water is leaking in to cabin!!!!! HELP!!

:argh: there is water leaking in from my drivers side. the water seems to be comeing from the auto seat belt tracks.

for those in socal you know its raining like crazy right now, something were not really used to…

anyways to the point. the window is closed, rolled it up 3x’s and even went out the passanger door to check. of course the harded it rains the more water coming in.

where is the water coming in from and how can i stop it.

someone please help, i just put in like close to 1500 jsut to get it running on 4 wheels again.

seriously this was the last thing i was think of that could happen, didnt even think about it.

so any help given i will be very greatful.

DRIVER side leaks really haven’t been addressed much on this site… I seem to remember one article a long time ago that was as detailed as a tegtip on what caused it and how to fix it, but I couldn’t find it just now.

If your problem is because of the door not shutting into the door seal all the way, try this thread: http://g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48338&highlight=water+driver+side

I seem to remember something about the seatbelt track being a cause too, but I can’t remember the fix for it. Anyone else know where any of this stuff is at in the archives??

:bump:

Maybe this is your problem,
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88730&highlight=passenger+side+leak

SEARCH is your guide dude.

You owe me

Oh and yes it sucks, now in socal, raining hard man i live in LA.

thanks guys but neither of those are any way related to my problem… :bawl: this sucks, i cant find anything on this. the window closes all the way. the water is not comeing from the window. and the water is not comeing form the cowl either. its comeing from up top. i have searched and nothing similiar is comeing up. this is the only place where it is leaking. the it looks like its coming from somewhere above the tracks. its dripping down the tracks and was making a nice big puddle on my dash then down to the floor. left hand side of the dash between the guage and sil.

do you have a sunroof? it could be leaking from there. my car leaks through there but rarely and not that much comes out, it only does it when it rains like a mofo. havent gotten around to fixing it.

yes i have a sun roof, but if that was the case wouldnt it leak in other places. like all around and not just on place. it look like its just comeing from the driver’s side. also the sun roof is sealed and not leaking. i just checked it. there is no water leaking around the seals of that. i think i may have found the problem its on top, where the top of the roof meets with the black edge. ill try to take some pics of it when i can. i cant really do it right now, well i can but i cant up load it. but its like the seal around the door above the window. its like right where end of the roof where it is metal and where it is a black plastic.

kind of like this :

lsunroof l metal l black runner l metal l door black piece l

the place where the last piece of metal and the door black piece meet. there is a gap right above where it is leaking that is wider then the rest of the plastic piece.

what can i do to seal it up?

i had the same problem. what i did was got a glass of water and tryed to see if the water would go around or over the sealing part( the plastice piece to the window molding) or just stay and drain. it happened to me on both sides of my car. i got window sealing from autozone( the clear kind) and just plug it with that. nothing has happened ever since. it is just a temporary fix but you probably need your winow resealed and new trim around the window.

Until you track it down and seal it up, you might try a decent car cover. Even if it is just water repellent, it will keep the water from getting inside your car and stinking things up. I had a similar problem with my truck, but didn’t really care because I mainly just used the truck for hauling crap to the dump. Now that I am trying to sell it, I kind of wish I had paid more attention to it! Keep us posted.

Your leak is either coming from the window seam or roof seam molding (black piece that runs from rear window to front windshield across the roof). You need to isolate the leak by doing the water test suggested above. If testing the roof seam molding the procedure is to first remove the seam molding then apply the water test. If the test is successful you’ll begin to see water leaking in the pillar area. If so, you’ll need to apply some automotive grade seam sealer like these to the leaking areas (it is suggested to use the brushable type).

update

ok i have found out that it is not the window seam. both sides are sealed

up with some clear silicon (sp?) sealant. so its not that. if its the roof seam

molding, how can i get it off so i can seal it? is there a special way to get

them off so as to not break anything so that i cant get it back on? same

thing for the window seam, anyone know how to get them off? i tried but i

could not get it to move so i stopped. was afriad i would break it.

so how can i get those off with out breaking them?

thanks,
Acrid

leak

I’m also having a leak problem but it’s leaking in the back, my right back seat is always soaked after i wash the car (or raining etc… ) I searched and couldn’t find anything either, anyone have any idea’s??

ok this is a question that has to do with the hole leaking thing ok my drivers side floor gets wet when it rains i dont know how my seat is dry my door panel is dry under my dash is dry where could it be coming from?? it seems to be the center of the drivers side first if it really rains and i dont have my car covered up i will have over an inch of water on the drivers side and that sucks…
if anyone could help thanks
justin

ok so in desperation, i used a screw driver and just popped those thing off. i then got some water and soaked certain areas and could not really locate and area. i just ended up putting some rtv window clear sealant. i have not tested it as of yet. but i will. but it looks as though the weather stripping from the winshield could be replaced.

:bump:

The “weather stripping” around the windshield is cosmetic, it does not “seal” the windshield from leaking. The windshield is glued in place w/ a very strong and very durable “urethane” adhesive. This urethane not only secures the windshield but also seals it.

I had a leak from the same place, it came from the top of the windshield at both corners and at specific places along that piece of weatherstripping. I used some black silicone (car is black) and that did it. There is also a gasket that sits above the door windows on both sides that can deteriorate. The gasket sits between the trim piece and the frame of the window, try either one.

I taped off specific areas that seemed to be trouble spots and leak tested them one by one to pinpoint the problem. Give yourself an hour and you will find the problem

This might be the case for both you and Acrid… first off sunroof drain tubes are bitches…

Okay… i had a leak in my trunk which was the sunroof drain tube (apparant common problem)… For Acrid… it could be that tube… it runs along the teg to the back wheel well to drain water coming in the sunroof (yes… even if it is closed)… perhaps it’s come loose near the sunroof, or even cracked <Shrug> otherwise the roof seal (black little plastic strip) might be a good guess… as for Clipse… whenever it rained… the water would run down the sunroof drain tube, to the trunk… and if i was parked facing downhill… all that water poured underneath the rear seat… so i had some unhappy passengers… heh… i caught it in time before it did any real damage though… so if you have a sunroof… check that tube… it’s about a 3/4" tube located behind your power antenna (or manual antenna) in your trunk… You gotta tear out all the interior on your trunk to get to it though… hope that helps…

Has anyone ever solved this ‘drivers side’ leak problem???

yes, there is a fix for this leak and it has been posted. You need to remove the window seal to get access to the screws that hold the black window trim to the body of the car (runs from mirror to the B pillar). Remove the many screws that hold the trim panel on (there are about 15). Remove the trim panel. The water is leaking in because the foam seal on the back of the panel is dry rotted. Remove all of the seal from the trim panel. Use one long continuious bead of silicone of gasket maker on the back of the trim panel and reinstall.

I took my whole inner roof off to try and isolate this damned leak. It turned out that the leak was coming from the top corner of the drivers side windshield. I also found out that the metal was all surface corroded. I did the water leak down test and water dripped in pretty bad.

I took off the trim piece around that area of the windshield. Sealed it up with 3M industrial adhesive and re-sealed it. After about an hour of pouring water, I managed to fix that leak! (that was a big source of the leak, let’s just hope that it’s not leaking from anywhere else!).

Took about two hours to do all of this.

Got pics?