milano red, new p-job- paint moldings??

Hey guys im getting a brand new paint job in the spring and i have been planning on buying jdm moldings, and i am unsure if i want to paint them or not. I just got come bronze c8’s for x-mas and when i put those on (in spring) i think ill want some “blackness” on my car to even out the colors, i have always planned on painting the moldings. Should i not paint them or is there a better way to add black to your color scheme? I was thinking maybe a carbon hood or smoking my one piece headlights, or painting them black inside… i dont know what do you think??

Why do you care what everyone else thinks? It’s your car and your decision.

Painted moldings would make it look like a GSR.

Don’t paint them unless you are painting the mouldings on the bumpers too. If it were up to me I think I’d keep them black, that’s just me though

Im in the same boat as you. I plan on repainting the teg in the spring. Im gonna get the jdm moldings and have them painted. I just think painted moldings look much better.

yes my plan was to paint the bumper moldings red as well.

Go with what you want. :up:

Personally, I was planning on doing a milano red repaint as well. Sadly, i found out that it would cost nearly twice as much as any other “normal” red. R-81 milano red is a tricoat paint, as opposed to other two-coat applications. Tricoat consists of a basecoat, midcoat, THEN clear. As opposed to others which are just basecoat and clearcoat. I priced paint numerous different places, and tricoats are right around twice as much (about 650 versus 350 for everything) as others. I’ve decided on something else that will be SO close to milano red that I really won’t have to do all the doorjambs/etc, but at the same time will look really damn nice. :slight_smile:

and that’s all i’m saying :stuck_out_tongue:

oh man i really like the milano red, what did u choose as an alternative?? do u have any samples?? i dont want to have to change the color of my car.

painted moldings+mirrors= :up:

i’d prefer not to expose exactly what color i plan on using just cause i really don’t want anyone copying me. :wink:

however, your best bet would be to take your car to different auto dealerships until you find a color that’s really close. if you can’t take the whole car, take your gas door. :up:

couldn’t a place that does paint mixing match you up a color that is very close to Milano, but in a two-coat?

you’d have to redo the whole car or it wouldn’t look right.

believe me, i’ve already looked into it. :frowning:

I just painted a friends 94 teg and it is the r-81 milano red and the guy at the paint store asked me if I wanted three stage paint or the two stage paint. I used SIKKENS autobase and the jambs match perfect. So try using SIKKENS as your basecoat and the clear of your choice on top of that.

wasen’t he looking to repaint the whole car anyways? I was suggesting this as an alternative to walking around car lots with a gas door looking at reds;)

yes i will be repainting the whole thing.

May I ask where you plan on getting your car painted. I also live in massachusetts and plan on getting my car repainted milano red in the spring. The only place i know is a local shop call hanson and tilton and they quoted me $5000. :stare: I dont even want the door jambs or under the hood painted. I fugured 3000 should be the price. have you got any quotes from shops? Thanks.

actually my friends dad paints cars on the side as a hobby and he is going to hook me up and do it all for free if i pay for the paint…

nice. your lucky

Ultimatly it comes down to what YOU think looks best… I agree on painted mirrors… but I decided to re-spray my moldings black instead, and i’m lovin the look…

yeah that does look pretty nice…but i think sometimes that, eventhough BMW’s and and stuff have no painted moldings that it kind of looks cheap… ill paint them and see how it looks…