Vortech supercharger B17??

I’m looking for anyone ELSE that has a Vortech supercharged B17 or B16. not for me but I have a freind who is really thinking to do this but wants to know if it will fit his GS-R with ABS in the way??? I know of B17Vortech who has done this but he’s innactive and so I’m not going to track him down. instead, if you have any info. for this then please let me know.

theres no kit made for the b17 although the b16 kit most likely fits…i was considering doing it because on a stock b16 it puts down 277hp to the wheels.Problem is the kit+intercooler is like $3,500 :gunright:

I read up alot more on it and I was able to find out that the supercharger is a tight fit. if you have ABS you’ll have to ditch it and as far as the aftercooler he was able to make it fit but had to move the battery to the trunk and also move one of the AC lines. if you don’t have any of these problems that he ran into( i.e. AC lines, battery, power steering) then it would fit. I also read that you can use the B16 SI and SI only power steering pump and mounting brackets. it mounts lower than ours. and using a CRV crank pulley gives you more power I think he was boosting 8 with his stock crank pulley then he got a CRV pulley and was boosting 11. very nice.

This info was gained from many many threads on this site and h-t.

interesting… I’d love to SC my B20

I wonder if the b16 SC would work? I don;t have AC or ABS

the 94-01 integra LS kit!!! it’s a little tricky but should work with little modding like the battery, and power steering pump. but why pay $4,000 when you can go turbo for half that??

turbo is just so unoriginal…

But in the long run, turbo makes so much more power, than a parasitic power sucking supercharger.

Also, B16’s DO NOT make very good low end power, due to their lack of displacement. Trying to build off that would only show measily results. B16’s make all of their power in the upper rpm’s, i.e., 7k to 9k rpms with Vtec.
Putting on a supercharger to parasitically take away high end power from where a B16 shines, is not the best idea.

If at all, I would assume that a SC B16’s power curve will look very flat–almost like a horizontal line. (Since the low end would improve, and be rasied, but the upper rpms would be pulled down, from crankshaft pulley drag.)

(I wonder if my turbo bias shows… :think: )

-Andrew

You will still make alot more pwoer top end then stock. if anything the Hp curve still looks generally the same. The torque curve becoems more flat. but it’s always higher then the stock torque curve. Adding a SC even with the drag it causes on the crank pulely does NOT decrease top end. That would be like saying a turbo decreases top end because the exhaust gases are getting bottled up trying to spin the turbo.

Of course there will be more power than stock overall. The engine will be operating above 100% Volumetric efficiency almost the entire time, and there will also be less positive boost pressure lag.
And SC B16 is always going to be more powerful than an NA B16. But IMO, there is more expandability with turbo FI than SC FI. That was my main point.

“Of the chemical energy that is released in the burning of gasoline, typically only about 25% is converted into useful mechanical work done on the car to move it forward” (IC Thermodynamics, Giambattista and Richardson).

So, why draw energy from the crankshaft pulley, instead of use exhaust gas waste? A SC will rob an IC engine’s 25% efficiency, and lower that percentage.

-Andrew

a SC’d b16 sounds like an amazing idea… with basically a FLAT hp and torque curve it would be an amazing road racing platform

Actually it would be an awesome road racing platform, with good throttle response out of the corners, where low end power is needed. Also, it would work well as a good AutoX platform, where smooth controllable power wouldn’t disrupt steady state turning too quickly.

I suppose every application needs a different engine.

-Andrew

Sry I took taht as in you were saynig it brought it lower then stock. hehe. Just making sure

short gears, high revs, small displacement, forced induction… its a winnign combo

I should seriously look at scrapping the b20 project and going b16 SC

(This is comparing an FI engine to an FI engine.)

Well, with roughly the same boost psi of turbo, compared to the same boost pressure with SC, the upper power-band would be pulled down. One would make more power than the other at different engine speeds. And more than likely, 10 psi @ 8,000 RPMS with vtec on a B16 turbo would make more HP than an SC B16 at 10 psi @ 3,000 RPMS without Vtec.

-Andrew

You’re not reading lol. I thought you were implying that SC on a b16 will yield weaker top end then a STOCK STOCK b16 cause of the drag. :clap:

I alreayd know the diff of SC and FI. I’m turboed as well remember :stuck_out_tongue:

i have a book…i will scan the pictures…but anyways they show a custom supercharger kit on a b17 and it sits where the the power steering pump reservoir goes (only requires relocation you can still keep a/c and ps). i personally like this setup because i know many supercharger kits require that bar that goes across the engine which in turn produces alot of losses and i hear they break quite often as well. the supercharger kit was produced by ‘PowerTrain Dynamics’ using a PowerDyne centrifugal supercharger that uses an internal belt drive that elimates gear to gear noise. The book states these kits have since been discontinued because the blower was originally sized for a v8 application. supposedly the car put down 237.3 hp and 166.7 ft-lbs on 6-7 psi with only fmu on stock internals and stock cams and what looks like stock header…cannot tell if the car is intercooled but more than likely it has fmic.

the book was copyrighted 2002 so engine management was still in its infancy…imagine what you could put down with neptune or something else comparable. i really like this kit tho because it seems it would be exclusive to the da/db chassis because of the way our engine compartment is layed out.

just found this—they have a ‘coming soon’ for acura/honda boooo
http://www.powerdyne.com/silentdr.htm

I think a SC B20 would be :bowdown:

Yeah, I understood you the first time. I agree. Good to know you’re on the right side of FI. :up:

Seriously now, why zapp power away from a small B16’s crankshaft, which is already working as hard as it can, when you can utilize it’s waste products to make even MORE power?
I think superchargers have not been nearly as popular with engines like ours because of the extremely small displacement. Big Block V8’s on the other hand, have more than twice the work done during the same revolutions per unit time, and can afford parasitic power loss during engine speeds all the way from idle to redline.

As stated above too, the SC on the B17 was even intended for a V8, not an I4—indicating the amount of aftermarket support and backing. Other than Vortech, how many other supercharger companies make products for B-seires engines? Now how many companies make Turbo products for B-seires engines?

(B20 SC? I think the increased displacement would be better suited with turbo, because it would spool the turbo at lower engine speeds. But the B20’s cylinder wall thickness is problematic, because of it being so thin.)

-Andrew

If ppl want a fast boost build up liek a SC. get a nice dual ball bearing turbo suited to yuor needs :smiley: problem solved. :clap:

if you guys want a good supercharger, search for the Whipple Twin Screw Superchargers, they are the best, you get the low end of a roots type supercharger and the top end of a centrifugal supercharger, so you have power from idle to redline all the time. The vortech setup will yield more power but your power curve will suck, with centrifugal units the boost builds as the rpms raise, so you don’t abtain max boost until redline and then you have to shift and build it back up, so your power curve will be mostly nothing below 4,000rpm so you will just have very short spurts of lots of power. Superchargers just weren’t meant for small displacement engines. Just turbo your car, you will save around $1500 more and will be way faster in the long run, turbo lag can be eliminated, but parastic loss can’t. I wanted to supercharge my car a while back but the pros of a turbo greatly outweight the pros for a supercharger.