sanding//paint stripping hood help

would a paint stripper like jasco or something work to take the oem paint off the hood?

if not

what grit sand paper would i use to wet sand to make sure the metal doesn’t look all scratched??

sorry n00b at these things finally got an OEM hood but its white and im going to paint it black

if your going to have it painted black, there is no need to take it down to the metal, just wet sand it with say 400, then when you get the whole thing down to primer, go over it with 600 wet. should be perfect to paint. dont use any paint stripper, it will only cost more money than you need to spend.

awesome i’ll be doing this today so when i wet sand it should i water where im sanding or do i get the sand paper wet?

Just get everything wet. I keep a bucket of water with me while I’m wetsanding. Can’t get it too wet…

thanks. also one last question, my hood will be primer black for awihle like half a year or even a year or so. i want it to look/feel smooth would it be weird to clear coat it? suggestions?

I wouldn’t. Rattlecan clear coats usually suck from my experience. Maybe someone else has had good experience with a certain brand. I have found they usually don’t look smooth at all and they yellow and look nasty. I would just do a good job of wetsanding with different grits between primer coats and be sure to give it a few good even coats.

what would be good for west sanding the coats? set sanding 400 than 600 to get the original paint ready than maybe like 1,500 and 2,000?

I’d probably start with 320 on the oem paint and just work your way finer and finer between coats of primer. Its up to you how smooth you want it to be. 2000 grit is not very abrasive. Its going to be smooth if you spend the time sanding with that fine of a grit though.