Dry Carbon - Ugly but Functional

ahhh, the wonders of dry carbon, a friend of mine awhile back got dry carbon parts on his del sol, all the while, for the first few times he showed me pictures I thought it was flat black paint job, and i thought 'how weak is that, on ghetto flat black on a top secret gold… but he told me it was dry carbon… wtf is dry carbon?

i did some research, and after reading up on it it makes Vis look like crap! haha the process of dry carbon requires tons of freezing, in liquid nitrogen, it then freezes dry… theres no epoxy or laquer involved, and its actually stronger than any wet type carbon fiber.

not a good view at all… but the trunk lid, roof top, and hood are all dry carbon…

so what takes the place of resin? or is it some type of cold-cure resin?

yes, i dont know the composition of it though. but i know its pressure frozen, contributing to the strength of it. I believe McLaren F1s body panels are pressure treated carbon fiber as well.

Carbon parts for the aerospace industry are usually prepreg carbon, comes on rolls with the resin already in the cloth, and is kept in a freezer until it is cut and used. After layup the part is cured under heat and pressure in an autoclave.

so where can we get dry carbon hoods for G2 tegs?

dry carbon parts are dough. what makes carbon hoods so heavy is the resin and gel coat. this shit is almost as light as a sheet of carbon fiber.

ummm so where can i get it?

they are typically custom pieces, but so far there aren’t any pieces what so ever for our year integra. haha unless you have $800+ for the hood alone, dont aniticipate getting dry carbon for our cars in the near future. supply and demand for our chassis sucks.