sideskirt install help please.

i am fitting 94 accord sideskirts on my g2. i have them cut to size and are pretty much already on the car. i just wanted to know if anyone else that put similar sides on sealed the top where it meets the body? I have a rust problem already and im worried that if moisture gets in between the skirt and the body it will get worse. so if anyone has any info on this or knows what to use to seal it please let me know.

I don’t think it would be a good idea to seal the skirt to the body. But if you already had a rust problem underneath, you should have at least either sanded the rust down and sealed it with some rust paint (doesn’t have to be a good job because it’s hidden by the skirt right?).

I have RS sides on mine and i made sure that there was no rust leftover before i put on the skirt because i doubt my sides are ever going to come off in the near future. Make sure whatever holes you drill underneath the car are protected as well. hth.

word good lookin… your very helpful…

np…

i don’t know how it’s like to install the accord sideskirts… but for my RS sides, i had to drill three holes along the underbody, two holes at the front and two holes in the rear. Sprayed that ish good with protectant before and after i placed the screws in.

Post some pics :slight_smile:

what protectant did u spray on it? i had to cut the skirt cuz it was too long then i had to hot glue the end peice for the front back on then 2 screws thru the front and right now only one thru the bottom. the rust got the best of the back so i cant screw anything in there cuz there is nothing there to screw into. i will try to take some pics but weather sux right now ill get them in the next couple days.

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

So let me get this straight, you used a glue gun to put the end piece that you cut off back on the skirt? If that’s the case, bad news. You should of made a bracket to fit the two pieces together behind the skirt and used ultrastrong double sided tape (the grey 3m stuff) and finishing it off by bondoing the two together. The hot glue idea is making me a bit worried as the hot weather would simply turn that glue into liquid.

But on another issue, after I drilled the holes on the sides of my fenders, i sprayed the crap out of it with rust paint (tremclad) and sprayed it again half way while i was screwing it in and one last time after i had tightened it.

On my RS sides, there were a total of three screws along the underbody, two at the front and two at the rear. You can also purchase automotive screws (rust proof screws) at your local hardware store (it’s black and self tapping). hth…

good point about the hot glue… as cold as it is now i didnt think of that. I will try the bracket and tape instead. and thank u again

post pics. planning to add the same skirts myself.

Why didn’t you use g3 sideskirts instead? They’re the perfect length and all you have to do is cut stuff off. I’m also waiting to put my side skirts on. I want to make them as flush as possible against the body line (ie: no gaps) I’ve got the 3m double sided tape (damn it’s expensive) but haven’t tried it out yet. I still have to paint them.

i wanted something with a little more design to it. the g3 sides are too plain the accord sides have a nice design to them it flows real well with car. plus i plan to get the accord rear lip also so i figured it would go nicely together. i will post some pics when i finally get it done the weather has been real shitty i haven’t had a chance to do any work.