Jump starting a 91 with a 2009

Is it alright to do boost a 1991 Acura Integra GS with a 2009 Mazda 3 without messing anything up? iv heard people saying it can kill battery’s is this true?

Any car with a 12V system can boost any other car that has a 12V system as long as proper boosting is done.

Connect jumper cables to running car, connect the pos.(+) cable to dead batt., start the working car, connect neg.(-) cable to ground point, dead batt. neg.(-) post is not the best spot, engine/transmission is better, without doing anything else, wait a few minutes, turn the ign. off on the working, [stop engine] start dead car, disconnect any jumper cable end as soon as dead car starts, [easiest by second person].

Boosting should only be done if a batt. charger is not avalable, a cars alt. is not designed to recharge a dead batt., that’s why, when you make the connections and wait that few min. before trying to start the car, the other cars batt. helps put a “surface charge” on the dead batt., no it’s not so hard on your alt. when cables are disconnected.

Boosting should also only be done if you know the batt. is just low, not dead, [damaged] or damage can be done to running cars charging system.
That’s also why you never leave the running car running when boosting, very bad and expensive things can happen, especially if running car is newer.

If you are at all worried about it disconnect the good batt. pos.(+) cable and connect jumpers directly to batt. of both cars, wait that few min. and then start dead car, disconnect as soon as started and reconnect batt. cable. 94

that’s an outrageously informative post. nice to see that you’re still around here fcm. your electrical knowledge is much appreciated.

[QUOTE=fcm;2045096]
That’s also why you never leave the running car running when boosting, very bad and expensive things can happen, especially if running car is newer.94[/QUOTE]

Damn, I didn’t know that! In fact, when someone requests a boost, I have the running car not only idling but revved-up as well when applying the boost. Thanks for the heads-up.

Its completely dead not to sure whats wrong with it i just need to start it to get it outside to clean it all up. the paint looks like garbage right now because the dust on it.

Push! ;]

So to be safe, disconnect the Mazda batt., use jumper cables to connect it to the dead batt. in the G2, wait a few min., start the G2, disconnect the jumper cables and reconnect the Mazda batt. your done. 94

[QUOTE=fcm;2045096]Any car with a 12V system can boost any other car that has a 12V system as long as proper boosting is done.

Connect jumper cables to running car, connect the pos.(+) cable to dead batt., start the working car, connect neg.(-) cable to ground point, dead batt. neg.(-) post is not the best spot, engine/transmission is better, without doing anything else, wait a few minutes, turn the ign. off on the working, [stop engine] start dead car, disconnect any jumper cable end as soon as dead car starts, [easiest by second person].

[/QUOTE]

Let me see if I got the sequence:

1. connect jumper cables (on + - battery posts?) to working car [engine off]
  2. connect positive (+) cable to (+) post on dead car battery
  3. start working car [engine on]
  4. connect negative (-) cable to grounding point (engine/tranny) on dead car
  5. wait a few minutes
  6. turn ignition off on working car [engine off]
  7. start dead car [engine on, hopefully]
  8. disconnect jumper cables as soon as dead car starts

Is that correct?

Yes. 94