you first start by posting what you have read…what you understand and what you don’t.

I’d be more than willing to help…but I need to know exactly what you need help with.

You can most likely use the PR4 you have…whats the code on the side of the ECU read? Usually its like 37820-PR4-XXX…what are the XXX’s? If its A02 or A10 you are golden. If it’s A01…you are not so lucky.

I can chip the PR4 for you. I do quite a few TurboEdit ECU’s these days. I can even setup up the datalogging cable for you as well to log data on your computer.

Check out my site for some TurboEdit info and then email me if you need some more help.

You can also find me on AIM @ xenocron1 most days.

http://www.xenocron.com/te

I just made 251 WHP / 235 TQ on my stock B18A @ 13psi. Proof TurboEdit works well, and yes you can get rid of that BTM.

BTW…those #'s are with my compression numbers being 190 100 190 210 :bang:

mine says pr4-L10…will I be able to use my pr4? thanks
sorry for hijacking your thread…

TurboEdit

What I understand so far is that turbo edit is a standalone type fuel mangement system. It requires a chipped ecu with the laptop connection my ecu is a pr4 A02. What I don’t understand yet is what all can Iadjust with it. AKA boost, air fuel, also is it a boost gauge. Mainly before i use it I want t understand it and all of its components. If you know where there is a complete write up of it tha would be great. Also if I decide to do it, I will go to you no questions asked.

There’s no real write-ups about TurboEdit per-se. It’s not a commercial product so you wont really find any of that.

There is the Turboedit website…www.turboedit.org

There is the Turboedit forum on PGMFI
http://forum.pgmfi.org/

There are a lot of posts on www.homemadeturbo.com about Turboedit and its users.

TurboEdit is not a standalone…TurboEdit is an Editor. You need to have a modified Honda OBD0 ecu. There are two parts…there is the editor (TE) and the code that runs your ECU.

Turboedit is like Microsoft Word (the program) and the code is like a DOC. Word opens the DOC in a nice looking format and easily allows you to makes changes to the DOC as well as some cool features.

TurboEdit is the same. It opens the BIN file and shows it to you in a nice format, and gives you features to make changes with.

TurboEdit does not hook directly to your computer and run. It opens the file and saves the file. Then you take the file and burn it to a chip. If you want to get really creative, you can try to use a chip emulator to make real-time changes, but that doesnt work so well.

In combination with TE I use ECUControl (www.ecucontrol.com). It is a standalone datalogging program that through a serial port (more modification to your ECU) reads the sensors that are reporting to your ECU and gives you some other feedback.

Thats to start…I’m sure you are properly confused :up:

Search for TurboEdit in these forums…I have made many posts even here about it.

Thanks for the info. I downloaded ECUcontrol and it seems real nice and easy to use. You didn’t confuse me yet since I work on computers all day long. When i need to get my ecu modified from you. What will you need from me as far as info to get a good basemap. Also from what i have read so far it looks like i may need to have a rom burner if i want to make any changes from turbo edit and when i am tuning. Also I was wondering if you can wire my ecu to hook up to the ECUcontrol program and how much would it be. I figure it would be good to let have some that has done it before wire it rather then me posibly screwing my ecu up. I plan on needig the ecu next month. I am going to continue my research of turbo edit and get myself ready for the streets in spring.

As much info about your setup as possible. Injectors, fuel pressure, turbo size, engine, and anything you can think of.

Yes you will. I recommend the BURN1 eprom burner from www.moates.net

The part is like $21 from a place called superdroidbots or something like that plus shipping. I’d do the install for like an extra $10…so like an extra $35-40 total probably.

Let us know if you have any other q’s!

I went to there website which is superdroidrobots.com, and I cant seem to find exactly what i need to purchase from them. Is there a chance that you could help me out here. My setup that I will have is a turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid,DSM 450 blue top injectors,I have a B&M command flo adjustible fuel pressure regulator which I have set to 48 psi right now with my current setup, I can set it to whatever you think is the best,turbo smart BOV, turbonetics evo wastegate, Variable boost control, port n polished head, stock cams, 8.7.1 forged pistons, with h beam forged rods, 2.5" downpipe, I want to start with 10 psi of boost and eventually go to 12 when it gets broken in. My motor is a b18a DOHC. I am going to order that rom burner probaly next week. Thanks in advance

MCU-016-104: RS232 to 5V TTL 4 inch Type 1 Serial Converter Cable

This is the cable you want.

Can you use one of the emulators like on the moates site to do real time programming and data logging? I’d like to not have to burn a new chip everytime I make a change on my map.

Well…TurboEdit has built-in support for the XTRONICS ROMulator but it’s iffy at best. I’m not sure if its a Baud Rate setting on the ROMulator or if OBD0 ECUs are just finicky like that. You can still put the ROMulator to good use so when you are out tuning you can just make a quick change in the map by uploading (with the car off) the map to the ROMulator. Like I said it doesnt do to well in Real-Time though.

Okay, that’s real time enought for me I guess. I just don’t like the idea of having to burn a ton of chips to finally get it right. Once you got your final map down I assume you would burn a chip so you can remove the emulator and stuff?

Correct

So theoretically you could either set up a basline based on what mods someone has perfromed and then tune from there, or is it possible to use a bin file that someone has already “tuned” for their car (assumming you have the same mods) and adjust it slightly for differing factors (altitude, ect.) Just curious im kinda in the middle of nowhere and have tried playing with both TE and UD, but I dont feel confident enough to tune it myself, yet.
Thanks

You can do either method really…the key is to have a way to monitor the AFRs (aka Wideband) and then dial it in further from there.

Anything close will run a Honda…mine has operated (in low load situations) anywhere from 9.6:1 upto 18:1 AFRs.

Tuning it in though obviously, is the art of bringing the best potential out of your combination while keeping it safe for a street vehicle.

Generally the 3 keys you need to know to create a basemap are engine, injectors, and fuel pressure. As long as the fuel pressure is close to stock you can recurve the stock 240cc fuel maps for any injectors using that specific engine’s maps as a base to work from.