should i go with flat black

hey i have a 1990 integra Ls and i was wondering if i shoulD paint it flat black. I didnt want it to stand out and i havent really seen any other g2 in flat black. So leave a message and tell me what u think! If not painting my car flat black what color then??? please reply
RACERTEG690

it looks great in the rain and at night.

but it does get dusty really fast.

No, unless you want people asking you “so when are you going to paint it” all the time.

if you are, go with semi-flat black it is darker and a lot smoother

imo flat black stands out like a sore thumb… if you don’t want it to stand out, then paint it a stock color, better yet, don’t repaint it at all. I really like how flat black looks, but I wouldn’t say its “lowkey”, I see flat black and primer cars all the time, and they always stand out to me.

i agree. flat black is very unique = stand out…

those pics are without clearcoat. when the car is wet it is a lot darker, so a satin clearcoat would make it a nice deep black color.

and yeah i do get asked by some people what color im gonna paint the car. But the ones who appreciate that kind of work know exactly what look im going for.

i have my car flat black. i love it. but i do get ask. " what color are you painting it" but it will fade after awhile as in the color. i was wondering if anyone knew if there is some kind of coat to put on the flat black paint. i heard if i get a place to put a clear coat on then it will look black therefore defeating the purpose of flat black.

shyep.

I can appreciate a Flat Black car done right. :up:

saint did u paint ur car and if u did, did u use a paint gun or cans let me know!
RACERTEG690

i seen an s10 this weekend that had almost the same idea that i wanted in a paint job it was old school black primer it had almost a semi gloss to it with blue pin stripe flames.

i want black primer with a nice accent color that pop’s (orange, green, etc.)

the flat black is starting to come back alot, Jesse James has a newer i think its an 03 ferrari modena in flat black and its hot. I’ve been thinking of trying to find another G2 with crappy paint on it and paint flat black.

My integra is flat black, here’s a pic, I think it looks great… although the pics show all the little imperfections :-/

Flat black kicks ass, just make sure you use the right paint… This was my 3rd TIME REDOING the paint on this car and I finally got the right paint… it doesn’t scratch, and it repels rain and makes it bead off like normal paint. It looks great! I need to get my rims now and the tein suspension and the car will look 100% better. It attracts attention like crazy, but i haven’t been driving it since it was painted cause it has no rims, and i don’t want the bad attention(all the ricers know what i mean). Not all attention is good attention!

one more :slight_smile:

What paint was it and where did u get it
racerteg690?

Wel I tried it before with a paint gun and some enamel paint… that absorbed too much water… then I tried to black primer the whole car, that failed miserably… so I went to wall-mart under a good friend’s(who happens to paint cars profesionally) advice, and picked up 8 cans of “KRYLON flat black”. Now obviously having him there made the process much easier… and the car look much better than your average can spray paint job… but it’s easy to do. Just put all the cans into a large bucket of hot water and then after priming the car with black primer, go at it with the krylon and do even strokes removing your finger from the spray at the end of each stroke. Evenly cover the whole car, wipe with a tack cloth, then look over it to see any imperfections, wetsand any little imperfections with fine grit paper(1000-2000) and then give it another coat. Should come out great, and flat black is very forgiving. Costs very little but looks bad ass :rockon: If you need any more help just ask ! :slight_smile:

P.S. Make sure you do this in a garage, that is more or less air tight, and make sure you have masks on… it’s also a good idea to put some water on the ground beforehand to catch any dust! MAKE SURE YOU USE KRYLON, I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! Krylon is 1000% better than any other spray paint, and it repels water and scratches, and sets very quickly. Good luck! And for god sakes, YES, PAINT IT FAT BLACK!!! you won’t regret it.

If you have a 51 mercury… then yes paint it flat black… if you have an integra? no.

why the bucket of hot water??? even out the temp of the paints??

I used Tremclad Automotive grade flat black paint. Kills and prevents rust… and gives a nice hard topcoat.

You put it in the bucket of hot water to build pressure inside the can and thus increasing how even the spray is, and less spattering. You will find the paint comes out much easier as well. It really does make a difference, i was demonstrated this first hand by my buddy, cause I asked the same question.

And I used tremclad before he suggested the krylon, the thing about krylon is that it has a plastic build into it to prevent scrapping, and marks like that. It also prevents rust and water from getting through. It creats a very hard coat. I’m not knocking your paint job, just this is what I’ve been told by a few reputable sources, and it was featured in sport compact car just a little while ago and they used the same strategy as i told you guys about.

hmm well maybe ill shoot a layer over it next spring. thanks for the tip.