If You do body work and paint.....Please read this

So we painted my car last night. Well…It came out perfect. No flaws except for some dents that showed up. But as we started to put it back together my painter put his arm on the rear quarter. It smudged a little. We then realized we didnt put the activator in the clear ! So the car is still very tacky. How can I fix this ? I just need the clear to dry so I can sand it and respray it. Please help guys. I really dont know what to do.

lol! hahahhaa i’ve seen this happen b4 with a student taking an auto body class. there may be a way to take care of all this in an easier fashion but for the student… he just had to get back at it with a DA sander and go to town with it ALL OVER again. and i must say he gunked up a ton of sandpaper. maybe u can call a few paint shops (that sell paints n stuff) and see what they have to offer and if they have any solutions to ur issue.

yea, I have seen this before too. My teacher didnt put enough hardener in the paint. But that was single stage. Since this is the clear im wondering if they might make a chemical that would just harden it.

im no expert but i thing the only 2 choices are to wait till it dries which might take a couple days and have at it again. or like the squeezethis said. have at it with a ton of sand paper and start all over.

Well starting over is what im gonna have to do. eh, oh well. If it came out this good this first time, cant wait to see the second !

well u might as well take care of those dents too while u are at it.

honestly that paint/clear probably will never dry. other students have done that b4 as well… (old cressida)… and well the paint just has never dried. if u want a different way to put it into perspective its like this…

take a SUPER OLD ASS can of paint that has been used n everythign and pop it open. look at the lid… the lid will have some paint caked onto it. u can leave that paint out for weeks and what happens is that it’ll never dry, it’ll feel gummy n stuff almost forever. i don’t think leaving it out or even applying heat will dry it bcuz it won’t have the activator stuff. only way to get the paint of the lid is to scrape it off, or to use paint stripper or something. so yeah. thats where u’d be at.

maybe u can try testing in a lil spot with some activator. i highly doubt it’ll work, but u never know.

I plan on blocking the whole car now. But the paint is dry. Its just the clear that didnt dry. I will probably get a big roll of 180 and go at it with my da. I honestly dont know what else to do.

Don’t take 180 to it, its just gonna leave a bunch of 180 scratches. I had this guy at work that painted his fishing boat himself but forgot to put hardner in the paint and he brought it into us and we painted over it and it dried. He hasn’t brought it back saying it peeled off or nothing. I dont know how much clear you have left maybe just put another quick coat of clear over it all and see. But don’t hold me to it, i’ve never ever had this problem. Goodluck

but painting over something that isn’t firm… its like painting play doh… it’ll be great til u touch it.

Exactly. If I reclear the car, the bottom coats of clear will still be mushy. Plus there is already bumps and shit all in the clear. So i ordered some 180 to get everything off. Then I ordered 220. So give me about two weeks, 3 if I still replace my core support. Any body done a write up on replacing one ?

dunno, but u could always make one or search for one.