windshield scratched!!!!!!!

wass up Gs!!!

i was washing my car the other day, found so many scratches on the windshield from my wipers , i tried turtle rubbing compound, it didnt work out,is there any way i can get rid of them. theyr not deep,if i scratch the surface with my nail, i cant catch them by my nail so they r not deep, but allover the passenger side, which is really annoying, pls help me out if you have any exp on this , give some tips on what are products i can use

thank you very much!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

[QUOTE=coke;2043032]wass up Gs!!!

i was washing my car the other day, found so many scratches on the windshield from my wipers , i tried turtle rubbing compound, it didnt work out,is there any way i can get rid of them. theyr not deep,if i scratch the surface with my nail, i cant catch them by my nail so they r not deep, but allover the passenger side, which is really annoying, pls help me out if you have any exp on this , give some tips on what are products i can use

thank you very much!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:[/QUOTE]

u’d need to use a rubbing compound and like a buffing machine or something. i’d be careful tho… don’t wanna make it worst.

and why did ur wiper arms scratch ur windshield? did u let the blades get that low or f’d up?

rubbing compound+ buffing machine would do the wonder? i was rubbing it with a rag it worked ,its like nothing changed but still i see a real small different that you cant even tell .

it was old blade rubber and dust , i wiped it or i got the car like that, not sure

[QUOTE=coke;2043070]rubbing compound+ buffing machine would do the wonder? i was rubbing it with a rag it worked ,its like nothing changed but still i see a real small different that you cant even tell .

it was old blade rubber and dust , i wiped it or i got the car like that, not sure[/QUOTE]

it worked? cuz from reading what u just wrote u are saying that u were rubbing it with a rag (and rubbing compound) and it worked. if so great. if not… ur writing is killing me.

cuz right after u say “its like nothing changed but still i see a real small different that you cant even tell .”… so can u still see the scratch or no? hehe. i’m not trying to give u a hard time, but i’m the one having a hard time reading and understanding this.

i still see them scratches very clear, i think they got a little lighter after i rubbed it, but maybe it was just my wishful thinking, i got confused, cuz the area i rubbed is so smooth.

look , i am just trying to find out what would work, if you feel me , you know.

sorry for not being clearing enough, my bad man

[QUOTE=coke;2043234]i still see them scratches very clear, i think they got a little lighter after i rubbed it, but maybe it was just my wishful thinking, i got confused, cuz the area i rubbed is so smooth.

look , i am just trying to find out what would work, if you feel me , you know.

sorry for not being clearing enough, my bad man[/QUOTE]

i suggest u keep going then… keep rubbing that thing, and when its all gone n stuff, then hit it up with some polishing compound.

Once you have the scratches that you can feel with your fingernail, you may want to rethink things out a little. With scratches that deep, try using Cerium Oxide with pads designed to use with that product, pads are of a felt like composition, or as an alternative, a wool pad. I would practice a little first before getting carried away. If you leave the pad too long at a spot, you’ll distort the glass image wise an not get optical clarity. Personally, i would work the whole windshield the best i could and try and live with what you feel is ok with you. Its a messy project, so be prepared.

i cant catch any of them scratches with my fingernail. in order to use Cerium Oxide, do i need to use a machine buffer? the reason i ask is b/c i think if i do it manually it’d be safer, cuz ive heard people use Cerium Oxide wrong , it would destroy the glass

If you or a friend have a random orbital buffer, use that, the cerium oxide is made into a paste, and have a go at it. it takes lot to do something to the glass, just don’t let it sit at one spot too long.

found this thread via search.

my windshield is HORRIBLE.
it has long scratches from the windshield wiper blades, it is unsafe to drive at night because of the tons of micro scratch reflections.

what i found is sort of confusing.

http://www.jracenstein.com/Store/items.asp?Cc=00019&iTpStatus=1&Tp=
^^ link for referance only, prices seem high to me.

what im guessing is that in order to do it right and make it worth while;

it would probably be best to get all 4 stages of Trizact abrasive discs (unless you know for sure what stage you need to start with),
a tub of Cerium Oxide, 3 or 5 inch rubber pad (with 5/8-11 shank, it should fit on a variable speed buffer/sander OR a drill. (harborfreight has both.))

Cerium Oxide & variable speed buffer is all my friend used to restore all the windows on his ooooold motorhome project. (like 15 panes of auto-glass, plus the windshield and mirrors.)

but because of how long the process would take to do my entire windshield, plus my windshield allready has a crack running about half way across from the passenger side. i will likely pay the 200 bucks or so to get the thing replaced instead.

the nice thing about buying all the stuff and doing it myself, would be that i have all the stuff when im done.
i planned on getting a 7 or 8 inch varriable speed buffer/sander from harbor freight anyway, so the additional cost from the rubber pad & shaft isnt too bad and would also be handy to have around for any sanding that needs to be done in the future. :wink: