Downpipe setup

I was looking on cheesefrogs website and was thinking about making my downpipe the same way he has his. Maybe using a 2.5 or 3 inch dp with a qtec electric cutout on the end and then just routin a pipe from the side of the dp to the rest of my exhaust. I want to do this because I have a HKS hi power exhaust that i dont really want to get rid of(Cost me a lot of money and i like the way it looks). However, the piping of the exhaust is only a little over 2 inches, so this will not be good for turbo exhaust. So i was thinking that whenever i wanted more power, I could just open the cutout and basically have an unrestricted exhaust system, but when i am just crusing i could keep it closed and it would be quiet again. What do you guys think?

downpipe_01.jpg

theres something about that manifold i like. and somethings i dont…

oh about the DP, its hard to run such a large DP on a street car because the biggest exhausts available are usually 2.5 inches, unless you can get a custom one. its not detrimental to the turbos health, but more a problem with performance if you choose to go from 3" to 2" go at least 2.5"…

my friend just got a 3 inch tapered to 4 inch DP from full race. that thing is crazy.

the only thing i could think of that might make that setup harder to route is our front crossmember. do you plan on keeping your A/C? the A/C compressor along with the front crossmember will make it even harder to route that setup. i’m not saying that it can’t be done, but it’s going to be alot harder for our cars than it is a g3 teg or a civic…

…but, that setup would be pretty cool if you were able to get it routed like that. good luck on that downpipe setup! :up:

werd what he said ^

forgot to mention that, we really have no space for big DPs unless you get an aftermarket X-member, and if you want, go dry sump. ahha

theres a guy pushing 700whp in his teg, went drysump for his DP.

I already have my whole a/c system gone, so no worries there. I just wanted to run a 2.5 downpipe with the cutout on the end and then run a 2inch(thats the size of the stock header piping right?) into the side of the 2.5 inch Dp. I was also thinking about how to make the dp and decided on buying a 2.5 inch mandrel u-bend with a 6inch radius. Do you guys think that would work? I drew it out on paper and i looked right, any suggestions appreciated. Oh ya, and what is a drysump? I thought that had to do with oil.

One more question. If i did get this setup to work properly, could i put two o2 sensor bungs on the dp(one for stock and other for wideband). I didnt know if this would be too close to the turbo. In the picture, he only has one. Thanks.

I have all 3 of my o2 senors right after the turbo. the first seonsor is about 4-5" away, then each sensor after that is 1" apart.

well, without A/C, by all means, do it! lol, if i didn’t need A/C in this humid houston weather, i’d so run a downpipe like that.

First, 3" and larger exhausts are plenty common.
Second, if you plan on doing any type of competition at the drag strip, a lot of classes require mufflers. That’s all.

Get a nice aftermarket X-Member and you will have so much room it’s not even funny lol. you can’t evens see the bar at all. It gave me such more room and ease to make my downpipe. it’s nothing special tho. just 2.5"

Man i live in florida and i gets hot as balls down here, but thats the price you pay for speed. By the way, who makes aftermarket crossmembers for our cars. Oh and i pretty sure my drag strip doesnt require a muffler because i see muslecars out there all of the time running strait headers so thats not a problem

A turbo counts as a muffler at most of those dragstrips…

Full Race
Z10
Place Racing

…in no particular order

do traction bars replace the front crossmember?

Where’d you hear that? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t. Open down pipes are LOUD.

They do at E-town, Atco and Island (tracks near me) and I’ve asked and heard some serious racers say it…

And usually they aren’t as loud as open headers…

Yes

Cool i didnt know that about the traction bars. From what i know open downpipes are pretty loud. One time i was cruisin next to a old school tsi and it was running a 18g with and open downpipe. That thing was soo loud and it sounded like shit. But it was kind of cool because all you could hear when he was crusing was the turbo whistling but when he got on it that thing sounded like poo poo. But it doesnt matter because it was really fast.

dsms with open downpipe dont sound like poo poo, they sound more like a jet or a rocketship or something. anyways yeah im pretty sure tracks accept a turbo as a muffler since it filters out like 1/3 of exhaust noise. open header is much much louder.

or you can do it this way…