painting my type r lip

Wut are the proper steps in painting a new abs lip?
It is a type r lip and it is black abs plastic and my car is black. Wut paint should I use and wut process should I do to paint it? Taking it to a professional is not an option. thanks.

It will turn out pretty good, even if you dont use professional car paint.
Should be pretty easy
Sand, Prime, Paint.

well, being that you’re too lazy to even spell “what” correctly, i would highly recommend taking it to a professional to avoid your lip coming out looking like poo.

but if you must do it yourself, you’ll need to buy the following:

degreaser
sandpaper
sanding block or pad
primer
paint mixed to match your car
reducer
clear coat with flex additive
compressor
paint sprayer
rubbing compound
polish
wax

first you use the degreaser on the part itself to remove any and all possible contaminants. you’ll want to use a mask and gloves to avoid burning your skin, lungs, or eyes.

next you need to wet sand the part to assure proper adhesion of the primer. i would say anywhere from 400-1000 grit; the finer the grit the longer you’ll be sanding, but don’t just get 400 because it’ll take less time. patience is key.

prime the part next, using the auto paint primer you purchased. make sure you cover the entire part evenly.

normally sanding isn’t necessary with primer, but double check it by running your hand along it. if you’re doing it yourself you should be experienced enough to know what to feel for.

next hit it with the first coat of paint. before you begin spraying, ensure there’s no water in the air lines of your compressor (or the paint will look like shit). mix the paint and reducer in a 1:1 ratio in the spray gun reservoir. HVLP guns are best.

after the base coat dries, it’s up to you if you want to do a second coat. if you did the first coat properly, you shouldn’t have to. sometimes it’s beyond your control though and you may have to sand down and touch up an area. whenever you sand, make sure you’re wet sanding, and on a painted surface it’s best to use a finer grit (800 or so) to avoid going too deep.

after you’re satisfied with the base coat, it’s time for the clear. it’s sprayed the same as the base (obviously with a clean reservoir on the spray gun). even coating is IMPERATIVE.

once the clear has dried, it’s time to break out the rubbing compound. different brands differ slightly in their use, so follow the instructions of your compound. once that’s done, use the polish, install, and enjoy. :up:

Thanks for the info. but lose the stupid comments.

my bad, i was under the impression that my service in iraq qualified me to exercise my first amendment right. it certainly allowed you the same thing. :shrug:

cool man, you got me.

keep it up, n00b. chalk up another name for the ignore lists of 15-20 of the most knowledgeable members here. congratulations, you get no help from now on from any of us. :up:

get on aim

I hate people who say “n00b” like their cool or something…fag

haha, i called my buddy a noob in class one time, no one knew WTF i was talking about.