Removing quarter glass moldings?

How do you go about doing this? I just got my car painted so now im anal about every small detail and want to remove them to sand down and repaint with trim paint.

Searched here and H-T with no luck, so hopefully it can be done without busting them up and is relatively simple. Theyre expensive as shit to buy new anyway lol

TIA :read:

You really should have done that before paint man.
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187495&highlight=Quarter+glass
http://g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185207

Bump, im trying to do the same but the links are dead :frowning: can any one help?

The lower trim slides forward to be removed. Be careful not to break the green clips. The best way to get the top trim off is to cut the glass out from the inside. If you try to pull them off the plastic tabs will break. Tape the glass to the roof and quarter panel to prevent it falling and breaking!

Neat idea of removing the glass to get it all out at once! Of course I’d caution that if you don’t know what you’re doing you’re almost certainly going to break the glass. But even then, I’m sure you can find replacement glass (although not OEM) when you cannot find replacement trim and clips.

I recently removed all of my trim before I sent my car off to the body shop. I have some pics of the clips that may be useful but I’m realizing they didn’t autoupload to Flickr. If you’re interested let me know and I can post 'em later. I ended up breaking a handful of clips but IMO that’s better than having the body shop mask around the trim.

I should also mention that these trim pieces are completely overly complicated, a couple of the pieces are actually metal that is wrapped with some sort of rubber/plastic type material. So this means it might not take paint very well. I know that E-DA9 painted his window moldings as he prefers the look of them color matched. His was professionally done with the same paint as the car so likely adhesion is a lot better than something out of a rattle can. When you pull this stuff off you’ll be able to see what I mean. I’m still currently trying to figure out how I want to refinish mine before I re-install them after paint.

Hey Colling how about that trim on the driver side? Is it easy to remove the one colored black too I was thinking of replacing mine. You are right I right a couple of quarter trims in the yard and all broke especislly on the curve.

Which trim? A different piece than we’re already talking about? Because left/right sides should be the same.

Im talking about that trim on the driver/passenger side just above the rubbers that surrounds the door. Its where you mount the oem rain visor. I tried pulling it out and its tough are they bolted?

Oh, for the front windows. You need to remove the rubber window seal and then there will be a handful of phillips screws holding the trim in place.

Okay thankyou very much man I was able to get it out easy just putting it back might take some time for me.

Good Luck! I haven’t put mine back in yet, so if you have any issues feel free to share some pointers :slight_smile:

Replace the foam gaskets on the back of the stainless tracks before you replace them so you don’t end up with leaks. They sell gasket material in ribbon rolls on Amazon.

Thanks for the tip 2ndJenn, I hadn’t thought of that and didn’t even realize that needed to be sealed but totally makes sense. Any suggestions on brand or any details for what I should get? I’ll need to check mine to see what size the original foam was but IIRC it was pretty small. Quick search on amazon turned this up: https://www.amazon.com/Products-018-181417-Vinyl-Foam-Tape/dp/B007EXOU8E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1496591713&sr=8-13&keywords=foam+weather+stripping+automotive