yet another dash light problem

I noticed my cluster dont light up but everything else works fine. Checked the dimmer switch but its wired up properly, fuse it good. Im gonna swap out the cluster for a different one but if that doesnt work does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?

Is it only the lights in the cluster itself, do the other dash lights work, ashtray/cig. lighter, heater control panel, CC main switch, fog light/rear window defog/hazard switches?

If it is just the cluster, pull the cluster and test the red/black lead, [illumination power] at the cluster plug for 12V+ when park/head lights are on, if good test for ground on the red lead, [illumination ground from Dash-lights Brightness Controller]. 94

its actually the whole thing cluster, climate control, buttons. Clocks work. dom lights works and all. Fuse checked out fine.

Dome light is on fuse 14 - 15A, [hot at all times] the “dash lights” are on fuse 11 - 15A, [hot when park/head light switch is on] all but the glove box light, clock and radio readouts are controlled by the DBC, [Dash-lights Brightness Controller] which supplies the ground, [through resistance for dimming]

If the clocks, [and stock radios] digital readout dims when you turn on the park/head lights and the glove box light works, the problem is not the pos.(+) side of circuit, it is on the ground side, so the first thing to check is the DBC.

Remove switch so it can be unplugged and have access to plug, using the same gauge or thicker wire as the wires in the plug, make a “jumper lead” and connect the black lead and the red/black lead together, stuff a 1/4" of bare wire of the “jumper” into the plug terminals of the black and red/black leads, turn on the park/head lights, do the dash lights work?

If not, use the “jumper lead” to supply a direct chassis ground to the red/black lead, one end of jumper stuffed into red/black leads terminal and the other end connected to any ground point, [just about any metal inside the car] turn on the lights, do they work now? 94

Alright ill give that a shot. also the headlights come on when the ebrake goes down and they stay on until the car is off. Headlight toggle on the column only works when ebrake is up

You have DRLs, [daytime running lights] if you look, it is the high beam lights that are on, [dim because power is supplied from DRL relay through resistance], once you turn on the headlight switch, [park lights on a 90 Teg] the DRL relay is switched off and the headlight switch supplies power to the lights and switching between high and low beam is possible, you should however still be able to “flash to pass” even when DRL relay is on. 94

I do know about the DRL but when i have the headlight switch off the headlights still come on bright with the ebrake down. Also when iswitch the headlights on it doesnt do anything. Never used to do that to my other tegs

OIC, what year is your G2?

So I understand…

When you release the hand brake the head lights come on, but at full intensity, is that correct and is it the high or low beams?

Does the high beam indicator in the cluster also turn on, if so, is it also at full intensity?

You say turning on the head light switch does nothing, does that mean you can not switch between high and low beam, [high beam stays on at all times]?

If so, [high beams stay on] do the low beams also come on when switched on, [along with high beams]?

Do the head lights work properly if you do not release the hand brake?

If answer to most of the above is yes, my guess is DRL relay is bad. 94

Its a '90 RS
The headlights come on as low beams.
The high beam indicater and headlights do work when the headlight switch is in the “on” position
and When the ebrake isnt released i can turn the headlights on and off (low beams) but once the ebrake is released then i can no longer turn the headlights off until the car is turned off

Do the DRLs turn off , [low beams] if you use the flash to pass switch, [head light switch off]? 94

The low beams stay on once the ebrake is released. If the ebrake isnt released the lights do not come on unless i switch them on. The flash switch does work but with the ebrake down the low beams are still on.

On the dash all lights dont work but the signals and the lights for the switches work.

Sounding more and more like the DRL relay is bad, in kind of a strange way, [working, just not exactly right] I will have to see if I can find more info on them. 94

i second this problem! my cluster and heater core dont light up, but everything else works, i checked the fuses and they are all fine. should i just change my cluster unit? oh yea recently i moved my cd player and it blinked off then it went back on. and my heater core knob broke so its stuck on “hot” (i dnt kno if this would affect the cluster)

i second this problem! my cluster and heater core dont light up, but everything else works,

What do you mean, no illumination, [dash lights]?

When you say, “heater core” do you mean Heater Control Panel?

Finally, when you say, “but everything else works” what exactly do you mean? 94